Rumor: Nokia planning to sue to stop release of HTC devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind that WP8 is designed to promote the colored shells. Its not just Nokia/HTC that will have the colored backs---every WP8 device should get them.

WP7 was just as colorful as WP8 is. But LG, Dell, HTC, Samsung, etc...none of them went with brightly-colored polycarbonate cases for their WP7 phones. Nokia did with the Lumia 800 and Lumia 900, and suddenly everyone realized it looked fantastic when combined with the OS. It's only in retrospect that people say "it was so obvious that you should use brightly-colored polycarbonate with Windows Phone."

Nokia WAS an innovator here. Not worth suing over IMO, but they're the one that planted this design seed.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
far from identical... only because the front of the phone is similar? come on the edges are not the same, the speaker is different, all I see is that they both have a screen and there is a front facing camera (ARRR damn HTC!)? Maybe they should have made it with small bumps on the screen?

How far can you stretch that copying claim?
Hard to know how far they can or will stretch the copying claim. My thoughts are primarily looking at the two phones from the front. Nokia was obviously there first in terms of the colored unibody shell on previous versions of the Lumia. If you put the 820 and the 8x side by side facing towards you, they are nearly identical. Obviously there are other differences when looking at different parts of the phone.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't see how this is bad news.

It's REALLY simple not to get sued.

COME UP WITH YOUR OWN DESIGN IDEAS.

That's it.

I'm not sure why some Asian companies *Samsung* *cough* *HTC* *cough* can't seem to understand that deliberately ripping off the design and style of your competitors MIGHT just invite some retaliation.

Anyone who doesn't see that Samung deliberately ripped off the iPhone and that HTC is clearly trying to ride the coattails of the Lumia 800/9xx popularity is in denial or just being willfully ignorant.

COME UP WITH YOUR OWN DESIGNS AND YOU WON'T BE SUED.

Nokia cannot afford not to defend itself relentlessly here. I don't blame them one bit.

That said, I think HTC did one thing better than Nokia here. They made the 8X a reasonable size with a 4.3" screen and a reasonably light weight AND gave it a high res 720p screen.

Nokia has disappointed me a bit by making the 920 even bigger and heavier than the 900. I consider myself pretty loyal to Nokia and I still believe they make the best Windows phones, but until they introduce a Win8 phone with high resolution that is the same size or SMALLER and LIGHTER than my 900, I'm not really yearning to buy a new phone.

Luckily I have almost a year and a half until my contract is up. I'll be patient, but I really hope Nokia does not forget there is an audience for premium phones that aren't stupid-sized like a Samsung Android monstrosity and which don't get increasingly heavy with every new iteration.

Nokia, PLEASE don't make us choose between a decontented 800x480 budget model that fits in the pocket comfortably and a 5 pound phablet phone with all the bells and whistles. :dry

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
What Nokia are you comparing the 8x to? The 8x has the high res screen so does the 920. The 820 is the one nokia is "supposedly" claiming was copied.

The samsung lawsuit was unfounded to me. Apple targeted samsung and had to pay off judges or something. Nothing about the handsets in the lawsuit look like a iP4. Only similarity is that they are rectangles with rounded corners from front view. Apple is square from the side, samsungs have curves.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
The samsung lawsuit was unfounded to me. Apple targeted samsung and had to pay off judges or something. Nothing about the handsets in the lawsuit look like a iP4. Only similarity is that they are rectangles with rounded corners from front view. Apple is square from the side, samsungs have curves.

Nobody was paid off. Certainly not the judge...the jury was the one who found for Apple, not the judge. Regardless, it sounds like you're not very familiar with the subject matter of the lawsuit. It was a LOT more complex than comparing exterior cases.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Nobody was paid off. Certainly not the judge...the jury was the one who found for Apple, not the judge. Regardless, it sounds like you're not very familiar with the subject matter of the lawsuit. It was a LOT more complex than comparing exterior cases.

Whatever the courts were paid off. Judges determine what is admissible for the jury to hear. Lawsuit included DESIGN. Exterior case is part of the DESIGN.

There were also two design patents Samsung willfully violated (No. 667 and 305) and one unwillfully (No. 087), according to the verdict. Patents 667 and 087 cover the exterior of the iPhone. Somehow, Apple was able to patent and successfully defend a claim to phone that are rectangular with rounded edges and rounded backs. That's essentially the look of iPhones before the iPhone 4, as can be seen in the sketch from the patent below. The last patents the simple way icons are square-gridded out on an iPhone screen.

I thought it was the 4 apple was suing about, so my mistake, but the case design patents are one that just about every single phone besides the 4 violates. And again, apple is patenting something they did not invent. Grids of icons had been around for a few years already. Just a case of apple throwing its weight around and forcing the courts to listen to them and rule for them. Believe what you want if you think the courts are unable to be swayed by corporations like apple.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Whatever the courts were paid off. Judges determine what is admissible for the jury to hear. Lawsuit included DESIGN. Exterior case is part of the DESIGN.

If you have ANY evidence that corruption was involved, ANY WHATSOEVER, you should point at it. What you are describing is a very, very serious crime. It's one thing to call people idiots, but what you are alleging is a criminal conspiracy involving major felonies committed by both an Article III judge and a major corporation.

If you have any evidence of this, any whatsoever, you should point to it. Otherwise you're accusing people (including a federal judge) of committing felonies with nothing whatsoever to back you up. Which falls somewhere between "weaksauce" and "libel."

Believe what you want if you think the courts are unable to be swayed by corporations like apple.

This wasn't a big corporation versus a mom-and-pop shop. Apple and Samsung are both multinational tech giants. Saying that Apple won because it's a big corporation is kind of baffling.

eharris560

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
really, so all of you people support IP theft? Then PLEASE go to Android where you will be welcomed with open arms by thieves.

HTC aped Nokia's designs and they know it. The fact that Microsoft aided in this is a slap to the face of Nokia and their partnership. Nokia got married to MS and the OS and then MS turned around and got a whore to dress up as Nokia....plain and simple.
PREACH ON. If a company wants to use another company concepts. Ask and pay the fees they want.

ayejay0601

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
If Nokia sues HTC over the design, then Apple should sue Nokia, since Nokia lifted the design from the iPod. Then perhaps Jesus can sue apple, since Apple took the colors out of his color palette.

eharris560

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
What Nokia are you comparing the 8x to? The 8x has the high res screen so does the 920. The 820 is the one nokia is "supposedly" claiming was copied.

Unfounded??? Samsung had documentation stating that Apple design would be easy to copy. Also wasn't Samsung caught destroying evidence? Now
I see why Palm CEO refused to use the competitors phones.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
In the end it's probably going to be the new Firefox Mobile OS that wins. It does everything through the Firefox browser, and no other mobile OS does that. :D

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
WP7 was just as colorful as WP8 is. But LG, Dell, HTC, Samsung, etc...none of them went with brightly-colored polycarbonate cases for their WP7 phones. Nokia did with the Lumia 800 and Lumia 900, and suddenly everyone realized it looked fantastic when combined with the OS. It's only in retrospect that people say "it was so obvious that you should use brightly-colored polycarbonate with Windows Phone."

Nokia WAS an innovator here. Not worth suing over IMO, but they're the one that planted this design seed.

Nokia just took the already colored N9 and make the 800. Lets not act like it was made for the ground up with Windows Phone in mind because it wasn't. Nokia took a design they already had and made a WP version the same as every other oem. With the exception of LG.

Last edited:

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
If Nokia sues HTC over the design, then Apple should sue Nokia, since Nokia lifted the design from the iPod. Then perhaps Jesus can sue apple, since Apple took the colors out of his color palette.

And then Jews should sue Jesus for stealing the Old Testament. It'll be awesome. MOAR LAWSUITS 4 EVERYONE!!!!!!!111

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Nokia just took the already colored N9 and make the 800. Lets not act like it was made for the ground up with Windows Phone in mind because it wasn't. Nokia too a design they already had and made a WP version the same as every other oem. With the exception of LG.

That's not quite what I meant. I don't care whether Nokia first used the design for Symbian. They used it for years, but until they put it together with WP7 with the Lumia lineup and blew everyone's mind with the fantastic combination of hardware and software aethstic, nobody else was using it. Now HTC has gone against years and years of understated design and adopted something similar. Setting aside their argument of independent creation (inspired solely by WP8 itself), I think we all know there was a creative spark there that came from Nokia.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
lost credit at the end of the article where it has " [The news is based on the telephonic conversation we had with someone who works with a legal consultation and advisory firm.] " LOL

may as well have said "dude down the street told me"

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
If you notice the N9 color palette you notice that

1: There's not tiles the same color as the phones
2: With the exception of Cyan all the colors are pretty muted.

Then the 920 added bright colors that work with the corresponding tiles, HTC is doing the same thing, at pretty much the same thing.

The colors aren't even the same.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
If you notice the N9 color palette you notice that

1: There's not tiles the same color as the phones
2: With the exception of Cyan all the colors are pretty muted.

Then the 920 added bright colors that work with the corresponding tiles, HTC is doing the same thing, at pretty much the same thing.

The colors aren't even the same.

The fuschia Lumia 800 with fuschia tiles would like to have a word. So would these:

Nokia Lumia 800 + green bumper | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Nokia Lumia 800 + blue bumper | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
this makes no sens,

HTC copied the 820`s design with out seeing it?

Ok so HTC saw the 820 a phew weeks before we saw it and managed to design an ENTIRE PHONE ( the HTX 8X ) in 1-2 weeks?

Not to mention the ONLY thing that looks like the NOKIA phone on HTC is the fact that the phone has colours on it... shape is different , Visual layout is different button layout is different.

and im pretty sure the HTC is not made of carbon Fiber ( but i might be wrong)

yeah... good luck , next thing you know . Nokia gets sued by Thomas Wilfred`s people for using the word LUMIA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb