Windows 9 and Windows Phone 9

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I've been following Insideris for a while and they have unveiled two nuggets about the next version of windows and windows phone

WINDOWS 9 AND WINDOWS PHONE 9: FINGERPRINT SHORTCUTS
Windows 9 and Windows Phone 9: Fingerprint Shortcuts

However, upon learning (see article about apple aquiring AuthenTec ) that Apple has recently acquired a company that specializes in fingerprints, there is no turning back now because this is pretty much what we have written months ago.

The question is: did Apple also learn about this months ago and hence made a panic purchase?​

WINDOWS PHONE 9 AND WINDOWS 9: LIVE TILES V3
Windows Phone 9 And Windows 9: Live Tiles v3

Let?s talk about the Live Tiles.

Currently tiles are great but they can be used in a different, more efficient way.​

supposedly the next version will have a hotspot feature on some tiles that will allow even developers to add more specific app behaviors
windowsphone9.png

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I just hope that by the time they get WP8 worked out and into the market and leave WP7 behind, they've finally got their game together so it can be a system that is built upon instead of dumped and abandoned every couple of years.

I'm no know it all in the realm of Smartphone OS's, and I may be wrong, but, the others don't make it so that the upgrade to their OS essentially cuts out the previous OS's where apps are concerned. I know they say the WP7 apps will work on WP8 but I'm waiting to see since they've developed it off a different kernel. It just kinda screamed of WM's abandonment.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I just hope that by the time they get WP8 worked out and into the market and leave WP7 behind, they've finally got their game together so it can be a system that is built upon instead of dumped and abandoned every couple of years.

I'm no know it all in the realm of Smartphone OS's, and I may be wrong, but, the others don't make it so that the upgrade to their OS essentially cuts out the previous OS's where apps are concerned. I know they say the WP7 apps will work on WP8 but I'm waiting to see since they've developed it off a different kernel. It just kinda screamed of WM's abandonment.

They had to cut clear of WP7 to make the platform future proof (the WP8's OS support up to 64 cores cpus), and make it easier for devs to port apps between W8 and WP8, so upgrading shouldn't be a problem in the future.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, well, that was basically the same logic they were selling about moving on from Window Mobile to Windows Phone. Only now we discovered WP7 was just a bandaid and they had planned on WP8 all along. Seriously bad marketing and OS development on their part.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes, well, that was basically the same logic they were selling about moving on from Window Mobile to Windows Phone. Only now we discovered WP7 was just a bandaid and they had planned on WP8 all along. Seriously bad marketing and OS development on their part.

No it wasn't.

We always knew there could be a problem if the kernel changed.

WP7 was based on CE.

There was light talk of future integration with Windows 8, but for a seamless integration it would have to have a kernel change. That would match it with full blown Windows. Such a change would guarantee compatibility for many many years into the future.

Windows 7's OS never had such a guarantee. There was just optimistic hope that they'd find a way to be able to find an update process that would allow for a complete kernel change.

The only future proofing with WP7 wasn't with the OS itself. It's the apps. That's why WP7 doesn't allow native code. Instead, apps are built on top of Silverlight or XNA. This allows apps to run on WP8 even with different base code.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
WP7 has been working on the SAME kernels that they created in 1998 for windows CE. 14years ago!!

WP8 will be using BRAND spanking new Kernels meaning that we should not be left behind any more ( for a while)

im glad WP7 got dumped... WP7 is still a GREAT phone and the lack of apps was 100% up to the Developers , even doh they dint have Native coding it dint stop other GREAT AMAZING apps/games to be created....(and are still being created!) all it did was push away LAZY Developers who dint want to waste time making it all work as is.

lack of features also had nothing to do with the Current build of WP7 .... 99.99% of features people wanted where available on WM6.XXX witch ran the SAME system that WP7 currently runs on. MS kinda screwed up here doh.... I dunno how the upgrade from WM6.XX to WP7 went backwards on features ... but w/e

and now im gona worry about W/WP8 and not W/WP9 considering all you see on W/WP9 is 100% speculation!

Last edited:

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
WP7 has been working on the SAME kernels that they created in 1998 for windows CE. 14years ago!!

Actually, CE dates back to 1996. And WP8 will run on the NT kernel which first was released in 1993. But, in comparison, iOS's Darwin is based on NEXTSTEP, which was released in the late 80's. That in turn was based on BSD, which I believe got started some time in the late bronze age.

/geek

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I've been following Insideris for a while and they have unveiled two nuggets about the next version of windows and windows phone

WINDOWS 9 AND WINDOWS PHONE 9: FINGERPRINT SHORTCUTS

WINDOWS PHONE 9 AND WINDOWS 9: LIVE TILES V3
Currently tiles are great but they can be used in a different, more efficient way. Supposedly the next version will have a hotspot feature on some tiles that will allow even developers to add more specific app behaviors

Well, screw WP 8, I am holding out for WP9, which should be out only 36 Months from now.

Obviously, WP8 is already obsolete........

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, screw WP 8, I am holding out for WP9, which should be out only 36 Months from now.

Obviously, WP8 is already obsolete........

are you joking? Who said Wp8 was obsolete? MS never said Wp8 will be obsolete. They even said it won't happen in a long time. even look it up for god sakes

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
are you joking? Who said Wp8 was obsolete? MS never said Wp8 will be obsolete. They even said it won't happen in a long time. even look it up for god sakes
Calm down Danny.... it was Sarcasm... a joke....I swear!!

Gotta remember to put a smiley on the end of those things, huh?

anonymous3498571

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
LoL.

Though I think WP9 will be closer to 48 mos from now.

If the things the OP talked about have any truth to them, I would imagine they'd be more about 8.x than 9.

But I haven't seen these rumors anywhere else. So for all we know that site could just be making it up.

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
im glad WP7 got dumped... WP7 is still a GREAT phone and the lack of apps was 100% up to the Developers , even doh they dint have Native coding it dint stop other GREAT AMAZING apps/games to be created....(and are still being created!) all it did was push away LAZY Developers who dint want to waste time making it all work as is.

You can't be this naive. Developers are people too, you know? They have to pay bills, put food on the table and all that. Once you move outta your momma's basement you will maybe understand it too.

No matter if it's a single independent developer or a company like Instagram, at the end of the day it's a business and it's about investments and returns. Get real.

lack of features also had nothing to do with the Current build of WP7 .... 99.99% of features people wanted where available on WM6.XXX witch ran the SAME system that WP7 currently runs on. MS kinda screwed up here doh.... I dunno how the upgrade from WM6.XX to WP7 went backwards on features ... but w/e

I think I got eye cancer just from reading that, so I won't even start to attempt to explain this one...

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
You can't be this naive. Developers are people too, you know? They have to pay bills, put food on the table and all that. Once you move outta your momma's basement you will maybe understand it too.

No matter if it's a single independent developer or a company like Instagram, at the end of the day it's a business and it's about investments and returns. Get real.

I think I got eye cancer just from reading that, so I won't even start to attempt to explain this one...

If at some point you have something that not insulting to contribute please do.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
What windows phone 9 ?
I wanted to buy Windows phone 8 but that possible false info made my change my mind for now...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise