Is this Nokia's best after all the Smack Talk?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I myself I'm not attacking Nokia. But I'm defending Samsung because they brought everything they had to the table.

Because you know what, Samsung isn't treating Windows Phone as mid tier anymore. They brought their maximum possible specs to the device. The days of WP7 hardware mediocrity are over.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Ah, wonderful, so another thread about how much better one brand and one phone is compared to another.

I like Samsung... I think that ATIV line is pretty slick looking, and no doubt they are gonna sell some. Heck, they may even sell a LOT of them. But there's nothing special about them either. They're just "me too" devices, and that's fine, if that's your style, because it's just like what everyone else has that's popular... a GS3.

I would suggest, however, that this viewpoint is very Apple-like. It's black or white, and you can decide which you want, but it's gonna look alike, act alike, and we're all gonna BE alike.

Nokia's strategy is a cry out to be different. It screams, "I will be different. I will be unique, and to **** with your opinion." It's a good strategy, and for those of us that don't want to be "just another slab" or just another dollar for Apple, it works.

I would agree with this. Seems to me, to stereotype, that the Ativ S is the phone for engineering students and the Lumia 900 is the phone for humanities students.

The Galaxy S3 wins the spec war and the objective utility war. Bigger screen, lower weight, replacable battery, etc. But even people who really like it (like me) can't say much for its aesthetic or its personality. It's a well-executed electronic device utterly devoid of any unique identity or personality.

The Lumia 920 is the most boldly-styled phone on the market today...identifiable from a hundred paces. Nokia's exclusive apps help add to the "greater ownership experience." And the case it shares with the 900 has a reassuring subjective "solidity" in the hand, even if it is heavy, slippery, and doesn't allow battery replacement. The camera was the one and only thing where it might have an objective spec advantage over the Ativ S, and it turns out it won't there either.

Both are appealing phones, but the manner in which they're appealing is night and day.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think we all need to remember that Nokia's success is NOT bad for Samsung.

Samsung's WP success is NOT bad for Nokia.

Any WP success is about growing the WP user base in general.

What I want to see is a bunch of sales for all WP OEM's.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Samsung's WP success is NOT bad for Nokia.

Any WP success is about growing the WP user base in general.

What I want to see is a bunch of sales for all WP OEM's.

I agree. Better market share = more general interest =more apps and so on. And while it was Nokia who brought me to WP and I prefer their design, its good to have choices amongst different WP OEMs.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm sad that LG and Dell drop out of the Windows Phone race =(.

I liked that they brought physical keyboards. I also liked that LG brought DLNA.

It's unfortunate that LG just came with a very outdated looking phone, while Dell had so many technical problems.

In the US, I'd be happy with multiple devices available from Nokia, Samsung, and HTC. Other OEM s are welcome of course. But for now, these three are the key until WP mindshare increases significantly.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think anyone is hating on Nokia, I think they were just expecting MORE than what has been shown. :straight:

All we've seen and heard are rumors. Nothing has been shown.

A thread dedicated to complaining about Nokia's offerings would probably be more appropriate AFTER they show what they have.

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
i just dont feel like its enough from a dying company. There nice efforts every nokia and wp lover will buy one but will they make this os catch on to others? because if these phones dont sell then whats gunna happen to our beloved OS?

Timture

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The OP has been on a Nokia bashing/Samsung loving blitz lately, no surprise he's talking down the Nokia phones and tomorrows event. Which is actually an event, and not just 2 minutes within a whole presentation about other stuff, like Samsung did in their Ativ announcement.

Say what? Nokia have nothing else to show but windows phone? Of course they need to make an event of it. Need I remind you that Samsung debuted the Ativ S Tablets and Galaxy Note 2 on the same stage? I'd say they did a good job because they had people and the blogs talking about Windows Phone 8.

And lets not say the Ativ isnt a good looking phone, it is. But Nokia as always is going to do much more than just produce a phone and nothing else, which it seems Samsung is doing. They are not talking about it in any way so already its being overshadowed. With Nokia already we've seen leaks of different colours, accessories and there is probably still much more to be revealed tomorrow.

Again more speculation, but for some reason siding with Nokia. Why not wait till all cards are on the table before making assumptions. BTW, Samsung isn't just producing a phone, they're all in with Windows 8/Phone 8. They've got a bigger ecosystem for Windows 8/Phone 8 than Nokia do. Tablets, Slate PCs, the works. Not sure how you're seeing it the other way.

And all these reasons are why Nokia WP devices are regarded as the best of all the WP OEM's. The design may be recycled, and that I too do not like. But overall the experience of owning a Nokia WP is just so far above any other WP OEM that ultimately that will not matter. Some people just cant handle that fact. :cool:

Says who, you? Sorry, but if you want facts that some people can't handle, it's the fact that Windows Phone has an extremely small market share, and Nokia are a burning platform. They're on the brink of extinction. How are those facts sitting with you? So before you decide to say people can't handle facts, better do some fact checking first.

Blottom line: Windows Phone needs a powerhouse like Samsung. And that is a FACT.

No need to bash any OEM, but let's stay in reality. Just look how people are calling the Ativ S a rehash of an S3. Give me a break. The 920 looks a helluva lot more like the 900 than the Ativ S looks like an S3. Hypocritical? So again, let's keep things in reality, and just hope for the best for all OEMs. I want Windows Phone OS to be huge.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
The Ativ looks like a decent phone, but I'll only buy one if the Nokias aren't available here. Which would be a reverse of the current situation. All 4 of the current Nokia devices are available in Canada, and none of the samsungs.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
To the OP, I think the attitude being applied could be said of any phone manufacturer. The slab is totally getting overplayed and it would be interesting to see different form factors from all OEMs.

To that end, it feels like to me that Samsung did no better than Nokia did. Also, to a degree Samsung might've did worse. The Ativ S, from the front, looks like such a personal FU to Apple it's ridiculous.

Edit: As for technological hardware, I'm gonna reserve comment on that until tomorrow. It'd would be awesome to hear Nokia bump up the ppi, battery mAh, etc.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
All we've seen and heard are rumors. Nothing has been shown.

A thread dedicated to complaining about Nokia's offerings would probably be more appropriate AFTER they show what they have.

We are complaining about the leaks.

But yeah I like LG, I used to love my Optimus 7 so much but the Mango update has not being kind to that phone. It can barely handle it and has all kinds of annoying bugs, bugs that happen everyday, bugs that had turned me into this bitter husk of a once happy man.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I am feeling the same way IF and I do me if the rumors about the 920 hold true. From a HW perspective, if they don't offer microSD support then how is this a flagship device when the mid-range has micro-SD support?

I don't expect NOKIA to have quad core processor but they should have the best Qualcomm dual core chip-set...say the S4 pro which has a dual core and quad core cpu

If lame LG can get the S4 pro with quad core working then NOKIA should be able to get the dual core version working.

No micro-SD support would be a bummer for me and would make me look at HTC/Samsung.

Perhaps b/c I have a Lumia 900, I am not that thrilled with essential the same device minus upgraded CPU and NFC support.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
The thing that sticks out the most for me is the size of the bezels on these phones. Especially the 900, if it's got a 4.5 inch screen, then how big is the overall phone if the bezels look that big?

I've heard a few people complain about the bezels. Could the bezels be designed to help protect the screen from cracking when you drop it? I have no problem with the bezels on my 900. I've dropped it several times and have only scratched up the corners. Unlike my last Samsung galaxy that got ruined when it fell getting out of the car.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I've heard a few people complain about the bezels. Could the bezels be designed to help protect the screen from cracking when you drop it? I have no problem with the bezels on my 900. I've dropped it several times and have only scratched up the corners. Unlike my last Samsung galaxy that got ruined when it fell getting out of the car.

That very well may be. It may also may be to give you more room to hold before inadvertently touching the corner of the screen.

On the other hand, the Ativ's is nice because it gives you a massive screen in something that really feels quite dainty in the hand (I've held a friend's Galaxy S3, and was shocked at how compact it felt despite having the biggest screen I've ever seen in a phone).

Once again, they both have an appeal, just a very different appeal.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
We are complaining about the leaks.

But yeah I like LG, I used to love my Optimus 7 so much but the Mango update has not being kind to that phone. It can barely handle it and has all kinds of annoying bugs, bugs that happen everyday, bugs that had turned me into this bitter husk of a once happy man.

Haha. My wife is the same way with LG.

She really liked them, but then all her LG products started messing up. Now she's not a fan.

Last edited:

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
It is kind of bothering to see all this in-fighting within WP. Whether we prefer HTC,Nokia,Samsung,Huawei we all need to stick together as a community and respect the existence and sales of each device as well as those who purchase such devices because it's a WP purchase.
I'll let this thread stay open for the official announcements tomorrow . However if things get out of hand like the last two threads on this topic then I or someone else on the mod team will be forced to close it and take disciplinary actions if necessary.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The Galaxy S3 has 1280x720. The Ativ S appears to have the exact same screen, so probably the same resolution. No word on the Lumia 920.

I really hope Nokia went with the 1280x768 option. That'd give it an identical ratio to current WP7 devices, which as far as I'm concerned, should give a better experience for the legacy WP7 apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077