Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Mystictrust
  • 2 Post By brmiller1976

The global website for each of these phones now shows pentaband WCDMA, including T-Mobile USA's Band IV (1700). Curiously, also shows all 9 LTE bands (IIRC, that doesn't mean it'll work on every carrier's LTE, because I think there are multiple channels within each band)

Couple that with the Lumia 820 page removing the "exclusive" wording next to AT&T, and there's a possibility that the 820 could come to T-Mobile and Verizon, and the 920 "international" edition will have to be purchased to get around AT&T.

Assuming that Nokia didn't somehow make a mistake when they updated these pages.
    Nokia Lumia 820 Specifications - Nokia
    Nokia Lumia 920 Specifications - Nokia
    T-Mobile utilizes a GSM network.

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by freestaterocker View Post
    T-Mobile utilizes a GSM network.
    +1
    CDMA is for verizon/sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by ryude View Post
    +1
    CDMA is for verizon/sprint.
    Isn't W-CDMa same as UMTS or AWS. Look here: UMTS frequency bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The article says Band IV - W-CDMA is used by T-mobile USA, Wind Canada etc.

I'm heavily bent on that 920 will work on T-mobile

Yes WCDMA 1700 is the proper name for the AWS frequency that T-Mo, Wind, Moblicity etc use.

This is the best news of the day and I really hope it turns out to be true! :D

Global Posts
    2,287 Global Posts
    Someone pointed out in another thread yesterday that they removed "exclusive" from the 820's page. This in addition makes me feel even more confident that the 820 at least will get to T-Mobile. :D

Oh, and by the way, the US Nokia website is showing the same things the global one is. Whoot!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,523 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchick719 View Post
    Someone pointed out in another thread yesterday that they removed "exclusive" from the 820's page. This in addition makes me feel even more confident that the 820 at least will get to T-Mobile. :D

Oh, and by the way, the US Nokia website is showing the same things the global one is. Whoot!
    I didn't see that post, but it may not be the U.S site, but rather the global site. I am guessing.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

hmm the US site isn't listing the 1700 and the Canadian site is only listing two bands (LTE 700 and 1900). I'm wondering if they are hiding particular bands due to exclusivity deals, and they don't want people going around unlocking phones.

Quote Originally Posted by squire777 View Post
    hmm the US site isn't listing the 1700 and the Canadian site is only listing two bands (LTE 700 and 1900). I'm wondering if they are hiding particular bands due to exclusivity deals, and they don't want people going around unlocking phones.
    yea I think so too that they are hiding it because of exclusivity deals. Odd thing about Canadian page is that it shows LTE 700 and 1900 only while these LTE frequencies are not used at all in Canada.

Also it seems that 1700 WCDMA is only used in USA, Canada and Japan. I wonder what Nokia is holding back?

Global Posts
    2,287 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squire777 View Post
    Really? Because it's showing for me. Call me a geek or whatnot, but I've had the Nokia US site open on a tab on Firefox on my computer for the past few days. I checked it earlier after reading this thread and see LTE 1700 showing for both the 820 and the 920. I even refreshed it and it's still showing up for me.

Global Posts
    2,287 Global Posts
    My bad... Am I confusing the frequencies, because I see LTE 1700 but nothing else on the US Nokia site that says 1700. Sorry for any confusion.
    Well, if T-Mobile gets a magenta version it will silent the critics a bit on exclusivity.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    WCDMA is not CDMA. (Confusing as heck, I know).

WCDMA is GSM 3G HSDPA, HSPA and HSPA+. In the USA, T-Mobile 4G is WCDMA HSPA+.

If this spec sheet is accurate, the Lumia 820 will run at full HSPA+42 speed on T-Mobile's network.
    Thanked by:
    palandri and metalchick719 like this.

The 820 is the phone that will be on all the carriers.

I would bet that VZN will get a different flavor of the 920 to go along with their 822

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    If Verizon gets the 820, it will be a different model than the one outlined above (since CDMA2000 isn't listed).

Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    If Verizon gets the 820, it will be a different model than the one outlined above (since CDMA2000 isn't listed).
    It'll be called the 822.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get a 922...

<cough>

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    nokia phone with T-mo bands pass fcc. Could be 820.

HTC 8X and Nokia RM-878 pass through FCC | WMPoweruser

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by exsanguine View Post
    It'll be called the 822.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get a 922...

<cough>
    I guess that could be one way to spin an "exclusive."

"AT&T exclusively gets the 920. Verizon exclusively gets the 922." :D