No 7" Nook RT tablet could Nokia save us

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I am waiting for a 7 or 8 inch tablet that is an ereader and a gps device. It would be nice if nokia made one.

Nokia drive and it's location services in a larger format would be awesome.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
WinRT, in its current state would likely blow on a 7" screen. Getting slammed into desktop mode on that tiny screen when trying to use Office would not be cool. Not cool at all. Maybe when a final version of office comes out... but not how it currently is.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget about Barnes and Noble. I expect to see a 7" EReader running W8RT (or some variant) before the Holiday season.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
WinRT, in its current state would likely blow on a 7" screen. Getting slammed into desktop mode on that tiny screen when trying to use Office would not be cool. Not cool at all. Maybe when a final version of office comes out... but not how it currently is.

You know, I didn't really think it that way. Some reports say is already cumbersome to use, it will border in unusuable in that form sadly.

Doesn't Microsoft have a Full feature Metro version of Office? or is it watered down?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

I agree completely. I think a 7" 1280x768 tablet running a modded version of WP8 would be fantastic, though.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget about Barnes and Noble. I expect to see a 7" EReader running W8RT (or some variant) before the Holiday season.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Nook is the Barnes and Noble tablet line... They stuck with Android for this year's models.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I think a 7" WinRT tablet would be awesome if priced at $199. Of course, it shouldn't be marketed as a full on productivity machine, in tech-parlance I'd refer to it as a "consumption plus" device whereby you get everything in it that a Nexus 7 offers, but more... e.g. the capacity to work on office documents, use the device at work, etc (just like Windows Phone).

Honestly though... I'm not 100% convinced that the Nook RT route would be worth it. I'd prefer a 7" device to be a Microsoft product and in line with the Surface branding. The reason is simple, Surface is en route to being a recognized brand, i.e. leading class, quality and slick.

For a 'consumption plus' device I'd offer a 7" Surface RT which strongly emphasizes the Xbox branding in music, videos and games. This is something people should look at as an awesome companion device for their Xbox, PC and phones, i.e. something you can't live without.

You may not even need the touch-cover, it might be more prudent in fact to make RT compatible with digital ink and pair "Surface 7" with a stylus.

Last edited:

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Windows 8/RT will be 7" tablet ready until the desktop is dead. As others have expressed, the desktop experience on a 7" tablet would be terrible, and in Windows 8/RT there are still things you have to go to the desktop to do (i.e. no metro control panel or file management system). Today, Windows Phone 8 is a better 7" choice than Windows RT. Also, in my experience on rooted Nooks and a Galaxy Tab 2 7", phone apps scale up to 7" tablets better than apps designed for a 10" screen scale down to 7". For example, in a multi-paned email client, if you have 3 panes (mailboxes, mail in selected box, selected message) the info becomes too small to be usable on a 7" tablet. Playing two player Fruit Ninja on a 7" tablet would be terrible.

I love 7" tablets, but they are really better with a phone OS than a desktop OS IMO.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
One reason I can see that Windows RT/Windows 8 won't make a good e-reader (especially at 7")... it is designed for landscape. It just doesn't make sense for something like a Kindle or Nook to be in a landscape layout IMO.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
$199 bookstore tablets (Kindle and Nook) are sold at a loss with the idea that they're all about the media--books, music, etc--and the entire interface needs to be built around consuming the media and encouraging the user to buy more. The skinned versions of Android that the Kindle and Nook use do just that. You can't skin Windows RT, and in its stock form, it's just not well-set-up to feature all the books and music you've bought from B&N or Amazon. There'd just be one tile for books and another for music.

Also, selling a $199 Windows RT device would undercut the rest of Windows RT devices, which supposedly will sell for about $400. Look at how $199 Android tablets destroyed the market for $400-$500 Android tablets. Microsoft doesn't want to kill Surface sales, and OEM's Windows RT tablet sales, by selling a $199 Windows RT tablet through Barnes and Noble.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Getting slammed into desktop mode on that tiny screen when trying to use Office would not be cool.

A 7-8" device is not for productivity, and anyone that would even bother to try is on crack. Seriously, Excel on something that small?

An RT device, where you lived in Metro would be just dandy in that size. I seriously want one. I want one badly. Put an IR Blaster in it, and I'd be over the moon.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
You know, I didn't really think it that way. Some reports say is already cumbersome to use, it will border in unusuable in that form sadly.

Doesn't Microsoft have a Full feature Metro version of Office? or is it watered down?

WinRT will just launch with 2013 preview.. My hope is the final version will be more 'metro' and will work better with touch or maybe not even be in the desktop... or have a toggle...

A 7-8" device is not for productivity, and anyone that would even bother to try is on crack. Seriously, Excel on something that small?

An RT device, where you lived in Metro would be just dandy in that size. I seriously want one. I want one badly. Put an IR Blaster in it, and I'd be over the moon.

Though I agree with you, people are still going to get documents emailed to them and they will still get slammed into crappy desktop mode. People still might want to make a small edit or two to a document and send it back.. which is what people do now on a 4" phone.... Give me a 7" RT tablet that is running Windows Phone 8 office and I'm all in baby.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
What I need

I need a new GPS, a portable ebook reader and a portable web browser wifi device. Tmobile allows you to use wifi calling with some devices. Now if I could have nokia drive on a good 7 to 8 inch device I would be happy as the rest should fall into place. If it had 3g I would even use it as a phone, with a blue tooth head set, as a phone is on the bottom of my important list.

I will probably get a surface to replace my aging hot and slow Lenovo S10-2 for use around the house.

Do you think a surface will be too big for my truck. Now if surface gets some form of Nokia drive I will just "suffer " with the larger device.

...........calfee

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon