Pureview on the Lumia 920

bokchoy1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
There's more to the 920's camera... this pdf has lots of Pureview information. But here's some of the more interesting stuff for the lazy :D

1. Nokia is using a custom BSI 8.7MP sensor. This sensor can provide true 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios, which Nokia claims is "unique among smartphones" (e.g. the T-mobile MyTouch has a 5mp camera that takes 4mp pictures, thanks to 16:9 cropping of 4:3 images). Nokia's sensor is also "at least 10% larger than comparable sensors of the same resolution."

fQF0b.png

2. Next generation LED flash. Nokia is using LED flash to provide a constant source of light, e.g. for use as a flashlight/torch and for low light videos. But, they are also using a "pulse flash burst" to mimic the effect of xenon flash. It is supposed to provide "a sharper picture of moving subjects than conventional LED’s."
  3. Nokia claims their optical stabilisation can deal with "around 50% more movements" than more conventional systems in digital cameras, or around 500 movements per second. While other smartphones have digital stabilisation, Nokia is the first to do it in hardware.
  4. Shutter speeds slower than 1/30th of a second often result in shaky photos. With optical stabilisation Nokia claims shutter speeds as long as 1/4th of a second are usable ("3EV improvement or 8x longer shutter speed"), which makes for great long exposure shots in the dark.

Sounds pretty innovative to me. Although, it would probably impress me more if I actually knew more about digital photography :happy: I don't know much about shutter speeds or exposure .

Last edited:

LightBulbIT

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
There's more to the 920's camera... this pdf has lots of Pureview information. But here's some of the more interesting stuff for the lazy :D

1. Nokia is using a custom BSI 8.7MP sensor. This sensor can provide true 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios, which Nokia claims is "unique among smartphones" (e.g. the T-mobile MyTouch has a 5mp camera that takes 4mp pictures, thanks to 16:9 cropping of 4:3 images). Nokia's sensor is also "at least 10% larger than comparable sensors of the same resolution."

Click to view quoted image

2. Next generation LED flash. Nokia is using LED flash to provide a constant source of light, e.g. for use as a flashlight/torch and for low light videos. But, they are also using a "pulse flash burst" to mimic the effect of xenon flash. It is supposed to provide "a sharper picture of moving subjects than conventional LED’s."
  3. Nokia claims their optical stabilisation can deal with "around 50% more movements" than more conventional systems in digital cameras, or around 500 movements per second. While other smartphones have digital stabilisation, Nokia is the first to do it in hardware.
  4. Shutter speeds slower than 1/30th of a second often result in shaky photos. With optical stabilisation Nokia claims shutter speeds as long as 1/4th of a second are usable ("3EV improvement or 8x longer shutter speed"), which makes for great long exposure shots in the dark.

Sounds pretty innovative to me. Although, it would probably impress me more if I actually knew more about digital photography :happy: I don't know much about shutter speeds or exposure .
Well bokchoy1, to get anywhere near this level of optical stabilization (and it's still not as good), you're looking at about $2500+ and a WHOLE lot more size and weight. All the camera needs now is variable zoom, aperture and better controls and you can throw away just about any lower end DSLR.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Imagine if a device comes out next year that includes all known PureView tech. Combine the 808 and the 920. Bam!

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Imagine if a device comes out next year that includes all known PureView tech. Combine the 808 and the 920. Bam!

I don't think it would sell that well, especially if it had the crazy hump that the 808 has. The general consumer likes skinny phones, the 808 would be far too 'fat' for that individual IMO.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
How does nokia do OIS with hardware? Is there a place to read about that mechanical setup?

I'm not sure if there is any place where the technical aspects are delved into. But in essence it has what they are calling a "floating lens."

The entire camera assembly is held by a set of tiny springs and the system takes in information from the gyroscope in order to determine if the phone is moving, the speed of movement, the direction, etc... The springs compensate for much of the movement.

This, combined with software image stabilization makes for a pretty potent combination.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it would sell that well, especially if it had the crazy hump that the 808 has. The general consumer likes skinny phones, the 808 would be far too 'fat' for that individual IMO.

I agree. I only see something like that happening if either the technology is shrunk down, or the user base grows large enough to support niche devices.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I was hoping it was not some sort of minute drive system that used the gyroscope to flatten out the vibrations. Hinge should work for the life of the phone without getting noticeably worse.

bokchoy1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

Solution: Nokia releases a dedicated camera with all the Pureview goodies. I'd definitely be interested!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans