Is this Nokia's best after all the Smack Talk?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I've being hammering Nokia since they shown to fake their videos, that was Thursday, so it's being barely 3 days. I have a couple of questions.

What makes the yet to be released Nokia 920 a must buy against the proven and by the time it comes out very affordable GS3 and HTC One X?

Best night photos
Best anti-blur
Best video stabilization
Best screen resolution
Best screen in sunlight
Best touch sensitivity
Best screen refresh rate
Best support
Nokia exclusive lenses (Smart Shoot, Cinemagraph)
Nokia apps

What makes the phone a must buy compared to the yet to be released Samsung ATIV?

See above

What makes the phone a must buy against the Iphone 5 and it's massive app selection and proof of future support?

See above

And why should I trust Nokia to bring the best Windows Phone on the market when they had failed to brought their very best on to the phone? This isn't the time to half-as-s it.

This IS their best non-niche phone

Instead of calling me a hater just give me reasons as to why this underwhelming device is the next big thing and had Nokia acting all cocky.

You've been given plenty of reasons that you ignore.

Hey. It's okay to be a hater. You think Nokia is cocky, so you don't like them. That'd perfectly fine.

Just don't pretend you don't already have a major personal bias that can make you make arguments that aren't exactly fair, logical, or consistent.

The best way to hate is out in the open! At least people understand where you're coming from.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Best night photos
Best anti-blur
Best video stabilization
Best screen resolution
Best screen in sunlight
Best touch sensitivity
Best screen refresh rate
Best support
Nokia apps

Here is what their offer than the 920 doesn't.

Bigger screen
Bigger batteries
Lighter devices
Slimmer devices
More, better and cheaper apps
Cheaper devices
and in GS3 case, SD card slot-removable battery and availability in all carriers.

A possible better screen and camera would be great if the 920 already had all of the avoid. You don't need to be hate a company to know the 920 doesn't have what it takes.

I don't hate Nokia, I was just as excited as everyone here just because I'm not forgiving their lies and applauding that underwhelming device, doesn't mean I'm against everything they do.

I however have higher expectations out of them and they continue to disappoint.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Winterfang

One of the main reasons for liking the 920 or any WP8 phone will come when you switch to Win8 from Win7.
The seamless integration between your desktop metro and your phone metro will pull in alot of users as it is something that google just doesn't have.
Im not fussed about the camera, but I am fussed about cloud integration and a common environment between my desktop and my mobile device.
I will be moving from a GS3 and Jellybean to WP8, so it must have something to tempt me

As for Nokia, or Samsung or HTC - go with the manufacturer you like, I think nokia make good hardware, but it is a personal choice so choose the phone that makes you happy as at the end of the day no one else cares what you choose or like so make yourself happy with your choice

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I've being hammering Nokia since they shown to fake their videos, that was Thursday, so it's being barely 3 days. I have a couple of questions...

I had a lot more to say, but then I realized that this is going to go in circles as a giant p***ing contest with all the subjective qualities. So, here's what's left that is more quantifiable:

Why trust Nokia? Because Nokia has actually done a good job for the Lumia line of bringing updates and apps and support for the devices. When there is a problem or criticism, they actually investigate, acknowledge, and resolve it. They don't turn around and blame the user for holding it wrong or force you to buy a case for it (that makes it bigger and bulkier than it already is, and makes it ridiculous looking while still not protecting it against screen shatters when you breath on it wrong). They don't release an update that breaks more than it fixes either, or that changes the way the entire device works.

Are there criticisms to be made? Sure... why doesn't the 920 support SD cards? I don't know... I assume it was a cost and function decision. They want to push SkyDrive. But don't forget we don't have SD cards today at all, and SkyDrive doesn't solve our need today, so on the new devices we get DOUBLE the storage built-in AND we get SkyDrive AND *some* phones will throw in an SD card. Just happens that the Lumia doesn't.

Now, the 820, that's a whole other issue. I do feel Nokia skimped on specs here, since wherever it goes won't have the 920 for a while. UNLESS, and this is a hypothetical right now, the 920 and 820 are going to all carriers eventually (after the AT&T exclusive for 920). If that happens, then it's clear they have high-end and budget devices. We probably won't see 720 and 620 in the states if that happens.

At the end of the day, though, the same discussions you've asked show up on every Android discussion too. It's all about CHOICE. We go to the store (or online) and we pick the one that meets our needs, and we go for it.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Bigger screen
Bigger batteries
Lighter devices
Slimmer devices
Cheaper devices
and in GS3 case, SD card slot-removable battery and availability in all carriers.

I don't hate Nokia, I was just as excited as everyone here just because I'm not forgiving their lies and applauding that underwhelming device, doesn't mean I'm against everything they do.

Subjective. Some people don't want/like bigger screens... 4.5", I think, will be my sweet spot. I feel like 4.7" on the Titan is too big, but the EVO's 4.3" (that I had previously) was still a little small for what I wanted.

Objective. The battery in the 920 is already bigger than any device I can pick now and I get great battery life... and I don't need 2300mAh the way an Android device does, because Windows Phone isn't a "gas guzzler". Is it nice? Sure! It's a selling point. But let's not pretend that Nokia skimped when it's above and beyond what is offered now.

Subjective. Unless you were at the event, you didn't get to hold it. You don't get to complain about thickness or weight until you hold a device and see how it feels in your hand. You can't compare it to the existing lineup. Personally, I liked the way it felt VERY much. It was lighter than my Titan, and it was more comfortable, because it was narrower and had the curved back. As light as an ATIV? No, likely not, but I personally dislike super-light devices.

Apps ... I don't think it's at all accurate to say CHEAPER apps (free vs free can't get cheaper), although it's entirely fair to point out MORE apps. But that's subjective, because I have about 10 apps I care about and even those I could just as easily visit the web site. Most of the people I help don't use any apps beyond what the OS offers. It's a good selling point, though... you might have some apps that are must-have that I don't consider to be interesting at all.

Cheaper devices ... Yes, but cheaper doesn't mean better, just less expensive, and in fact that typically means less quality. Plus you don't know what the Lumias or ATIV cost yet, so invalid hypothesis for now.

I already addressed SD card in my other post.

As for lying... they didn't lie. The press ASSUMED it was done on a 920, and Nokia's ad agency didn't advertise it wasn't... but Nokia DID admit it, and they have released proof of ACTUAL 920 results (of which I was a personal witness on Wednesday), and the camera results are valid. So calling them a liar at this point makes you look foolish, and I don't believe that is a fair way to describe you.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
You make valid points.

I guess the reason I'm so mad at them is because their flagship phone just manage to be worse than all my nightmares. It just thick me on all the wrong ways, while ignoring the one feature, the only thing I wanted from them.

Like you said is subjective but I just don't know what focus groups are they listening though. Who asked for wireless charging? why not instead make a slimmer more sticking. device?

Why make a bigger device with a smaller screen? I feel like they don't really know what the market wants and being someone that wants Windows Phone 8 to succeed and knowing that Nokia is a big part of making that true, it just rubs me the wrong way why the chose the 920 was their flagship.

But like you said is subjective, maybe is like a GS3 case that people hated at first but after playing it, everyone opinions changed and became a massive success. But that's Samsung they know what they are doing.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
...Like you said is subjective but I just don't know what focus groups are they listening though. Who asked for wireless charging? why not instead make a slimmer more sticking. device?

Why make a bigger device with a smaller screen? I feel like they don't really know what the market wants and being someone that wants Windows Phone 8 to succeed and knowing that Nokia is a big part of making that true, it just rubs me the wrong way why the chose the 920 was their flagship...

Perhaps I'm confused... isn't the 920 screen bigger AND higher resolution than the existing options (notably the 900)? I think the 820's screen is now 4.3" up from 800's too. ATIV is bigger than the Titan even, but they went with standard HD resolution, so 920 beats them there too. I'm disappointed they didn't do HD on the 820 though... it's harder for me to recommend the 820 to people not on AT&T.

As for wireless charging, please tell me you're not having nightmares about them deciding, "Hey, you know something that would make a nice feature? Wireless charging!" I can just picture the response, "OMG! **** YEAH! Oh wait... hang on... aren't you worried about giving Winterfang nightmares?" "Nah, it'll be fine... and if nightmares are to be had, they'll get over it when the ATIV comes out." "Heh, yeah, let Samsung deal with them!" :lol: (OK, sorry, I may have taken that too far!)

UPDATE: I'm not bashing the Samsung though. I think when the releases happen, it's gonna be nice having choices out there. As long as there's more than one phone on AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon, it's gonna be a good thing.

UPDATE 2: BTW, I just looked it up... The ATIV S measures 137.2 x 70.5 x 8.7mm and weighs 135g. The Lumia 920 is 130.3 x 70.8 x 10.7mm and weighs 185g. So weight is pretty big difference, but the other aspects are pretty close. Only 2mm thicker... quick, grab a ruler or tape measure, I'll wait for you... yep, that's all! Oh, and the 900... 11.5mm thick. So despite the curve, it's thinner! :)

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Bigger screen
Bigger batteries
Lighter devices
Slimmer devices
Cheaper devices

A possible better screen and camera would be great if the 920 already had all of the avoid. You don't need to be hate a company to know the 920 doesn't have what it takes.

No device has everything. That's why it's gray we have choices.

But you specifically asked what the 920 has that would make people choose it above others. And the things I listed are just some of this reasons.

But some people care about different things. That's fine.

Why do you act like there is only one kind of customer?

BTW Winterfang, I hope you know that when I say "hater", I mean it playfully. I don't want you to think I dislike you or anything.

Last edited:

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I've being hammering Nokia since they shown to fake their videos, that was Thursday, so it's being barely 3 days. I have a couple of questions.

What makes the yet to be released Nokia 920 a must buy against the proven and by the time it comes out very affordable GS3 and HTC One X?

What makes the phone a must buy compared to the yet to be released Samsung ATIV?

What makes the phone a must buy against the Iphone 5 and it's massive app selection and proof of future support?

And why should I trust Nokia to bring the best Windows Phone on the market when they had failed to brought their very best on to the phone? This isn't the time to half-as-s it.

Instead of calling me a hater just give me reasons as to why this underwhelming device is the next big thing and had Nokia acting all cocky.
You are a Nokia hater. It is what it is. And you've been going off on them since way before that stupid "expose". You're like everyone else here that hates them. The only way you'd like Nokia is if they were to come with something that was magically taken from the future. The specs could be exactly (or even a little better) than any WP offering right now and they'd still stink up the place in your eyes. Let's face it - they don't have a chance and your mind is made up.

I'm not going to give you any reasons why you should buy one brand over another. You know why? Because my reasons may not be the same as yours. And that's good enough for me.

And that's the point. I'm not going to jump in and start hammering the Ativ or the HTC offerings because I have no basis to do so. I haven't been exposed to either - and when I do, I may even decide on either device and forgo Nokia entirely.

As to the iPhone - well I simply hate Apple with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns. Part of it because they cruise on their rep and by all accounts there is nothing outstanding about 5 but it will continue to have the press on their knees. That and I always thought Jobs was a megalomaniac jackass who preached about design purity while stealing from others.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Crystal you are the one that made the decision of looking at me like a hater. I have reasons for my bashing and there's a lot of them. There's a point behind every post I make and I don't rant or ramble.

You can't give me the benefit of the doubt and Then you say you hate Apple and call a deceased CEO a jackass. I mean Jesus Christ dude have some respect.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Best night photos

Nope. The Verge did a test with the Galaxy S III and iPhone 4S in "night mode" and saw photos of similar quality to the 920.

Best anti-blur

Not judging by the photos from The Verge. They were considerably blurrier than photos from other phones.

Best video stabilization

This feature doesn't even exist yet. Apart from one faked video and one non-verified video, it has never been demonstrated. When The Verge asked for a demo of the feature, Nokia refused, saying it's not yet ready.

Best screen resolution

By a nose.

Best screen in sunlight

That's a bit rich to say, having not seen it. I know Nokia made the same promise for my Lumia 900, and DID NOT deliver. The only way the 900 is readable in direct sunlight is if you turn off the automatic brightness and crank the brightness all the way up.

Best touch sensitivity

So they claim. But again, it hasn't been independently tested, and after their fake video and photo fiasco, it's hard to trust anything they say.

Best screen refresh rate

Ummm... what?

Best support

I wouldn't say that. Apple delivers support Nokia could only dream of delivering.

The Carl Zeiss shooter in my Lumia 900 delivers far worse pictures than the "crappy" lens on my Radar 4G.

Nokia apps

I don't think they're compelling enough to choose a handset over.

Then again, ALL of your points are speculation because the phone isn't priced nor released. And a lot of these promises look VERY familiar to those of us who were burned by the Lumia 900 fiasco.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Nope. The Verge did a test with the Galaxy S III and iPhone 4S in "night mode" and saw photos of similar quality to the 920.

Not judging by the photos from The Verge. They were considerably blurrier than photos from other phones.

This feature doesn't even exist yet. Apart from one faked video and one non-verified video, it has never been demonstrated. When The Verge asked for a demo of the feature, Nokia refused, saying it's not yet ready.

By a nose.

That's a bit rich to say, having not seen it. I know Nokia made the same promise for my Lumia 900, and DID NOT deliver. The only way the 900 is readable in direct sunlight is if you turn off the automatic brightness and crank the brightness all the way up.

So they claim. But again, it hasn't been independently tested, and after their fake video and photo fiasco, it's hard to trust anything they say.

Ummm... what?

I wouldn't say that. Apple delivers support Nokia could only dream of delivering.

The Carl Zeiss shooter in my Lumia 900 delivers far worse pictures than the "crappy" lens on my Radar 4G.

I don't think they're compelling enough to choose a handset over.

Then again, ALL of your points are speculation because the phone isn't priced nor released. And a lot of these promises look VERY familiar to those of us who were burned by the Lumia 900 fiasco.

So basically you're saying that in night mode those other phones take better pictures then the 920. You're also saying that the 920 takes blurrier pictures then the other phones. So what you're really saying is the 920 is an utter fraud when it comes to PureView?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that's what he is saying and you know what? Is hard to disagree.

The Galaxy S3 night mode picture was a little darker yes but also way more focused. In the case of the 920 pureview is a meaningless name, just like Carl Seiss lens added nothing to the table in the 900.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
So far, I have seen NOTHING to substantiate Nokia's claims that they have a camera revolution on their hands with the Lumia 920. It's all been smoke-n-mirrors in carefully controlled situations.

The Lumia 900 was supposed to lead the way with its camera too. Carl Zeiss optics, phones finally replacing DSLRs, etc., remember all the hype?

When it shipped, it was dreadful.

The only Windows Phone that takes worse pictures than the Lumia 900 is the Dell Venue Pro. The Titan II blows the 900 out of the water.

We'll know for sure if Nokia can deliver when they have hardware that:

1) Reviewers can use without people hovering over them;
2) Reviewers can put through their OWN tests;
3) End users can validate as better.

Until then, I see NO reason to take any of Nokia's hype seriously.

That they felt the need to fake videos and photos and not come completely clean with reviewers is also revealing.

Fool me once, shame on me, etc., etc., etc.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that's what he is saying and you know what? Is hard to disagree.

The Galaxy S3 night mode picture was a little darker yes but also way more focused. In the case of the 920 pureview is a meaningless name, just like Carl Seiss lens added nothing to the table in the 900.

A little darker? Are you kidding? All the ones I've seen were crap!

Anyway, it's gonna be fun taking and seeing comparison shots when everything is available. GS3 vs IP5 vs NL920 in a Triple Threat Match!

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
A little darker? Are you kidding? All the ones I've seen were crap!

Anyway, it's gonna be fun taking and seeing comparison shots when everything is available. GS3 vs IP5 vs NL920 in a Triple Threat Match!

Lumia 920

lumia-920-original.jpg

Galaxy S3 Night mode

gs3-night.jpg

Is brighter yes but is not revolutionary.

Last edited:

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Crystal you are the one that made the decision of looking at me like a hater. I have reasons for my bashing and there's a lot of them. There's a point behind every post I make and I don't rant or ramble.

You can't give me the benefit of the doubt and Then you say you hate Apple and call a deceased CEO a jackass. I mean Jesus Christ dude have some respect.

Your reasons for disliking Nokia are your own and you are welcome to them. Absolutely. Some of them are legitimate but stuff like "But what does Nokia knows about design? They think people will buy a Yellow phone." makes me think you're just bashing for bashing's sake. I'll give you "hater" maybe a touch too harsh, but you're not even minded in your criticisms either.

As to the Jobs thing - first: respect is earned. Second what the **** has the fact the man is dead have anything to do with what I said? He doesn't get a pass because he is no longer with us. I never said I was glad he was dead - and I'm not.

Just so as you know: I am an Apple hater. I don't try to come across as reasonable or fair about my bashing - and yet - I still acknowledge the game changing aspects of that company.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb