Will you switch to AT&T for the 920?

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
In a WPCentral poll a few weeks ago, a large majority of users said that they would go with the 920 when it came out.

This poll took the question of whether or not your current provider would carry the 920 out of the equation.

Now that it looks like the 920 will be EXCLUSIVE to AT&T, does that change your answer?

Will you be willing to switch carriers to AT&T to get the 920 or will you stick with your current provider and get the next best thing?

I voted for the 920 in the poll, but I'm currently with t-mobile and will NOT be switching to AT&T to get the 920.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Sprint and my contract is up the 11th of this month. I was leaving regardless of who got what. Although my preference was to go to Verizon, I wasn't locked into it. I still think I will look at all the phones in person before making my choice. But I will admit I do want the 920 and that will be a factor.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Wouldnt a poll be appropriate? And I already switched from Tmo for the 900, would definitely switch for the 920.

Also isnt it strange, after the 8X reveal almost everyone was saying Nokia was overrated and they didnt really bring anything to WP, now all this uproar over being exclusive to one carrier. Why arent more happy to stick with the "superior" 8x? :dry

Last edited:

hgary06

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Sprint and my contract is up the 11th of this month. I was leaving regardless of who got what. Although my preference was to go to Verizon, I wasn't locked into it. I still think I will look at all the phones in person before making my choice. But I will admit I do want the 920 and that will be a factor.
I'm sure stuff like talk and web at the same time, and GSM network are the main factors for ATT exclusive. Probably also a lot of subsidy from ATT. They really really want to decrease their reveune sharing payments to Apple.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
**** no... I would sooner just shell out the cash for an unlocked 920 or 820 (that's assuming the 820 is indeed exclusive to AT&T and never reaches T-Mobile), even though I can't really afford that. I have it good in my plan with T-Mobile, was only paying $41 per month until I lost my phone in January 2011 and had to get a data plan with my new phone. I would never switch to those thieves AT&T. I was almost jumping for joy when their proposed merger with T-Mobile was shot down in flames.

marantaz

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
NO.
I've got three lines on Verizon for family, and my son has Verizon for his iPhone. Only one of my lines is available for upgrade, so switching isn't an option. It's all about upgrade discounts and HTC trade up rebates now. The only way I switch is if Verizon offers me nothing, or the two don't allow me to take advantage of what both offer. Either way, I'm going to end up paying more for the data plan, so savings up front is important.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
No way I'll switrch from VZW to AT&T just to get the Nokia 920. I'll be disappointed by VZW if they don't carry it, but there's no sense in having a Smartphone on a dumb network!:cool:

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
No, I will not switch to AT&T just to get the 920. We have 4 lines on a family share plan plus a 21% discount with Verizon. Looks like I'll be switching to the 8X though, unless Nokia unveils a Verizon specific model.

paulsnyder90

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely not. I was on Verizon and very looking forward to switching to this phone from my iPhone 4.

Someone is messing up big time right now.

KLinCHI

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm not switching only because of my grandfathered plan, unless T-Mobile forces everyone off their grandfathered plan, at which point, it'll be a toss-up. I'm disappointed, but I'm not one to jump carriers for a phone.

If this exclusivity holds, then I'm sticking to my 710 and see what the Surface and 2nd gen WP8 phones bring.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
As much as I want the 920, and I'm really geeking out over it, I am on a 17% employee discount. I would be stupid to switch from Verizon.

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer:
Verizon has dropped their grandfathering of unlimited data plans, so I have less reason to stay. We have 4 family devices, but I might just get a solo plan on AT&T for a 920.

Regardless, my line isn't end-of-contract until Feb., so hopefully there is a Verizon 920 by then.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Why would I go through the trouble, credit inquiry, delay of phone line porting, and double my bill to switch for a phone?!?

This strategy was a DISMAL failure for Nokia with the 900. Why would it be any different for the 920?

Perhaps Nokia has just decided not to invest in the US market in a serious way, and go after the global market. Who knows?

HTC will be happy. They'll have the high end all to themselves on Verizon and T-Mobile.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Is like Nokia wants to fail in the US market. I mean I understand the 920 having Cyan exclusive to AT&T and heck even having the entire 920 line on AT&T, but the 820 also?

WTF, what about T-mobile? They treat the Lumia 710 pretty well considering it was vastly bellow their other phones, they still push in as a hero devices.

Their strategy of being on even less carriers than before is crazy.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Already on AT&T (I've been on every major carrier in the past 4 years) and I like them so I will stick with them. Don't know if I'll get the 920 or the 8X though. I'm leaning 8X at the moment, but reviews and hands on could easily sway me one way or the other.

I think this is a really bone headed move by Nokia. Verizon is bigger. Verizon MADE Android what it is today. This better only be a timed exclusive, and it better be a short time. I do think it is clear now why the 8X and 8S got the signature title and not the Lumia line. Microsoft doesn't want their title phones to be carrier exclusive and HTC alread said Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile will all get the 8X.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Already on AT&T (I've been on every major carrier in the past 4 years) and I like them so I will stick with them. Don't know if I'll get the 920 or the 8X though. I'm leaning 8X at the moment, but reviews and hands on could easily sway me one way or the other.

I think this is a really bone headed move by Nokia. Verizon is bigger. Verizon MADE Android what it is today. This better only be a timed exclusive, and it better be a short time. I do think it is clear now why the 8X and 8S got the signature title and not the Lumia line. Microsoft doesn't want their title phones to be carrier exclusive and HTC alread said Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile will all get the 8X.

to make looks like a week exclusive at most. I'm sure AT&T will understand that they want Wp to be third so they will make the exclusive short. I think they will rather sacrifice their long exclusive for more sales and market share in the future. because if verizon gets the 920 a week later and advertise it then wp gets more market share and more market share means more sales. and if AT&T gets a flagship device in the future with wp market share high then they will have more sales on that device. It looks like this outcome

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I will not switch because I just do not like At&t. My contract isn't up until May and I am confident that the 922 and 822 will be there. Don't forget that Nokia and Verizon have already stated that Nokia will be on Verizon.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion