Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Global Posts
    510 Global Posts

When comparing the upcoming Nokia Lumia 920 specs sheet with the other latest smartphone such as Samsung Galaxy S III or Apple iPhone 5, people criticized about the thickness of Lumia 920. Even though the numbers look big when comparing against its competitors, Lumia 920 is slimmer than Nokia Lumia 800 and Nokia Lumia 900. Its just 10.7 mm thick and the reason behind this thickness must be the camera sensor within it. As you can see in the image above, the camera sensor unit is almost 7mm thick.

This camera module packs Carl Zeiss optics, Optical Image Stabilization, 26mm Focal Length, F2.0 aperture, true 16:9 sensor, BIS and 8.7MP which allows us to take truly amazing photos and videos in any conditions. I think the thickness of the device was justified by Nokia by the features it embodies within it. Other than the camera, Lumia 920 has Wireless charging functionality, Pentaband LTE, NFC, 2000 mAh battery, PureMotion HD+ Display and the ever lasting Polycarbonate unibody design. What do you think?
    Source

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Good post and makes sense. I would happily give up some thickness if those quality pictures translate to real world performance.
    Zulfigar likes this.

Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts
    Jesus - for the last time - the 920 isn't overly thick. It's only .5 mm thicker than an 8X.

It's overly heavy.
    My next phone...

I think 4" - 4.3" is the screen size that the mainstream consumer finds desirable today. It's a real shame that most flagship phones from every manufacturer (except apple) are jumbo-sized. I would never ordinarily consider HTC, but I want a windows phone and the 920 is a little big for my taste, so I might end up with the 8X. I actually spend a lot of time before holding the Lumia 900 in the store to consider if it was too big. I convinced myself that it was the upper limit of what I found acceptable, and now I learn that the 920 even goes beyond that in terms of dimensions and weight.

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahhk22 View Post
    I actually spend a lot of time before holding the Lumia 900 in the store to consider if it was too big. I convinced myself that it was the upper limit of what I found acceptable, and now I learn that the 920 even goes beyond that in terms of dimensions and weight.
    I came to similar conclusion. I could barely reach all 4 corners of the 900 with one hand. I usually use my phones one handed, so that's a big deal for me. I feel the 8x (being longer than the 920) will be too big too. The 8s has a great form factor. I just don't want a phone that's so crippled that I have a bad experience with WP8.

I think that Nokia should have redesign the camera sensor to make it smaller, it is a poor excuse on my point of view. Apple would have find a way to make it smaller to make sure that it don't adds any unwanted thickness
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Tupper View Post
    I think that Nokia should have redesign the camera sensor to make it smaller, it is a poor excuse on my point of view. Apple would have find a way to make it smaller to make sure that it don't adds any unwanted thickness
    Sometimes when you're *actually innovating* and bringing something new instead of just improving what's already out there, you have to make some concessions to get it to market in a decent timeframe. Instead of sacrificing battery capacity, image quality, build quality, etc, Nokia opted to make a hefty device. I for one would rather have a heavier, more capable device weighing down my pants. I can always tighten my belt.

And even the almighty Apple took two years to shrink their excellent camera module.
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    So get an apple.

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    Nokia. Damned if they do (make a great camera sensor), damned if the don't (make the phone a tad thicker than the competition). Geezz. They can't win.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
    Thanked by:

Well you usually loose something and win something.

There are low light pictures of Lumia 920 where it simply destroys iPhone 5. Personally could care less that Lumia 920 is 10mm, especially as Lumia 800 owner who knows how the phone is sculpted, it doesn't feel thick at all to me.
    Lumia 920 is thinner than Lumia 800 or Lumia 900.

Here btw picture of the pocket camera destroyer 808 PureView sensor compared to competitors 8MP and 5MP sensors.

suvastallions likes this.

Global Posts
    1,160 Global Posts
    The way I see it Apple is just trying to convince people that they do not need OIS, NFC and Qi charging. Can't say for sure but the supersensitive touch most likely added a bit of extra bulk as well.

I believe that Nokia wanted to show the full package of what can be done today, and this is it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lol

Do you think they were sitting around saying, "We can make it smaller, but let's not do it!"

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I am not understanding the obsession with thin phones compared to actual features. 11mm or 9mm. Is it really that big of a difference?

I want a phone with a rugged chassis that can whistand a drop and we all know how superior Nokia is in this domain.

So it's not a laptop and a couple of mm or extra grams are not going to make that much of a difference. Oh my wrist hurts from how heavy the 920 is. I am going to buy and S III instead! :D

Let's drop test an iPhone 5 and S III and a 920 and see.
    Nokia Lumia 920 | Rogers Wireless Canada
    HP Touchpad 32GB CM 9 ICS
    Thanked by:
    I want features and things I can use on my phone that I will actually use. A thin phone isn't a feature.

Weight is an issue. But really, 65 grams more than average and somehow the phone goes from slim to gargantuan?
    Thanked by:
    azasadny likes this.
    I actually spend a lot of time before holding the Lumia 900 in the store to consider if it was too big. I convinced myself that it was the upper limit of what I found acceptable, and now I learn that the 920 even goes beyond that in terms of dimensions and weight.
    I did that as well, and although it is large, there isn't really the choice if you want the nokia apps which I do.
    The 820 is crippled by its screen res, Im not buying a next gen phone with last gen screen

I know I will find the phone too heavy IN MY POCKET but I will learn to live with it as a price for having the amazing specs that come with it

I think 4" - 4.3" is the screen size that the mainstream consumer finds desirable today. It's a real shame that most flagship phones from every manufacturer (except apple) are jumbo-sized. I would never ordinarily consider HTC, but I want a windows phone and the 920 is a little big for my taste, so I might end up with the 8X. I actually spend a lot of time before holding the Lumia 900 in the store to consider if it was too big. I convinced myself that it was the upper limit of what I found acceptable, and now I learn that the 920 even goes beyond that in terms of dimensions and weight.
    The Lumia 900, HTC 8x, and Lumia 920 are so close in size that it is negligible.

The 8x is tallest by quite a bit
    The Lumia 900 is the thickest by quite a bit
    The Lumia 920 is the widest and heaviest

I will repeat this again because I want the message out. DO NOT LOOK AT SCREEN SIZE TO JUDGE THE SIZE OF THE PHONE. It is one factor and not even a good one at that. The most important thing is the physical dimensions. The 4.7 inch Optimus G is smaller than the HTC 8X for example. Not just a little smaller, a lot more.
    Last edited by tomatoes11; 09-23-2012 at 01:55 PM.

I would be the happiest guy in the world if Nokia announced a thinner Lumia 920 with only a iphone or HTC level camera. I don't think a camera is a big deal to be honest, as long as it is good.

Quote Originally Posted by xsever View Post
    I am not understanding the obsession with thin phones compared to actual features. 11mm or 9mm. Is it really that big of a difference?

I want a phone with a rugged chassis that can whistand a drop and we all know how superior Nokia is in this domain.

So it's not a laptop and a couple of mm or extra grams are not going to make that much of a difference. Oh my wrist hurts from how heavy the 920 is. I am going to buy and S III instead! :D

Let's drop test an iPhone 5 and S III and a 920 and see.
    Yes it does make a difference with regards to pocketability.

Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    lol

Do you think they were sitting around saying, "We can make it smaller, but let's not do it!"
    not necessarily smaller, but change it's shape... make it fit in, so that it don't had so much thickness.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    Do you believe Nokia purposely made it thick? Not saying the camera is the only reason it's that thick, but I'm sure their engineers weren't saying "lets make it a bit thicker... most folks like that" when they were designing it.

WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod

I don't see what is so cool about the Lumia... Wireless charging? mkay...so you have to leave it on the changer, don't move it, because it wont charge! Pure View camera? personnaly I never take pictures at night... and I think it's good but not revolutionary since you sacrifice space to make it fit.... and NFC is in most phones... Super sensitive touch, cool but i wouldnt type with cloves anyway, my fingers would be way too big, I would have to remove the gloves... so... overall I don't see why it's creating such a buzz...

not necessarily smaller, but change it's shape... make it fit in, so that it don't had so much thickness.
    Thinking it's about the lens construction and the OIS, i doubt you can change the shape.

Anyways i can't believe we are even talking about this. Lumia 920 is 10.7mm at it thickest part in the middle where the 2.5D glass and the curved back are at it's thickest.
    Always loved how the Lumia 800 curved glass and back felt on your hand and that phone was 2mm thicker than Lumia 920.

I don't see what is so cool about the Lumia... Wireless charging? mkay...so you have to leave it on the changer, don't move it, because it wont charge! Pure View camera? personnaly I never take pictures at night... and I think it's good but not revolutionary since you sacrifice space to make it fit.... and NFC is in most phones... Super sensitive touch, cool but i wouldnt type with cloves anyway, my fingers would be way too big, I would have to remove the gloves... so... overall I don't see why it's creating such a buzz...
    Well don't get Lumia 920. Can't get much more simple.
    We all appreciate different things, why we all are not carrying the same phones.

I will be using all of the features mentioned above and to me the biggest shortfall of any camera phone is the images get grainy when you just take a pic in shadow or poorly lit room. Idea isn't that Lumia 920 shines (pun not intended) in dark, Nokia is just of course demonstrating it in the most extreme way.
    Last edited by tissotti; 09-23-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Just like to point out, still respect your personal opinion.

I don't see what is so cool about the Lumia... Wireless charging? mkay...so you have to leave it on the changer, don't move it, because it wont charge!
    Wireless charging is for the scenario where you don't have to constantly plug and unplug your charging cables from your phone. Plug the cable once into the dock and worry no more. Yeah you can't move it, but it's for scenarios where you'd be strictly topping off your phone.

Pure View camera? personnaly I never take pictures at night... and I think it's good but not revolutionary since you sacrifice space to make it fit....
    Don't forget it'll be good for taking pics during the day too; promising no fumbled shots and clarity. Plus sacrifices have to made somewhere not just in device height, but time to production.

The real focus should be on the fact that Nokia even put thought into making a floating lens. How long have we had smartphones and no one until now thought to try to solve that problem outside of software, but with, most likely, a combination of both?

Super sensitive touch, cool but i wouldnt type with cloves anyway, my fingers would be way too big, I would have to remove the gloves... so... overall I don't see why it's creating such a buzz...
    That's cool, some people got smaller fingers and like to keep them warm.

In general, I suggest once the 920's released to sign up for the Nokia Trial program where they let you try a device for two weeks. Though I think selection helps if you're gonna review the phone and put out lots of word of mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by blehblehbleh View Post
    Just like to point out, still respect your personal opinion.

Wireless charging is for the scenario where you don't have to constantly plug and unplug your charging cables from your phone. Plug the cable once into the dock and worry no more. Yeah you can't move it, but it's for scenarios where you'd be strictly topping off your phone.

Don't forget it'll be good for taking pics during the day too; promising no fumbled shots and clarity. Plus sacrifices have to made somewhere not just in device height, but time to production.

The real focus should be on the fact that Nokia even put thought into making a floating lens. How long have we had smartphones and no one until now thought to try to solve that problem outside of software, but with, most likely, a combination of both?

That's cool, some people got smaller fingers and like to keep them warm.

In general, I suggest once the 920's released to sign up for the Nokia Trial program where they let you try a device for two weeks. Though I think selection helps if you're gonna review the phone and put out lots of word of mouth.
    anyway here in Canada, Bell and Telus (two major carriers) won't get the Lumia 920, and are more likely to get Samsung since it sells good, but Rogers (another big carrier) could get it. HTC have a bad reputation except for the One X, I spoke with a lot with sale men and they are all sold to Sammy and iPhone, HTC is often said t make cheap quality phones and I can tell that my Titan II is not as good as I thought... laggy as **** and the problem is the hardware...
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blehblehbleh View Post

Where can you sign up for this trial program?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast