920 variant coming to Verizon?

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys recently Nokia announced the lumia 810. Which is 820 variant. And is exclusive to t-mobile. Could a lumia 920 variant (922 or 910) phone come exlusively to Verizon. Which will have the same specs and features like pureview and have a different design? Also would you be happy about it?

Last edited:

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Seeing as how a third of all posts here are how awful Nokia is for signing an exclusive with AT&T, I'd say a few people would be happy with a 920 on VZW.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I would love to see a variant of the 920 come to Verizon. Waiting these last few weeks before WP8 is released is going to be painful.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Seeing as how a third of all posts here are how awful Nokia is for signing an exclusive with AT&T, I'd say a few people would be happy with a 920 on VZW.

But the good thing about variants is that. You can create a phone with the same specs as the main phone and have it advertised exclusively. That is what Nokia is doing, releasing a 920varoant make it exclusive to Verizon and they will advertise it. If it wasn't exclusive to a&t. At&t nor Verizon will advertise it. They had to make it exclusive and make a 920 variant. To make it work

rollo132

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I really like the design of the 920, so I'd be a little disappointed to see VZW get a 9xx with a different body. But as long as the specs remain more or less the same, I'd just be nitpicking. Overall, I'd be stoked to see something like this happen!

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I really like the design of the 920, so I'd be a little disappointed to see VZW get a 9xx with a different body. But as long as the specs remain more or less the same, I'd just be nitpicking. Overall, I'd be stoked to see something like this happen!

Well if it has the 920 back and a 810 back cover. Then your fine. So it's basically a 920 with removable back covers with different colors like the 820

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
It seems pretty ridiculous to me that to make the carriers happy you just have to make essentially the same phone with a slightly different name so they can call it an exclusive. But hey, if that's what you have to do to play ball then I say do whatever works.

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I really like the 920 design. If they do a variant on the 920 and only change the design, I'd be unhappy. I really like the clean lines and slim back. But, if I got all the features of the 920 and had to compromise on the design, I'd be ok with that, since I refuse to go with AT&T. It's more a question of function versus design.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
It seems pretty ridiculous to me that to make the carriers happy you just have to make essentially the same phone with a slightly different name so they can call it an exclusive. But hey, if that's what you have to do to play ball then I say do whatever works.

Samsung did that with their Galaxy lines before they got big enough. Unless people are clamoring the phone, the manufacturers are at the carriers mercy.

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
They screwed up the decent looks of the Lumias with the 822. I'm afraid as to what the Verizon 920/922 is going to look like after seeing the monstrosity the 822 is.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping Verizon will get a version of the 920 but if they do, it won't be for a while. AT&T paid Nokia money so they could have the 920 to themselves. Until that time runs out.. (30 days... 90 days?) I don't see how you will see a 92x on Verizon.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping Verizon will get a version of the 920 but if they do, it won't be for a while. AT&T paid Nokia money so they could have the 920 to themselves. Until that time runs out.. (30 days... 90 days?) I don't see how you will see a 92x on Verizon.

well it's Fine for Verizon since they have the Ativ S and 8X and 822 and maybe the 8S. and a 92x would be fine for them

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
AT&T paid Nokia money so they could have the 920 to themselves. Until that time runs out.. (30 days... 90 days?) I don't see how you will see a 92x on Verizon.
It all depends how the deal was done. If AT&T signed an exclusive deal that states all components as a whole that makes up the 920, and not specific components, then we can see a variant of the 920 with different specs go to Verizon. Or the deal could be for specific components, like the screen and camera. Those two components is what people are clamoring about and that is what I fear AT&T signed the exclusive deal for, which is a downer because that is what I want on Verizon, and I'm sure they do too.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I highly doubt that verizon or any other carrier in the U.S. will be getting any variant of the 920. If the phone finds success with AT&T then it may appear after their exclusivity agreement is up. I think the 820 will be the only phone getting the variant treatment and I feel that they got permission from AT&T to even do that much. I am pretty confident that the exclusivity agreement with AT&T covers more then just the model number and includes mentions of specific hardware contained within the device along with the external design. So If a variant does show up I can see atleast two things missing from these variants, Pureview and the asthetic design will be different including the curved glass/screen missing. These are the top features of this device. I won't include QI because it is allready announced with the 810 and a feature like this needs to be on as many devices as possible to be sucessful due to 3rd party support being needed.

With that said, I find it more likely for Nokia to wait out their exclusivity agreement so that they can bring the Pureview lens to other carriers instead of waiting another launch cycle to bring the feature to a new line of phones. If the 920 is a success then that would have AT&T push for another exclusivity agreement and possibly keep the Pureview lens off of the market for another cycle. I doubt that Nokia would want that because it only gives other phone manufacturers more incentive and time to come up with their own solution to Pureview along with limiting the potential gain in marketshare from a sought after device.
Right now they have an expensive device that needs to recoup R&D costs and an exclusivity will bring in a bit of a safety net incase the phone does not sell as well as it needs. The extra money brought in from exclusivity helps offset the deficit and once it's gotten off the ground and other carriers come to them they can make the rules. If the phone goes to other carriers after their exclusivity agreement is up and flops then they can just bounce back to AT&T for another handout.

With that said, the most likely solution will be that if the 920 is successful, to bring the 920 directly to other carriers after their exclusivity agreement is up. If it finds the same success then I find it likely that AT&T wont get anymore exclusivity agreements with them. They will be able to push out new phones with out the need of a safety net of an exclusivity agreement. You have to remember all the trouble Nokia has had with gaining a foothold in the smartphone department which would make them more cautious.

Don't forget about how stupid Verizon gets when it comes to making deals with carrying new devices. They shoot themselves in the foot too much because of that crap. Remember all the ruckus about the iPhone when they were carrier hunting? how about android, they did the same thing with android phones and now they act like they've been best buds with google since day one. They take a wait and see approach to things when it comes to dishing out more dough.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism