Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    4.7-4.8" seems to be the norm for flagship phones these days and the Lumia 920 has a 4.5" screen. Anybody think Nokia will come out with a bigger screen later? Possibly with 1280 X 768 resolution?

Global Posts
    2,803 Global Posts
    Not I
    Nokia Lumia 1020/Blu Studio 5.0 LTE owner here...

Thanked by:

Never had a phone that large yet. How well does a 4.8" LCD phone work in pant pockets?

Quote Originally Posted by blehblehbleh View Post
    Never had a phone that large yet. How well does a 4.8" LCD phone work in pant pockets?
    Works okay so long as the phone is totally minimal except for the screen (Galaxy S3 and Ativ S). If you have a more substantial case and bezel, like the Lumia 920, a 4.8" screen would lead to a cumbersome device.

And to answer the original question, I think it's fine. Just because Samsung is offering 4.8" doesn't mean everyone else has to. Some people prefer smaller; it's easier to use with one hand, for example. ****, Apple's iPhone 5 is going to have a 4.0 inch screen. Not 4.8, not 4.5, not 4.3, but 4.0.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm glad the Lumia 920 and the Ativ S aren't identical. This way, we have real meaningful choices.
    snowmutt likes this.

Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    4.3" is already good but 4.8" with a huge bezel is not good and by the way we have W8 tablets for large screens.

Are we sure that Lumia 920 will not come as 4.8"
    Last edited by alllies; 09-05-2012 at 03:49 AM. Reason: add

Lets not forget smaller screen = better battery life.

While I like a big screen, there's a balance that has to be made, otherwise we'll all be walking around with iPad phones soon.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Global Posts
    3,537 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Choices are better. Sammy has a 4.8", Nokia does 4.5" which is still a very large screen. HTC will release several different sizes, and I have heard Samsung will do at least one more mid-range WP. That should be smaller. (Rumors of a WP Note haven't completely died yet, either.) Right now there is a reader thinking to themselves:

"I would LOVE a WP... but why can't those great specs come with a 4.0" screen or smaller like I like it?"
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.
    Developer

Nope, im glad :) 4.8 is just a bit too big for me, just a bit. But it does depend on the bezel etc
    Windows Phone/XNA Developer

Not at all disappointed. Relieved more than anything! My suit jackets have pockets which fit iPhone 4 and Lumia 800 quite nicely. I don't even know if I'll get a 4.5" in there, never mind 4.8"! And as far as trouser pockets go, I'm of a slim build so the size of my pockets frown on the trend of ever-growing phones. Keeping it in a briefcase or bag is not practical.

Apple largely rely on one phone size to appeal to all people. If large screens were the best thing since sliced bread, they'd be going there and marking it as an innovation. But the larger you go, the more people you cut off. Apple can't afford to do this when it relies on one product to hit all. Other manufacturers diversify and do have smaller phones alongside their larger flagships... but my concern is that these will be lower-specced and not simply 'flagship but smaller'. With WP7 manufacturers hit the ceiling with all sizes and form factors so it hasn't been an issue... but it's noticeable with Android handsets and I worry it may happen with WP8. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    Lets not forget smaller screen = better battery life.

While I like a big screen, there's a balance that has to be made, otherwise we'll all be walking around with iPad phones soon.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express
    Bigger screen = bigger battery, so not always the case. (IIRC the Lumia 900 has the same, if not better, battery life than the 800.) However, bigger battery = more weight. It's all about compromises and trade-offs. I just hope manufacturers don't put all their best-specced phones in the gargantuan phone basket. Us Brits aren't as fond of them as the people across the pond!
    snowmutt likes this.

Global Posts
    2,280 Global Posts
    I'm not disappointed at all. it's a fine size
    - Xbox Account: SocialDanny123 Twitter: @SuDanny123

Lived in LA USA now moved to Auckland New Zealand :-)

Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

[IMG][/IMG]

Global Posts
    3,537 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgaius View Post
    Bigger screen = bigger battery, so not always the case. (IIRC the Lumia 900 has the same, if not better, battery life than the 800.) However, bigger battery = more weight. It's all about compromises and trade-offs. I just hope manufacturers don't put all their best-specced phones in the gargantuan phone basket. Us Brits aren't as fond of them as the people across the pond!
    Point taken. Even as I mentioned in the above post that someone would want a premium device in a 4" screen size, I still wasn't thinking a world wide audience. Nokia released the smaller screened "mid range" 710 and 800 first, then got around to the "top end" 900. But, the 900 wasn't in anywhere near as many markets as the smaller devices, telling me there is worldwide a larger market for smaller.

Surely Nokia, Samsung, and HTC know their audience, right??

Personally, I would be happy with a 4" screen or slightly smaller if it had a physical keyboard. When it is a full touch screen, that is when I want bigger.
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Global Posts
    3,042 Global Posts
    Yep, huge disappointment. I need at least 42" in my phone just to cover all bases for the next year. Then I want 65". /s

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    While other manufacturers are constantly pushing the 4.8"+ range, I'd in fact want Nokia keep it toned down and restore a little bit of sense. When I am feeling limited on my 4.0" phone, it is remedied by moving to my 13" laptop - not by bumping up the phone's screen.

Quote Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
    4.7-4.8" seems to be the norm for flagship phones these days and the Lumia 920 has a 4.5" screen. Anybody think Nokia will come out with a bigger screen later? Possibly with 1280 X 768 resolution?
    I like Nokia, and Hope the new Lumia will bring to us with a 4.8 screen. Like Samsung galaxy S3. Then I will buy one.

I had an Xperia X1 (3.2"?), then an iPhone 3G (3.5"), a HTC Trophy (3.8") and a Lumia 710 (3.7"). Jumping up to the ~4.5" mark is enough of a leap, thanks. I suspect it's going to be enough of a shock as it is.

Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I'm not disappointed at all. I'd be totally happy with a 4.3-4.5" screen. Really wish they'd surprise us and release them now.

I am... I was expecting it to be the ATIV's competitor

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Tupper View Post
    I am... I was expecting it to be the ATIV's competitor
    I was too, it's a pity for Samsung that it blows the Ativ away :]

4.5 is fine for me, I want 4.3 to 4.8, and 4.3 is pushing the low end of what I prefer. I carry a Ttian II now and it's fine but I can lose that little bit without hurting.

Like the 920 a lot, but as someone who does not take many photos I do not really see anything groundbreaking that I absolutely need at this point. I still want one, but maybe by the time I'm looking for a real replacement it will be cheaper for the 940 or whatever will be coming with even more.

Global Posts
    1,160 Global Posts
    No, I am relieved. I was afraid they would go 4.8'ish. I really want this phone and 4.5 suits me a lot better.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Not at all. While it may be nice to have choces, the 920 is pushing th elimit for usability for me. If Nokia wants to offer a larger size good for them, but if they don't also offer something in the current size range, I'd have to look elsewhere for a different phone.

Global Posts
    793 Global Posts
    I've had 4.8" and 4.7" phones, and I have to say that the L920 is just fine where it's at. Then again, I have small hands, so a smallER phone is preferred for me.

Global Posts
    1,773 Global Posts
    Yeah, with the the way the 920 is built, it would be way to big and heavy if it had a larger screen. I think the GS3 is a perfect size and weight, but the sacrifice is the materal used to build it. It's a trade off, but I do like the screen size.. Heck, I'd take a Note II screen size if it had WP8 on it.

No, not at all, but i will say that maybe Nokia should have 4.8-inch flagship and 3.8-4-inch flagship.
    Manufacturers have kind of by accident left huge space for 3.8-inch flagship phone out there.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast