Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58
Like Tree25Likes
  1. Mitlov's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    390 Posts
       #1  
    With WP8, it's do-or-die time for Nokia. Unfortunately, their efforts in the US were severely hampered by relying solely on AT&T for the Lumia 900 and T-Mobile for the Lumia 710. No Verizon, no Sprint, no US Cellular, no other carriers. And contrary to what some OEMs seem to believe, many people will not change carriers just to get certain hardware.

    So can we expect either the Lumia 920 or Lumia 820 on every carrier that is going to support WP8 (i.e., everyone but Sprint)? Can us US Cellular folks at least expect the 820, if not the 920?

    To ask it slightly differently, was there any legitimate business reason for keeping the Lumia 900 just on AT&T (as opposed to the Galaxy S3 being on every carrier)? If so, does that business reason still apply to the WP8 lineup?
    Loyal first and foremost to a carrier (US Cellular). Open to either a Lumia 820, or an HTC 8X, or an Ativ S.
  2. thed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    993 Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitlov View Post
    With WP8, it's do-or-die time for Nokia. Unfortunately, their efforts in the US were severely hampered by relying solely on AT&T for the Lumia 900 and T-Mobile for the Lumia 710. No Verizon, no Sprint, no US Cellular, no other carriers. And contrary to what some OEMs seem to believe, many people will not change carriers just to get certain hardware.

    So can we expect either the Lumia 920 or Lumia 820 on every carrier that is going to support WP8 (i.e., everyone but Sprint)? Can us US Cellular folks at least expect the 820, if not the 920?

    To ask it slightly differently, was there any legitimate business reason for keeping the Lumia 900 just on AT&T (as opposed to the Galaxy S3 being on every carrier)? If so, does that business reason still apply to the WP8 lineup?
    I think the idea was that AT&T would help promote the L900 in exchange for the exclusivity, but I don't think they sold enough units to make it worth the money they spent on advertising. The problem is that AT&T is only like 30% of the US market. Hopefully they learned their lesson this time around. You know what they say about the definition of insanity.
    Old_Cus and Mitlov like this.
  3. #3  
    I hope they will promote the **** out of both models. And I'll be honest... I'd love it if they bypass the exclusives entirely and go for both models on all carriers that are willing to take it. If they want to promote from within, go with incentives at the stores just like they did the 900 and AT&T.
    wolf1891 and Old_Cus like this.
  4. Mitlov's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    390 Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
    I hope they will promote the **** out of both models. And I'll be honest... I'd love it if they bypass the exclusives entirely and go for both models on all carriers that are willing to take it. If they want to promote from within, go with incentives at the stores just like they did the 900 and AT&T.
    If they want promotion, they would be wise to pay attention to smaller carriers like T-Mobile and US Cellular. Verizon and AT&T are top dog already, so they can be complacent, AND they have a track record of pushing potential customers toward the iPhone or, in Verizon's case, the Motorola Droid line.

    Smaller carriers can't afford to be complacent. T-Mobile is aggressive as **** with advertising, and if you live somewhere where US Cellular is strong (like Oregon), you can't turn on the radio or open a newspaper without seeing their ads. And because they don't have the iPhone or as many Android flagships, they will promote the **** out of what they do have to counteract the impression that they only have second-tier phones. I have not seen a single other carrier push the Galaxy S3 as hard as US Cellular does. Why? It's US Cellular's only honest-to-God flagship-quality device right now. If US Cellular had the Lumia 920, I don't doubt for a second they would push it equally hard.
    Loyal first and foremost to a carrier (US Cellular). Open to either a Lumia 820, or an HTC 8X, or an Ativ S.
  5. odin09's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    482 Posts
    #5  
    If Nokia only offers the 820 to Verizon customers I think they will be doomed. From the looks of it Verizon will have the flagship Samsung and HTC phones but only midlevel Nokia. Verizon is powerful for a reason... They offer the best service!

    Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express
    Thanked by:
  6. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,278 Posts
    #6  
    A lot of people get low-mid level devices.

    Androids biggest market share is from the low-mid range.

    While us enthusiasts want the flagship, a majority of people want something cheap.

    If the 820 is on Verizon, and is $49 $99 with contract, I think it could be pretty competitive.
  7. Mitlov's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    390 Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    A lot of people get low-mid level devices.

    Androids biggest market share is from the low-mid range.

    While us enthusiasts want the flagship, a majority of people want something cheap.

    If the 820 is on Verizon, and is $49 $99 with contract, I think it could be pretty competitive.
    But without the halo device, people won't notice or care about the OS. You need both--the flagship phone in your lineup to get people interested, and the mid-range device with 2/3s of people end up buying to save money.

    Samsung may sell a lot of lower-end devices, but people wouldn't be looking at Android in the first place if the Galaxy S2 and S3 weren't out there in sufficient numbers to create a "halo."
    Loyal first and foremost to a carrier (US Cellular). Open to either a Lumia 820, or an HTC 8X, or an Ativ S.
  8. jeremyshaw's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    602 Posts
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    #8  
    If it has an AT&T logo anywhere on the phone, I'm not buying it. Factory unlocked only. I'm done with how AT&T screws with everything on android, but not ever releasing major os updates (yet still pushing their useless adware in their latest update a month ago to my htc inspire), and to a lesser extent baking crap (AT&T startup logo, AT&T favorites in Internet explorer) that cannot be removed into windows phone 7. And the stuff you can remove? Comes back every time I reset (quite a bit, because of work).
  9. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,278 Posts
    #9  
    As long as at least one OEM puts a halo device on Verizon, it will be good.

    They'll see the 820 as the budget alternative to the Ativ or whatever halo device HTC brings.
  10. PG2G's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    453 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitlov View Post
    But without the halo device, people won't notice or care about the OS. You need both--the flagship phone in your lineup to get people interested, and the mid-range device with 2/3s of people end up buying to save money.

    Samsung may sell a lot of lower-end devices, but people wouldn't be looking at Android in the first place if the Galaxy S2 and S3 weren't out there in sufficient numbers to create a "halo."
    A halo device doesn't even have to be on that specific carrier to be effective. A customer will see an add for an AT&T Lumia 920, wander into Verizon and ask if they carry it. They tell them no, but we have the Lumia 822. Same effect...
  11. scottcraft's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,401 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    #11  
    I certainly won't buy an 820. If Verizon doesn't carry a top WP I won't be getting one. I really want the 920, but I'm willing to check out the offerings from Samsung and HTC.
    snowmutt and Garrett92C like this.
  12. Kredrian's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    175 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #12  
    It has to come from the carriers, it not like Nokia just calls up Verizon and says "Your going to carry this phone." The carrier tells Nokia or whomever that they will carry a particular device. Its a no brainer for a device they know they can sell, but one they are skeptical about is a whole different matter, hence why there were so few offerings on carriers like Verizon and Sprint up to this point.

    If any carrier provides multiple WP8 devices, that would be a sign that they are confident WP8 can sell.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    --
    "A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession."
    Albert Camus
    Residing likes this.
  13. snowmutt's Avatar

    Posts
    3,513 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,532 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #13  
    They will be on all of them... including Sprint. They will jump on the bandwagon before Summer so as not to look behind the competition. (Just a prediction.)

    Nokia will be everywhere, and will have follow up devices everywhere as well. They are going with a sense of urgency.
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.
    db4williams likes this.
  14. jimski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,254 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kredrian View Post
    It has to come from the carriers, it not like Nokia just calls up Verizon and says "Your going to carry this phone." The carrier tells Nokia or whomever that they will carry a particular device. Its a no brainer for a device they know they can sell, but one they are skeptical about is a whole different matter, hence why there were so few offerings on carriers like Verizon and Sprint up to this point. .

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Took the words right out of my thumbs. Just a guess, but I bet you lunch that Nokia would love to have every one of their phones offered by every carrier. Just like Home Depot decides which cordless drills they are going to offer, Carriers have the final say in which phones they are going to put on their shelves. Carrying a phone costs money, for inventory, training, display material, marketing, etc. If a Carrier thinks (or can be convinced) that a particular phone can close deals (contracts) they will jump on it. For them, it's all about making money. Nothing personal.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
  15. Mr. MacPhisto's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    #15  
    The thing is that the carriers want some kind of exclusive. It may not be the phone as a whole, but something involving the phone.

    Something that struck me about the showing of the 920 and the 820 were that both were shown with a red backing. Do we think it any accident that the Lumia 900 was featured in cyan (blue)? I could be reading too much into this, but it seems to me that the prominence of the red, especially with the 920, indicates that Verizon will have both the 820 and the 920 available - and probably will get the "Verizon Red" versions as exclusives.

    While my Trophy is not red on the outside, the battery and back compartment are. I actually would not be surprised if we see each carrier get a different color. AT&T may get the yellow as a changeup. AT&T may also get the gray. Not sure if T-Mobile will even get the 920.

    I keep hearing that VZW will have at least four total WP8 devices for launch and may have up to five. The Samsung is supposed to be a go. HTC may be providing two devices and same for Nokia. The word continues to be that VZW plans to do for WP8 what they did for Android.

    I still hope that MS, Nokia, etc do something to encourage switching - maybe comping equivalent paid apps or a $10-20 credit in Windows Phone Store for switchers from Android and iOS.
    db4williams likes this.
  16. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #16  
    Judging from the Everything Everywhere exclusivity news, it seems Nokia's sticking with circa-2007 smartphone marketing (i.e. the "carrier exclusive.")

    Samsung has proven that a single (non-Apple) phone model can sell VERY well on every carrier without the need for excessive carrier "customizations" that increase cost and reduce utility.

    Today, every carrier has something to set it apart other than the device. Verizon has their big coverage map. AT&T has rollover minutes and international GSM roaming. T-Mobile has fast unlimited data for cheap. And Sprint has... ummm... well, unlimited data and WiMax (and more rural coverage than T-Mobile).

    Hopefully Samsung and HTC will get all their WP devices on all the carriers without exclusives or "carrier-specific" versions. I'd bet the ATIV S will be on every carrier without any variation other than the supporting radio tech, given Samsung's success with the S III.
  17. 12Danny123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,705 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,270 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Judging from the Everything Everywhere exclusivity news, it seems Nokia's sticking with circa-2007 smartphone marketing (i.e. the "carrier exclusive.")

    Samsung has proven that a single (non-Apple) phone model can sell VERY well on every carrier without the need for excessive carrier "customizations" that increase cost and reduce utility.

    Today, every carrier has something to set it apart other than the device. Verizon has their big coverage map. AT&T has rollover minutes and international GSM roaming. T-Mobile has fast unlimited data for cheap. And Sprint has... ummm... well, unlimited data and WiMax (and more rural coverage than T-Mobile).

    Hopefully Samsung and HTC will get all their WP devices on all the carriers without exclusives or "carrier-specific" versions. I'd bet the ATIV S will be on every carrier without any variation other than the supporting radio tech, given Samsung's success with the S III.
    While I do think the Ativ S will be the most popular Wp in the US. but worldwide.. it's a different story. Nokia will dominate worldwide. Also I do think Samsung will advertise the phone heavily
    - Xbox Account: SocialDanny123 Twitter: @SuDanny123

    Lived in LA USA now moved to Auckland New Zealand :-)

    Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

    [IMG][/IMG]
  18. SnailUK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    971 Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Judging from the Everything Everywhere exclusivity news, it seems Nokia's sticking with circa-2007 smartphone marketing (i.e. the "carrier exclusive.")
    Depends how you look at it.

    WP has not been very popular at all so far, and thus i doubt any carriers are actually that fussed about WP8 (regardless of which phone).

    I would wager Microsoft and Nokia are throwing money around to get carriers excited by their phones. Do Microsoft just throw money at every carrier, and none bother to promote WP8, or do they target specfic carriers, so the carrier promotes WP8.
  19. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quite possibly the first time in a long while that they can advertise without the feeling that there is no substance behind the claims. Symbian devices were bad, MeeGo devices were DOA, and Mango devices were underpowered and ultimately underwhelming.
  20. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    566 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,830 Global Posts
    #20  
    What leverage does Nokia have to get 'aggressive' with carriers? None as far as I can see.
  21. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    997 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgk1 View Post
    What leverage does Nokia have to get 'aggressive' with carriers? None as far as I can see.
    About as any other WP8 vendor as far as I can see. As usual, Nokia will probably have to heavily subsidize their products to make them appealing to vendors-especially considering they are on a new relatively unknown platform.

    Up here (Canada) I have seen four different WP7.5 devices on three different carriers. Nokia 900, 800, 710 and 610. The problem isn't Nokia, Samsung or HTC - it's the lack of popularity with the o/s. If WP8 gains steam, I suspect more devices will be made available.
    My next phone...
  22. PG2G's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    453 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    WP has not been very popular at all so far, and thus i doubt any carriers are actually that fussed about WP8 (regardless of which phone).
    The carriers (in the US at least) have acknowledged the importance that a non-iOS and non-Android ecosystem exists and will all (with the exception of Sprint) have multiple WP8 devices.
  23. Mr. MacPhisto's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    Depends how you look at it.

    WP has not been very popular at all so far, and thus i doubt any carriers are actually that fussed about WP8 (regardless of which phone).

    I would wager Microsoft and Nokia are throwing money around to get carriers excited by their phones. Do Microsoft just throw money at every carrier, and none bother to promote WP8, or do they target specfic carriers, so the carrier promotes WP8.
    Don't count on carriers not being fussed about it.

    Android costs them a lot of extra money annually due to support issues. Google updates the OS, but the carriers have to work on deployment. They also have to do tech support issues, most of them stemming from interface differences between the manufacturers. There's now also concern about the platform due to the Samsung lawsuit.

    iPhone is also expensive due to Apple's demands on the carriers.

    Then back to the Samsung suit - the carriers may not pay mind to WP8, but manufacturers will in increasing numbers. MS can offer them protection from Apple's lawsuits.

    But ultimately, the WP8 model is probably the one that helps the carriers the most. They have a big partner that requires the consistent ecosystem of the OS be maintained. MS will deploy OS updates directly while giving carriers the ability to create custom apps and hubs for the their customers.

    The reality of Windows Phone is that it will cost carriers less in support, will cause less technical issues, and will not have the same kind of high demands as Apple. This is why Verizon is going all in. The corporate sales guy I know has said to me that VZW's goal is to have over 50% of all their smartphone sales be WP8 devices by the end of next year. They will be particularly pushing to move iPhone users with special offers. The money saved by having more WP8 subscribers will help their bottom line and also allow them to spend even more on enhancing their network.

    This is the pitch MS made to VZW earlier this year for an enhanced presence and they loved what they saw.

    And for carriers like Samsung, it will cost less to license WP8 for a device than the patent fees they pay MS right now on their Android devices.

    I fully expect an onslaught of ads at the end of the year and exclusive offers for those who switch to Windows Phone as enticements. VZW wants to populate their stores with WP8 devices and lower the amount of Android devices they carry.
  24. wolf1891's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    354 Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmutt View Post
    They will be on all of them... including Sprint. They will jump on the bandwagon before Summer so as not to look behind the competition. (Just a prediction.)

    Nokia will be everywhere, and will have follow up devices everywhere as well. They are going with a sense of urgency.
    I sure hope that your predictions here turn out to be right as having offerings available on every carrier it would certainly be a big help in getting WP more accepted amongst the masses (which would be a very good thing).
  25. Mitlov's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    390 Posts
       #25  
    US Cellular has issued a statement saying it's "excited" by WP8 and will carry multiple WP8 devices. Fingers crossed the Lumia 920 is one of them. From what I've seen of the 820, I don't like it nearly as much (no new camera tech, no gorilla glass, aftermarket-looking case, and only 8 gb onboard storage).

    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406483,00.asp
    Loyal first and foremost to a carrier (US Cellular). Open to either a Lumia 820, or an HTC 8X, or an Ativ S.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions