Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By crystal_planet
  • 1 Post By power5

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    So today we get news from wpcentral that MS is working on a phone. In the story, Daniel writes: "The only thing we do know is when compared to current WP8 hardware its something unique"

Could MSoft be making an XBOX phone? Something like the phone Sony made for playstation? Or perhaps they want to integrate Kinect technology somehow into the phone?

I hope it is something unique like that, otherwise, I am not sure how MS can do this without undermining Nokia.
    Why is everyone so buttloved to Nokia? It's called business. How about we start talking smack about Nokia for laying off 13,000. At least that has common man merit.

Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by independentvolume View Post
    Why is everyone so buttloved to Nokia? It's called business. How about we start talking smack about Nokia for laying off 13,000. At least that has common man merit.

Actually your right, why not? Lets start a topic on that .

And what is the Xbox phone going to do? Play the same games from the market place or is it going to have some annoying format like umd ( psp )?

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I can't speak for everyone, but for myself the reason I express concern about Nokia is that Windows Phone needs Nokia to do well! If Nokia--the largest WP8 OEM--fails, then Windows Phone fails.

I am not concerned only about Nokia, but about MS alienating OEMs of which Nokia is the most important.
    At the end of the day, it's just another windows phone made by another manufacturer. The manufacturer just happens to be Microsoft.
    The Start screen arrow must DIE!

Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts
    Stupid idea.

It would never fit in my pocket.
    My next phone...
    snowmutt likes this.

xPhone?

Posted from My Mobile App
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    Would be nice if it looks like the pictures on wpc.

WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts

This is certainly unique and different from any of the announced WP8 devices, though I wonder what kind of support there will be for the components apart from the keyboard. I'd be pretty happy if Microsoft just made sliders, clearly isn't viable enough for the other companies to push but I'd like the form factor differentiation.

And something that bothers me: the "Surface Phone" renders have the three front-face buttons way too close together. It just looks wrong.

Global Posts
    1,123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyj View Post
    If Nokia--the largest WP8 OEM--fails, then Windows Phone fails.
    Microsoft's got $86 billion cash. Windows Phones could fail a dozen times and have nothing to worry about. As a matter of fact, it probably already has.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    Click to view quoted image

This is certainly unique and different from any of the announced WP8 devices, though I wonder what kind of support there will be for the components apart from the keyboard. I'd be pretty happy if Microsoft just made sliders, clearly isn't viable enough for the other companies to push but I'd like the form factor differentiation.
    That concept sketch looks thick and gimmicky. "Dislike".

On the other hand, that little drawer could be great for storing eyeshadow palette or face powder.

or zune + xbox phone

I used to hope for a Zune phone, but that name is going away. Xbox I could see.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,477 Global Posts

And something that bothers me: the "Surface Phone" renders have the three front-face buttons way too close together. It just looks wrong.
    PLEASE BRING THAT PHONE TO FRUITION! I would love that particular phone, if it was well made.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    ? WP7/WP8 is already the xbox phone... wp7 was originally going to be called the xbox phone BUT it sounded horrid.

Global Posts
    1,591 Global Posts
    Still does sound horrid.
    Villain likes this.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal_planet View Post
    Stupid idea.

It would never fit in my pocket.
    I laughed too hard at this.

Dumb idea like the playstation phone.

Who would write an Xbox phone game, when they could write a wp8 game and sell more?

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Too many opportunities for failure with this design... Think about it. Connections wearing out, parts getting dinged, etc. looks good on paper, becomes a nightmare in production!

Plus, aren't you all concerned an MS phone would end up like an iPhone??? Over done and boring a few years into production? We need the forward thinking and development of Nokia, HTC and others to keep the physical aspects fresh! Having multiple OEMs gives us, the WP8 users, that opportunity. Something Apple never has done, or will do!

Just my .02!

Plus, who wants to carry 15 parts to customize their phone? We need an experience all in one. No one wants to have to build their phone "on the fly."

Global Posts
    461 Global Posts
    If MS learned anything from Sony's attenpts at a gaming phone with the xperia play they should know that the market does not want to carry around a thick and heavy phone with a cheap SNES style gamepad built into it. Not to mention the fact that a gaming phone must have the capability to play games more graphically advanced than what's currently available on ANY platform to have a chance at success.

Unless they are ready to launch almost full versions of FIFA, CoD and Halo, it will fail.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,477 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aniym View Post
    If MS learned anything from Sony's attenpts at a gaming phone with the xperia play they should know that the market does not want to carry around a thick and heavy phone with a cheap SNES style gamepad built into it. Not to mention the fact that a gaming phone must have the capability to play games more graphically advanced than what's currently available on ANY platform to have a chance at success.

Unless they are ready to launch almost full versions of FIFA, CoD and Halo, it will fail.
    Remember the Nokia NGage? Great build quality, but holy damn the phone was bad... I owned one... Was meant to be a phone and handheld console all in one. Result: It sucked at both.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Did the playstation phone play anything other than what was available on the android market place?

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express