Who wins the WP8 devices battle to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I will get back to my first choice and I chose the ATIV s
Why?

My HTC Titan II has a lot of problem and I owned a HD7 before that I returned for the same reason. So to me HTC is a no-no.

The Lumia is very thick, heavy and I am not a fan of the glossy finish, yes wireless charging is cool. but does it change anything? not really... the thickness is a deal breaker to me, I like having a phone that looks premium and high tech, the Lumia looks good when you see front and back pictures but picture of the side show the phone has if it's pregnant of another phone...

The ATIV s is elegant, slim and Samsung's reputation is good. Now I hear the haters say "screw samsung and it's plastic phones!" guess what... plastic looks good... polycarbonate looks like plastic... and I rarely hear my friend who own samsung focus, SG2s and SG3s complain so I will give sammy a go.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Have fun with your ATIV then. One less guy to fight with me for a Matte Black L920.

Honestly though I don't get how people say that the Lumias are thick and heavy. My L900 feels solid, not light, and L920 is only a few grams heavier. How bad can that be?

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I will get back to my first choice and I chose the ATIV s
Why?

My HTC Titan II has a lot of problem and I owned a HD7 before that I returned for the same reason. So to me HTC is a no-no.

The Lumia is very thick, heavy and I am not a fan of the glossy finish, yes wireless charging is cool. but does it change anything? not really... the thickness is a deal breaker to me, I like having a phone that looks premium and high tech, the Lumia looks good when you see front and back pictures but picture of the side show the phone has if it's pregnant of another phone...

The ATIV s is elegant, slim and Samsung's reputation is good. Now I hear the haters say "screw samsung and it's plastic phones!" guess what... plastic looks good... polycarbonate looks like plastic... and I rarely hear my friend who own samsung focus, SG2s and SG3s complain so I will give sammy a go.

I wouldn't want the size of the Lumia 920 to hurt your girl arms.

The 900 feels like you holding a thick glass in your hand. Like if it falls is just gonna break into a million pieces.

As opposed to the plastic party that is Samsung phones?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The Lumias aren't for everyone.

That's good because as long as there are people buying Samsung and HTC Windows Phones, we should continue to have internal competition and a wide variety of choices.

I still expect Lumia sales to completely eclipse the WP offerings of Samsung and HTC though.

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
The Lumias aren't for everyone.

That's good because as long as there are people buying Samsung and HTC Windows Phones, we should continue to have internal competition and a wide variety of choices.

I still expect Lumia sales to completely eclipse the WP offerings of Samsung and HTC though.

+1 The Lumia has more of... how should I word it... tomorrow's tech. HTC is spec'd like a nice smartphone that you'd expect to see in today's world. To people buying on contract, the price shouldn't be much different between the 8X and the 920. But the 920 is more "future proof", which is why someone shopping for a phone to last 2 years would chose it over the 8x.

Personally, I'm buying off contract. When my current contract is up next summer, I will most likely be leaving AT&T... So it might make more sense for me to try a cheaper option now and, if I decide to stick with windows phone, wait for the next gen of "hero windows phones" to get the best spec'd phone... just my $.02.

austrianball#IM

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why people think thin=better. I have held the iPhone 4S the Titan, Titan II, Galaxy S III, L900, L710, and many many more phones. The one I don't enjoy holding for long periods of time, the iPhone. It has a uncomfortable hard edge. I can hold on to my 710 for hours and have no problems and its 2mm thicker then the 920. Better ergonomics is more important then how thin it is. But hey whatever floats your boat.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why people think thin=better. I have held the iPhone 4S the Titan, Titan II, Galaxy S III, L900, L710, and many many more phones. The one I don't enjoy holding for long periods of time, the iPhone. It has a uncomfortable hard edge. I can hold on to my 710 for hours and have no problems and its 2mm thicker then the 920. Better ergonomics is more important then how thin it is. But hey whatever floats your boat.
I think it's because thinner phones fit better in the pocket. I don't put phones in my pocket (more difficult for me to answer a call than on a belt clip, that and I hate losing a pocket to a cellphone) but I imagine a lot of people do.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think the "thin" thing is kind of a fad.

I'm not saying that people want super thick phones. But after a certain point, it became more about some "coolness factor" than about real practical need.

Kind of how the whole "small phone" thing was big in the 90's.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I think the "thin" thing is kind of a fad.

I'm not saying that people want super thick phones. But after a certain point, it became more about some "coolness factor" than about real practical need.

Kind of how the whole "small phone" thing was big in the 90's.
That mentality in the 90 brough a lot of innovations

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I disagree, a thin, light devices is better than a thich,heavy one.

Why?

1- A phone is something you are carrying on your hands a lot, the lighter the better.
2- A heavy phone suffers more damage from a fall.
3- A thin phone fits easily on your pockets.

Is about usability, is about technological improvements. Of course I'm using logic and you are just defending heavy devices because the 920 is heavy and no other reason.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to close this. It's just a rehash of the same argument going on in other threads and will only lead to other members attacking each other or their specific OEM choices. While there is no clear winner it is good for WP and the consumer that we have choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786