nokia 920 leak, with pureview technology

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Also, I think the Ativ is a better looking phone that this one from the pictures but I would have to see them both in my hand before making a decision. The only thing drawing me to this phone is the pureview.

I agree, the Ativ is better looking. The pureview along with LTE & overall quality is drawing me more to the Nokia.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
The Ativ S looks amazing. It's like the gorgeous GS3 but even better looking, but these Nokia devices are getting stale.

I like color but where's the different form factors? I felt in loved with that pureview mock up of old but is like Nokia forgot their balls. 4.5 screen, thick as ****? Yet they had the audacity to make fun of Samsung.
It looks like every other Samsung that has been made. And you think Nokia is stale?

Here it is: you don't like Nokia? Fine. Pick up a Samsung and be happy. I don't get you anti-Nokia guys. You hate how Nokia looks, but you love Samsung which looks like an HTC etc... probably the most generic looking phone on the planet.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
It looks like every other Samsung that has been made. And you think Nokia is stale?

Here it is: you don't like Nokia? Fine. Pick up a Samsung and be happy. I don't get you anti-Nokia guys. You hate how Nokia looks, but you love Samsung which looks like an HTC etc... probably the most generic looking phone on the planet.

agreed

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

I'm not anti-Nokia. But they had done nothing to make me a Nokia fan. When Nokia announce that it was going to be a WP partner. I was promised a couple of things.

1-Amazing Cameras
2-New designs
3-Great qualities.

What I got was Terrible cameras, Copycats and buggy phones.

And they release this underwhelming, ugly phone and people are saying it looks better than the ATIV? Had you hold a Galaxy 3 in your hands? That phone becomes an extension of your hand, it's so comfortable you wouldn't believe it.

If those ugly phones are the only thing they will announce, then I will be laughing when they go up in ruins. Nokia should never had worsts phone than the competition, especially Samsung which has Windows Phone as an after though.

Timture

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Heck, no more brand loyalty to anyone from me. I've learnt my lesson with Apple. Never again will I tie myself down to one manufacturer. This year, it looks like I'm getting the Ativ S. Two years later who knows what I get. But one thing is for certain, If this Nokia does turn out to be what we see in these leaks, Nokia are definitely off my list.
I don't think fanboys of any brand realize they are the worst customers for an industry. They hold back innovation with their blind loyalty. Us swing voters want the best hardware out there, and we vote with our pocketbook. This is what keeps all these manufacturers on their toes. The fanboys let these fat cats get complacent and live off their past glory. How do I know? I was one of them. There's no bigger ****** than an Apple ******, and look where it got me? I can finally admit I was attached to inferior hardware with great software. But mind you, that software no longer is the cream of the crop like it used to be. Android has now leveled the playing field. As I have said, I've held an S3 and gave it a go, the device is amazing. I've decided to go Windows Phone because of it's unique looks and because I'll be picking up a surface.

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't want a watered version of an original. The other companies are doing that, Nokia is supposed to had Windows Phone as priority.

We shouldn't settle for second best for God's sake.

Until WP has a huge market share, there is very little chance that Nokia will release a device as fat as the 808. And as the technology currently stands, it's unlikely they could fit that 41 mp sensor into a thinner device.

The original 808 was mainly a tech demo device. It was sold to demonstrate what we have to look forward to with Nokia. To generate hype. But they did also mention that it will take a while to shrink that sensor.

If Nokia wants to ensure low sales because of a fat phone, then sure, they could put in the full 41 mp sensor. It will make a few die-hards happy. But that's it.

And right now, I don't think WP had a big enough install base for Nokai to make several high-end devices.

The fact is, if Pureview with a 21 mp sensor is released, it will be THE BEST camera for WP. It will also be better than any camera on Android or iOS.

If that's what's going to hold you up, you might as well just go buy the 808.

Bentstraight

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't think fanboys of any brand realize they are the worst customers for an industry. They hold back innovation with their blind loyalty. Us swing voters want the best hardware out there, and we vote with our pocketbook. This is what keeps all these manufacturers on their toes. The fanboys let these fat cats get complacent and live off their past glory. How do I know? I was one of them. There's no bigger ****** than an Apple ******, and look where it got me? I can finally admit I was attached to inferior hardware with great software. But mind you, that software no longer is the cream of the crop like it used to be. Android has now leveled the playing field. As I have said, I've held an S3 and gave it a go, the device is amazing. I've decided to go Windows Phone because of it's unique looks and because I'll be picking up a surface.

This! 100% Spot on.

The fact is, if Pureview with a 21 mp sensor is released, it will be THE BEST camera for WP. It will also be better than any camera on Android or iOS.

Best camera is not enough. People look at the overall package. The fact of the matter is, most of the shoppers out there don't care about camera quality after a certain point. Majority of the people out there buy with their eyes. Unless a sales guy is shoving specs down their throat, a good majority of shoppers aren't all that fussy about specs. They just pick up the device, look at it, and if they like the looks, done deal. This is why I'm saying Nokia cannot bring out thick and heavy phones. When these phones are sitting next to phones that are lighter and thinner, they will not look good. The sales of the GS3 are proof of what a thin, light, and snappy running phone will do for a company.

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not anti-Nokia. But they had done nothing to make me a Nokia fan. When Nokia announce that it was going to be a WP partner. I was promised a couple of things.

1-Amazing Cameras
2-New designs
3-Great qualities.

What I got was Terrible cameras, Copycats and buggy phones.

And they release this underwhelming, ugly phone and people are saying it looks better than the ATIV? Had you hold a Galaxy 3 in your hands? That phone becomes an extension of your hand, it's so comfortable you wouldn't believe it.

If those ugly phones are the only thing they will announce, then I will be laughing when they go up in ruins. Nokia should never had worsts phone than the competition, especially Samsung which has Windows Phone as an after though.

Then pick up a Samsung.

A lot of people do like Nokia's designs.

The fact that we have a lot of different choices is good.

Nokia has their own style. They've always had different colors and stood out. If you don't like that, then stop looking at Nokia. They will not win you over because that's not who they are.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I like the bezel. It helps to show off the color.

Is that camera big enough to house a decent sized sensor though?

No. Look at a picture of the 808 Pureview for comparison. This phone is "Pureview" in name only.

XPNyJ.jpg

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
i love the nokia design, and so do other people. its less than perfect sales are do to its OS, not the hardware or design. everyone i talk to loves this phone. and the ativ looks just like a gs3... how is that different from gs2, htc one x, or any other android phone.. they look too much alike. im sorry but i see nothing intuitive about samsungs designs

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Best camera is not enough. People look at the overall package. The fact of the matter is, most of the shoppers out there don't care about camera quality after a certain point. Majority of the people out there buy with their eyes. Unless a sales guy is shoving specs down their throat, a good majority of shoppers aren't all that fussy about specs. They just pick up the device, look at it, and if they like the looks, done deal.

You do realize my post was in direct response to Winterfang talking about the camera, right?

This is why I'm saying Nokia cannot bring out thick and heavy phones. When these phones are sitting next to phones that are lighter and thinner, they will not look good. The sales of the GS3 are proof of what a thin, light, and snappy running phone will do for a company.

The Lumia was just right in terms of heft. At least in my opinion, and the opinion of others who like the extra durability.

Samsung and HTC will do great in providing phones for those people who want super light phones. I'm glad that Nokia is there to give an option to the rest of us that like something that feels solid.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
No. Look at a picture of the 808 Pureview for comparison. This phone is "Pureview" in name only.

Click to view quoted image

That's not really accurate.

Pureview is a wide technology that encompasses much more than just a 41 mp sensor.

Let's say someone made a 5 liter 8 cylinder engine.

Then they a 3 liter 6 cylinder engine.

Is the 2nd engine an "engine" in name only? Even if it uses the same technology?

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
That's not really accurate.

Pureview is a wide technology that encompasses much more than just a 41 mp sensor.

I thought the term referred to mind-boggling camera hardware in addition to exclusive software. They can apply the name to whatever they want it to, but if they start applying it to nearly everything that's got a few exclusive software gimmicks, they run the risk of diluting the Pureview name (see: Beats Audio).

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I thought the term referred to mind-boggling camera hardware in addition to exclusive software. They can apply the name to whatever they want it to, but if they start applying it to nearly everything that's got a few exclusive software gimmicks, they run the risk of diluting the Pureview name (see: Beats Audio).

The sensor they use would still need enough to get a decent amount of information for surrounding pixels.

The original Pureview uses a 41mp sensor, and default pictures end up being 8mp. They take the colors of 7 pixels from the sensor to pick the best color to use for the one pixel that will be in the photo.

If a 21mp sensor is used, that would still allow the technology to use about 4 pixels of information to derive a pixel color for a final 5 mp photo.

Of course the 41 mp sensor would be preferrable if you want the maximum amount of lossless zoom. But right now, the price of doing that would be a fat phone. That's good for a niche market, but not for a mass market device.

And since WP is a niche in itself, it would be very risky to try to produce something that was just for a niche within a niche.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
The original Pureview uses a 41mp sensor, and default pictures end up being 8mp. They take the colors of 7 pixels from the sensor to pick the best color to use for the one pixel that will be in the photo.

If a 21mp sensor is used, that would still allow the technology to use about 4 pixels of information to derive a pixel color for a final 5 mp photo.

If that's what they're doing, I'm fine with that. What I was afraid of was the 8mp camera from the Lumia 900 (which isn't even as good as other 8mp cameras out there, such as the Galaxy S3's and HTC One X's and the HTC Titan 1's), with a couple exclusive software tweaks, bearing the "Pureview" name.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If that's what they're doing, I'm fine with that. What I was afraid of was the 8mp camera from the Lumia 900 (which isn't even as good as other 8mp cameras out there, such as the Galaxy S3's and HTC One X's and the HTC Titan 1's), with a couple exclusive software tweaks, bearing the "Pureview" name.

Yeah. That would suck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss