Anyone Going to Hold Out for 2nd Gen Devices?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm just waiting for a 5" or greater WP8. I may be waiting a while sadly.

J9wqg.gif

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to hold out for the Gen 2 devices, but right before I get one, I'm gonna see what the rumors are about the Gen 3 devices, so I may hold out for those, but by that time I will probably just get a Gen 4 device....

captainkirkw

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I might as I am hoping for something with a larger screen, something like the Galaxy Note. A phone like that would serve me well so that I would not have to carry a phone and a tablet or notebook. I know that size is not for everyone but I am hopeful that there will be a W8 phone of that size.

slpaige

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I'll be waiting for whatever is comming out next year when my upgrade eligibility is ready. I didn't pick up my current phone until last November, so I have awhile to wait.

chrgeorgeson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
newer versions will always keep coming. I don't see any gen 2 devices until at least summer 2013.
I agree. I've had friends and colleagues who were (mostly cheap) and always held out another generation for upgrading their PC's. I understood on doing that if you didn't need one but one guy absolutely needed a computer and just said "Man those core 2 duo's will be out next year I can hold on to my P4 (First Gen).
Cracks me up. I get that feeling though, I'm carrying around a Lumia 900 and I'm going to be upgrading to a 920 after just a few short months.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No matter when you buy your phone, there will be something cooler out in 6-12 months. No way around that. So I'm upgrading as soon as I'm due for an upgrade (March 2013).

I feel as though AT&T should offer an early upgrade for any Lumia 900 owner for $150 to get a 920. We should be forced to wait another 12 months. This would be an excellent goodwill gesture.

SlickShoesRUCrazy

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Was thinking about just waiting to see what comes to fruit in regards to the surface phone.

but probably will just go with the 920. I might even just hold off from the 920 till december just to see if anyting happens or just to get it cheaper around black friday. my brother isn't expecting my 900 until december anyways haha.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I feel as though AT&T should offer an early upgrade for any Lumia 900 owner for $150 to get a 920. We should be forced to wait another 12 months. This would be an excellent goodwill gesture.

I paid $99 for my phone and THEN got that $99 reimbursed by Nokia, even though I haven't had a single problem with it. So I got the BEST phone I've ever owned for FREE. I'm more than satisfied. :cool:

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I paid $99 for my phone and THEN got that $99 reimbursed by Nokia, even though I haven't had a single problem with it. So I got the BEST phone I've ever owned for FREE. I'm more than satisfied. :cool:

Me too, I got my L900 for free and no problems. But I think it's in Nokia's interest to get everyone on Windows Phone 8 for obvious reasons.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been eligible for an upgrade since July 2011 and have had the TP2 and Arrive since then. I'm probably going to go Note2 when Sprint releases it and by the time I come up for an upgrade again, there will probably be WP10 devices out there with quad cores and large screens. Then I'll decide whether to come back. I'll wait and watch from the outside while Sprint decides what they want to do over the next couple years.

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
There is no way I'm waiting. I won't even wait a month after whatever Verizon gets out first. I need a new phone asap, my Trophy is driving me nuts. Terribly slow camera, daily bouts of lagginess and random resetting of apps to their newly installed state. I can't tell you how many times I've had to redo the locations in my weather apps. I'm ready for a new device.

My contract isn't up til next year, so I'll be paying full price for this one and will then take a look at what's available next year too.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I cancelled my pre-order from Best Buy. I'm gonna do the 7.8 to my Quantum and hold out into next year a ways and see what happens with the phones and the whole eco system. There are things I don't really like about where it's heading, but, keeping my mind open at all times.

Going to be really hard to not buy a W8 tablet/convertable though, thinking the HP Envy x2.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Technology will keep improving. Chances are when the next gen of devices comes out, there will be better things on the horizon. So no, I will not hold out for the next gen, but I will wait a few months until prices drop on the 920.

LiveTail

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Here's my problem...

I'm due for a hardware upgrade, but the more time that has passed since the handsets were introduced, the less excited I'm getting to upgrade.

I might just grab the 7.8 update and hold out for 2nd gen devices. We all saw what happened with the Mango handsets (Titan/Titan II).

It feels more and more to me like HTC hasn't shown their high end phone yet and there is a rumor out there that Microsoft will be releasing their own 'Surface Phone' in early 2013.

Microsoft working on its own Windows Phone 8 smartphone? | Mobile content industry news | Mobile Entertainment

For those two reasons alone, I'm more inclined to wait it out a bit.

Anyone else feeling the same way, or is it just me???
I totally understand you. For me, the 1st gen devices are too big, too heavy and not really sexy. I bet my money on a slim and sexy magnesium surface phone in summer 2013.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I'm done watching this train wreck of a launch for another year. I held off buying anything for the last 6 months hoping Microsoft and it's partners could get off to a good start. I guess I was wrong...

bsmerl

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
It makes financial sense to upgrade if you're with a major US carrier.

The phone subsidy is built into the monthly rates. But even if you don't subsidize a phone, you still pay the subsidized rates.

So when you don't upgrade, you're just basically paying extra money without receiving any benefit.
I'm not in total agreement with your statement. I have an old contract with ATT and am paying $70/month (tax included) for 450 minutes and unlimmited text/data.

If I sign new contract I would be paying $90+ a month for 2gb of data. I bought my titan for $350(new) when it was being offered by ATT for $199 with a new contract. With that said, I saved $20+/month and only paid $150 more for the phone(Unlocked/Unbranded).

Before my Titan, I bought my Tilt2 for the same price as ATT was asking for a new contract.

I tried Staright talk for $55/month and did not get the same quality of data or MMS with it so it was not worth it for me.

Staying with a carrier and buying your phone outright has some nice advantages over signing a new contract...for some people and some circumstances.

Last edited:

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Given how 7.5 devices are not upgradeable to 8, MS should really consider working with carriers to provide early upgrades. Something tells me sales are going to be soft if they don't create an incentive for more current WP users to upgrade. I plan on waiting until the summer because my upgrade isn't available until then and none of the new devices seem worth buying at full price. If I could get one subsidized, however, I'd pull the trigger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire