Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: What would you like smartphones manufacturers to focus on.

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Better Batteries.

    28 77.78%
  • Better Overall Performances and Specs.

    7 19.44%
  • Better Screen Resolution.

    1 2.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    781 Posts
       #1  
    Personally I am tired of seing all those "revolutionary" improvements in performance, but not much improvements in terms of battery life.

    So my vote goes to Better batteries.
    Last edited by Simon Tupper; 09-11-2012 at 03:39 PM.
  2. shaunydub's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    241 Posts
    #2  
    I think the world as a whole not just in smart phones needs a battery revolution.
    pjs37 and Simon Tupper like this.
  3. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    781 Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunydub View Post
    I think the world as a whole not just in smart phones needs a battery revolution.
    True, neither my Titan II, MacBook Pro or iPad 2 can last all day with frequent usage... I think it should be a priority.
  4. larrynj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    267 Posts
    #4  
    Battery technology has always lagged behind. That's up to the battery companies to figure out and I'm sure they will in the near future.

    What I'd like to see is more efficient and better hands free features.

    “You get treated in life the way you teach people to treat you.”― Wayne W. Dyer
    ;)
  5. shaunydub's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    241 Posts
    #5  
    I would also like to see stuff we were getting used to as standard just before the smartphone revolution but then got dropped...I know some of this is coming back but it's crazy it was dropped in the first place, manufacturers producing top phone such as Nokia were really chucking as many things in as they could...

    Quality front camera
    Latest bluetooth
    Wireless FM transmitter
    Stereo speakers built in - seriously why have we gone back to mono?
    Hotswappable microsd
  6. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    781 Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunydub View Post
    I would also like to see stuff we were getting used to as standard just before the smartphone revolution but then got dropped...I know some of this is coming back but it's crazy it was dropped in the first place, manufacturers producing top phone such as Nokia were really chucking as many things in as they could...

    Quality front camera
    Latest bluetooth
    Wireless FM transmitter
    Stereo speakers built in - seriously why have we gone back to mono?
    Hotswappable microsd
    Quality front camera
    Stereo speakers
    MicroSD
    Yep we all want those.
  7. Mitlov's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    390 Posts
    #7  
    I want a revolution in quality not specs. I don't want more megapixels; I want a phone that takes nicer-looking pictures. I don't want the highest-resolution screen; I want more vibrant, realistic colors. I don't want a phone that is 1 mm thinner or 1 gram lighter...I want a phone that feels like it was put together with attention and care and manufactured from high-quality materials.
    Loyal first and foremost to a carrier (US Cellular). Open to either a Lumia 820, or an HTC 8X, or an Ativ S.
    wolf1891 likes this.
  8. Mitlov's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    390 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Tupper View Post
    True, neither my Titan II, MacBook Pro or iPad 2 can last all day with frequent usage... I think it should be a priority.
    Windows 8 (x86) tablets with Atom processors are claimed to have 10-12 hours battery life. Should be fantastic if the Thinkpad Tablet 2, Ativ Smart PC, and Envy X2 can actually deliver on that.
    Loyal first and foremost to a carrier (US Cellular). Open to either a Lumia 820, or an HTC 8X, or an Ativ S.
  9. #9  
    I agree with everyone else here, although I'm skeptical we will see battery life improving anytime soon. The reason being that we tell the manufacturers what we want with our purchasing dollars, and given the choice between a device with a battery life of 72 hours (which is what I would like) and a device with a much better CPU/GPU, I'm pretty certain most would purchase the later. Unfortunately, we don't have the tech to get both.
  10. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    781 Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    I agree with everyone else here, although I'm skeptical we will see battery life improving anytime soon. The reason being that we tell the manufacturers what we want with our purchasing dollars, and given the choice between a device with a battery life of 72 hours (which is what I would like) and a device with a much better CPU/GPU, I'm pretty certain most would purchase the later. Unfortunately, we don't have the tech to get both.
    Well they did a fairly good job to shorten the time it takes to get full charge, I guess a battery is possible before the end of this decade.

    Wheels.ca – Hydro-Quebec reserachers close to super-fast electric vehicle charger

    If this is now made possible, I believe that we are making progresses!
  11. #11  
    You know... I know I don't speak for everyone, but I already know that performance, specs, etc are going to improve over time, so really, battery life is what matters to me. I do just fine as-is, but it'd be great to go a whole day on 20% charge instead of the 40-50% I use today.
  12. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    781 Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
    You know... I know I don't speak for everyone, but I already know that performance, specs, etc are going to improve over time, so really, battery life is what matters to me. I do just fine as-is, but it'd be great to go a whole day on 20% charge instead of the 40-50% I use today.
    I use 75% to 100% of my battery during the day, some say I am addicted to my phone, but hey internet, Facebook, twitter, WPcentral, and many more apps to fill the empty spaces of the day can drain your battery very fast.
  13. AKA Preluva's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    #13  
    Bigger is better! No more postage stamp phones.
  14. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    781 Posts
       #14  
    I believe that making thinner phones brings innovations.
    Last edited by Simon Tupper; 09-11-2012 at 10:25 PM.
  15. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #15  
    None of the above.

    What I want is a mid-range WP smartphone with a sub-$300 "all-in" price. As in, the price to buy outright.

    Sell it for $299 on EVERY carrier under the sun. The Big Four, MetroPCS, Cricket, US Cellular, you name 'em.

    It would be the Commodore 64 of smartphones -- the first mobile smart device "for the masses, not the classes." It wouldn't require pricing games with "$199 up front plus a two-year contract on an inflated price plan with an eye-watering ETF."

    Just pay for the phone, choose your service provider, and go.
  16. Mitlov's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    390 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    None of the above.

    What I want is a mid-range WP smartphone with a sub-$300 "all-in" price. As in, the price to buy outright.

    Sell it for $299 on EVERY carrier under the sun. The Big Four, MetroPCS, Cricket, US Cellular, you name 'em.

    It would be the Commodore 64 of smartphones -- the first mobile smart device "for the masses, not the classes." It wouldn't require pricing games with "$199 up front plus a two-year contract on an inflated price plan with an eye-watering ETF."

    Just pay for the phone, choose your service provider, and go.
    Too bad many US providers don't have discounted prices for data plans if you bring your own device...so you end up paying $100 more over the course of two years than you would with a "$200-with-the-plan" flagship phone.

    And even for people who offer prepaid plans instead of contract plans, there's often a catch. US Cellular's coverage maps are not nearly as good for prepaid customers as they are for contract customers.

    If the carriers played ball, that would be great...but that's a big "if."
    Loyal first and foremost to a carrier (US Cellular). Open to either a Lumia 820, or an HTC 8X, or an Ativ S.
  17. #17  
    As I understand it (I don't live in the U.S.), the main reason U.S. residents buy their phones through carriers is because U.S. carriers don't have compatible networks. You can't just buy a phone and choose any carrier you like. However, every carrier world wide is currently transitioning to LTE. LTE is poised to become the worlds first global phone radio standard. Won't this totally change how U.S. residents buy phones, as the whole compatibility issue goes away? Isn't it likely that U.S. residents would also start seeing discounted prices for customers who bring their own device? Or is there more to it that I don't understand?
  18. andrelamont's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    As I understand it (I don't live in the U.S.), the main reason U.S. residents buy their phones through carriers is because U.S. carriers don't have compatible networks. You can't just buy a phone and choose any carrier you like. However, every carrier world wide is currently transitioning to LTE. LTE is poised to become the worlds first global phone radio standard. Won't this totally change how U.S. residents buy phones, as the whole compatibility issue goes away? Isn't it likely that U.S. residents would also start seeing discounted prices for customers who bring their own device? Or is there more to it that I don't understand?

    U would think the 70MHz band (LTE)would allow all the LTE devices but that's not the case. US carriers have and will make sure that they can their devices incompatible on the same frequency

    Will AT&T and Verizon 4G LTE ever be compatible? | Mobile - CNET News


    In the us AT&T and Verizon are powerful enough to influence congress to not enforce compatibility like the EU did in Europe. IF the people were to raise this issue enough, then congress would do something as votes are more important than lobbyist money
    Thanked by:
    a5cent 
  19. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitlov View Post
    Too bad many US providers don't have discounted prices for data plans if you bring your own device...so you end up paying $100 more over the course of two years than you would with a "$200-with-the-plan" flagship phone.

    And even for people who offer prepaid plans instead of contract plans, there's often a catch. US Cellular's coverage maps are not nearly as good for prepaid customers as they are for contract customers.

    If the carriers played ball, that would be great...but that's a big "if."
    If they saw an advantage to doing it (like not losing customers), you'd see momentum. Especially if BYOD plans on MVNOs like Straight Talk and actual carriers like T-Mo start peeling off out-of-contract (or even contract-bound) customers.
  20. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by andrelamont View Post
    US carriers have and will make sure that they can their devices incompatible on the same frequency
    Long live HSPA 42! All the real-world performance of standard LTE, with better battery life and no nasty proprietary radio frequency lock-in!

    Or perhaps manufacturers will release 32-band LTE phones in the future? ;)
  21. Duvi's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,975 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    #21  
    I chose "Better Overall Performances and Specs" as that includes battery performance IMO.

    I can never get enough performance & specs, especially when it comes to cameras.

    WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod
    X0LARIUM likes this.
  22. X0LARIUM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,661 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,764 Global Posts
    #22  
    My vote for: Better Overall Performances and Specs.

    Cause, if u have a better optimization and performance, your battery life will automatically be sorted.

    On the other hand, no matter how good ur battery is, if its a resource hogger, it will drain quicker..

    my two pens...
  23. shaunydub's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    241 Posts
    #23  
    I would also like incremental volume increase on ringtones....I used to use this all the time on my old Nokia's... ringer starts low and gets louder the longer it rings. ;)
  24. SnailUK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    971 Posts
    #24  
    I'd say price.

    With 2 kids, a mortgage, etc, £500 for a phone is a bit of a luxury, especially when i barely ever use it as a phone.

    Part of me is tempted to just get a £10 PAYG mobile, and a 7" tablet with a 3G connection.
  25. #25  
    Am I the only one who misses an infrared port. There used to be so many cool remote apps, now it seems that is an area that is dying
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions