another hint for verizon 9XX

ColeHarris

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
so, the following is now available on the FCC website (you can link to it easily through the phonescoop link New FCC Approvals (Phone Scoop))

If you notice,
the Nokia 920 internal model name is RM-820
the Nokia 820 internal model name is RM-824
the Nokia 810 internal model name is RM-878
So that leaves...RM-845 and RM-821 on the phonescoop site as not yet identified...

Looking at the end on profile of the phone and location of FCC label for the RM-821 it looks extremely similar to the Nokia 920, but is clearly a different phone, somehow. It has different test frequencies - now i dont know enough about the different bands etc. so perhaps someone else can comment on what the frequencies mean?

The confidentiality ends on 12/18/2012, which ties into some of the info in the above posts.
I will say though that the confidentiality ends on 1/13/2013 for the Nokia 920...

The RM-845 is a rounded phone in line with the 820/810 and may be the rumored Nokia 822 for Verizon.
So what do y'all think?

The RM-821 appears to be GSM so it couldn't be headed to Verizon, however the RM-845 appears to support CDMA so I'm assuming that would be the 822 for Verizon.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
With the recent news that AT&T has a six month exclusive deal, it more or less puts the rumors of a Verizon variant to rest.

However, let's say the rumors are correct and a Verizon variant will hit on Nov/Dec. Do you think the phone will be greater or lesser than the 920? It can't be equal because that would go against the contract, correct? It can't be greater, then why would AT&T sign a six month deal and be stuck with a lesser spec'd phone. That leaves us with just one option... an inferior phone and to me that means no Pureview camera technology. It will have everything else, and maybe microSD slot, but that's it.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
With the recent news that AT&T has a six month exclusive deal, it more or less puts the rumors of a Verizon variant to rest.

However, let's say the rumors are correct and a Verizon variant will hit on Nov/Dec. Do you think the phone will be greater or lesser than the 920? It can't be equal because that would go against the contract, correct? It can't be greater, then why would AT&T sign a six month deal and be stuck with a lesser spec'd phone. That leaves us with just one option... an inferior phone and to me that means no Pureview camera technology. It will have everything else, and maybe microSD slot, but that's it.

I'm pretty sure that on those same videos it also reads that Lumia 820 is exclusive to AT&T in USA. Spec wise Lumia 820 variants are the same, even if Lumia 820 imo looks easily the best of them.
Question then is that would Nokia really make different looking device for Verizon? That design isn't as modular as Lumia 820 is. Like you said also adding features on top of Lumia 920 makes little sense. Why make better phone for one operator inside one country.

Would be interesting to actually see what the AT&T video says about Lumia 820.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Depends on if and what level AT&T contracted to have the specs of the 920 as an exclusive as far as equality goes. I don't see why it can't be greater. Again it depends on the terms and what level of exclusivity AT&T wants. But for all we know Verizon's variant could be, unless I'm mistaken, as Mr. MacPhisto said where it's a lower screen sized phone but with a higher end megapixel camera.

Also, we still don't know what extent Nokia wishes to push the umbrella of Pureview. They could still have some cards left to play. **** maybe they got their tech for water resistant coatings to work and this is their moment to debut it. There possibly there's some other unknown tech they've been working on which they'll apply to this phone or for some on here, ultra thin, as well

I see your point about inferior though, and the pragmatist in me sides with you on that a bit more. If anything we know it's gotta be a bit more of a step up on the 822.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It's entirely possible that Nokia has an entirely different phone. There are only a few differences between the 822's leaked specs and the 920. I could see them pushing an 822 with a 4.5" 1280x768 screen. The only thing then truely missing would be the Pureview camera and likely that awesome design. I doubt Verizon will get a 2nd phone for launch time though.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Mr. MacPhisto?

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

Still hearing there's something there with the Pureview Camera, OIS, NFC, and wireless charging. Though lots of balls are in the air right now. Verizon may not got a high end Nokia before the year is out. The six month exclusive was not what was originally planned, that much I know. Just a guess, but AT&T has gauged interest and thrown money at Nokia.

Verizon is working on getting the high end Nokia with OIS, better Pureview sensor, NFC, etc and quadcore as an exclusive to trump AT&T, but that's after first of the year. Though even that is not certain.

There has been talk not of Verizon dumping WP8, but of VZW dumping Nokia entirely after them promising Verizon they could have the high end phone and then reneging. Some in VZW management do want to take it out on Microsoft for allowing this in the first place.

My contact says VZW was surprised to hear about the six month exclusive and even more surprised when Nokia confirmed it to them. They got blindsided by it after being told they'd get a version of the 920 - and Nokia had even made one.

So anything resembling a 920 is out for now and Nokia may be out as well. And Verizon's interest in Windows Phone after working towards it for two years may be diminished.

Microsoft screwed this up in a big way by even letting Nokia get away with this. Just a rumor inside VZW that Verizon's CEO contacted Ballmer and demanded Microsoft cut off Nokia after the first gen of WP8 devices or Verizon would not promote WP8 and may not carry it.

There are other festering issues with delays on the devices that will allow AT&T to get them first - and they don't buy the CDMA "issues" garbage.

The instruction to corporate sales did change due to this, encouraging them to push Motorola Android devices. They had planned to push WP8 devices to business users and encourage WP8 through discounts for companies that do BYOD. Unless Microsoft does something, Verizon may go actively against Windows Phone and throw Blackberry a lifeline when B10 goes live as an alternative.

Verizon has the attitude that Nokia and MS need them far more than they need either of them. And they are right on that. Pissing off the largest carrier in the US was not smart and there may be spillover to Vodafone.

Nokia may have seriously damaged Windows Phone.

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
As much as I like the thought of a high end 822 I really don't see that happening. I think all above 800 but lower then 900 models will be pretty similar. Same resolution screen same screen size (4.3 in.) and same lower end screen compared to the 920. That being said it is interesting that rumors are saying the 822 doesn't have a removable back. But I still do want that screen on the 920 with all it's tech on a Verizon phone before at&t exclusive 6 month contact ends. I'm hoping that's just so t-mobile doesn't get the 920 like what happened with the hd7 and the hd7s

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
And once again I say I hate you Mr. MacPhisto you always come in and dash my hopes. Hopefully Nokia and Microsoft can make it up to Verizon because I really do want a high-end Verizon Nokia phone but if Verizon ditches wp8 I might go to AT&T and it will be nokia's fault because I don't blame Verizon. But I don't see myself using anything but wp8. I'll be pissed to so I think I'd get a HTC 8x as well

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Just to go further here.

Verizon has been preparing for WP8 for two years. They have wanted to promote a third OS for many reasons. They dislike Apple and dislike the cost of Android for them. MS came with a nice solution, but there were launch issues for WP7 for them and they knew about lack of upgradeability a year ago, so they decided to wait.

They have been told by MS and Nokia FOR A YEAR that they would have the high end Nokia device AT LAUNCH. They have prepared for this, including going so far as to prepare marketing to get ready.

Then they were told that Nokia wanted to give AT&T a small window due to their loyalty. VZW wasn't thrilled, but they figured a month wasn't a big deal.

They also prepped their corporate sales team (where my source works) to begin to push WP8 to business as a more secure alternative with MS Office built in and a more efficient interface.

Verizon has taken a lot of time preparing this. They have even shown prototype devices to the corporate team. Then the rug was pulled out from under them by Nokia and they were not even directly informed by Nokia. They had to find out through press reports.

So they had Microsoft sell this as the great third way, the best of both worlds. They had Nokia sell them on high end tech, unique apps to the phone.

And then, as Verizon sees it, they get stabbed in the back. Their Christmas consumer plan is now out the door and they will instead likely be pushing Motorola and Samsung Android devices instead. Their corporate sales plan is also having to be revised.

And they are deeply suspicious that AT&T is working behind the scenes to delay a CDMA version of the ATIV S and the HTC 8X as well by tossing money to the phone makers.

They are most upset at Microsoft here because they promised some semblance of control and have instead let the phone makers cut deals to make a quick buck.

So yes, there is some truth to Verizon considering dumping WP8, though probably after launching first gen. It was just a rumor that the VZ CEO demanded Nokia be cut loose. I think the more likely is that he demanded the other talk I've heard about getting Verizon the quad core exclusive for a six month term.

This is my conjecture, but that is probably MS' only play with Verizon now. They will have to force Nokia to give the high end quad core device to Verizon as an exclusive for at least six months. Wouldn't be surprised if they don't demand that Verizon be the only place for quad core WP devices to start off or Verizon will walk.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Sounds like the higher ups at Verizon are some petty people.

No. They feel they were lied to. If Nokia promised them this device at launch and MS did as well and then they find out through media that their chief competitor gets a six month exclusive, that is not petty.

Verizon would probably not have agreed to provide the strong support they have been planning to kick in without these guarantees.

Frankly, I'm not happy with what I'm hearing either. I really think Microsoft screwed this up big time. They gave Nokia far too much leniency.

My guess is that Microsoft will be the one throwing cash Nokia's way to give Verizon some exclusives in the future in order to salvage the platform in the US.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
No. They feel they were lied to. If Nokia promised them this device at launch and MS did as well and then they find out through media that their chief competitor gets a six month exclusive, that is not petty.

Verizon would probably not have agreed to provide the strong support they have been planning to kick in without these guarantees.

Frankly, I'm not happy with what I'm hearing either. I really think Microsoft screwed this up big time. They gave Nokia far too much leniency.

My guess is that Microsoft will be the one throwing cash Nokia's way to give Verizon some exclusives in the future in order to salvage the platform in the US.

It's one thing if they don't want to do business with Nokia.

It's quite another if they are attempting to use their clout to force Microsoft to break ties with Nokia. That's petty.

Verizon should throw some money at Samsung for an exclusive WP8 device.

Business is business. And up until now, Verizon has done nothing for MS or Nokia. Nothing.

Cam you really blame Nokia going with a company that has actually shown them support?

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

There has been talk not of Verizon dumping WP8, but of VZW dumping Nokia entirely after them promising Verizon they could have the high end phone and then reneging.

My contact says VZW was surprised to hear about the six month exclusive and even more surprised when Nokia confirmed it to them. They got blindsided by it after being told they'd get a version of the 920 - and Nokia had even made one.

Verizon has the attitude that Nokia and MS need them far more than they need either of them. And they are right on that. Pissing off the largest carrier in the US was not smart and there may be spillover to Vodafone.

Nokia may have seriously damaged Windows Phone.

If this is true then heads will roll.

If Nokia can backstab on Verizon then they can backstab on AT&T too. hence a BETTER phone then the 920 being snuck into Verizon.

Verizon can't be completely innocent though. There is probably some sort of motivation for Nokia's backstabbery. If Verizon pushed so hard to work with Nokia then why didn't they offer an exclusivity agreement? I am sure they were given the opportunity to one up AT&T on their exclusivity so why didn't they? Sounds like something Verizon would do.

If Verizon was so vested in Nokia and WP8 they would have put their guard up and locked out AT&T with their own agreement and outbid AT&T. If Nokia refused to lock out AT&T then they could have made a "no-exclusivity" contract instead preventing an exclusivity agreement. Thats like free money/advertising.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If this is true then heads will roll.

If Nokia can backstab on Verizon then they can backstab on AT&T too. hence a BETTER phone then the 920 being snuck into Verizon.

Verizon can't be completely innocent though. There is probably some sort of motivation for Nokia's backstabbery. If Verizon pushed so hard to work with Nokia then why didn't they offer an exclusivity agreement? I am sure they were given the opportunity to one up AT&T on their exclusivity so why didn't they? Sounds like something Verizon would do.

If Verizon was so vested in Nokia and WP8 they would have put their guard up and locked out AT&T with their own agreement and outbid AT&T. If Nokia refused to lock out AT&T then they could have made a "no-exclusivity" contract instead preventing an exclusivity agreement. Thats like free money/advertising.

I don't normally see Verizon push a particular piece of hardware very hard. They're all about their network, and it's a privilege for any OEM to have their device available on Verizon.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Frankly it seems odd to suggest that Microsoft can tell OEM's where they can sell their devices. And why all the focus on Nokia when Microsoft has apparently got behind htc as the signature WP devices?

And unless Elop is a hypocritical two faced ******* this does not sound like the actions of a man who so far seems to have a clear plan to resurrect Nokia. He has said Nokia wants to succeed in the US, this is obviously not the way to go about it and sounds totally out of character for the man we know.

And I'm not sure why nokia's actions would damage the platform, would more likely just damage their sales and reputation.

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
If I was Nokia yeah I'd be giving AT&T a very good phone for their past loyalty but also I'd want in on the #1 American wireless carrier as well so I'd be playing ball with Verizon to and doing what I said.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't normally see Verizon push a particular piece of hardware very hard. They're all about their network, and it's a privilege for any OEM to have their device available on Verizon.

They still should have safeguarded their investment. Would you buy a brand new porche and never get insurance just because you didn't have to? Do you trust all of your electronics enough to never make a backup?

If they went so far as to do all of this work before any contract was drafted, then it's their own fault. They could have done a contract without exclusivity that would at least have garunteed their investment. E.G. the non-exclusivity agreement.

Don't get me wrong. If this is true then Nokia pulled a slimeball move. but Verizon not covering there backs is just poor business.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
It's one thing if they don't want to do business with Nokia.

It's quite another if they are attempting to use their clout to force Microsoft to break ties with Nokia. That's petty.

Verizon should throw some money at Samsung for an exclusive WP8 device.

Business is business. And up until now, Verizon has done nothing for MS or Nokia. Nothing.

Cam you really blame Nokia going with a company that has actually shown them support?

I told you that was a RUMOR that he called up.

Yes, I can blame Nokia if they said they would give Verizon something at launch and then turn around and don't. Sorry.

Verizon has done plenty behind the scenes in preparing for this launch which is really the key WP launch in the first place. WP7 was a place bearer so MS didn't leave the market - and a great one at that.

But if they were promised essentially the Lumia 920 at launch even up to late August/early September and had built plans around it then had it pulled out from under them?

MS and Nokia's sales pitch and promises are what got Verizon excited for the platform. Then they got stabbed in the back and denied one of the key ingredients of the pitch.

Sorry, but that's bad business on Nokia's part. And on MS'.

Verizon also does not tend to pay big bucks for exclusives because their focus is on network, not fads - and they consider every phone a fad because each and every one of them will be out of date in six months or less. They want good phones, but they'd rather invest a couple extra million in network infrastructure than in getting the latest and greatest phone. AT&T, though, has usually been much more phonecentric ever since they were Cingular.

You can argue that Verizon has done nothing for Microsoft or Nokia, but they do need Verizon if they are ever to be mass market products in the US cell industry. I doubt the 920 will take off like the iPhone and even the iPhone reached a market saturation point on AT&T that required more carriers in order for sales to continue to grow.

Thing is if Nokia had said they'd keep the top of the line off Verizon for six months that Verizon likely would not have committed to being a launch partner and would have instead waited until May to carrier WP8. They could conceivably push everything back now in retaliation and that will cause WP8 to miss the potential for several million WP8 devices to be sold over the next six months via Verizon and will mean diminished marketshare.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Frankly it seems odd to suggest that Microsoft can tell OEM's where they can sell their devices. And why all the focus on Nokia when Microsoft has apparently got behind htc as the signature WP devices?

Agreed, MSFT should have no input on carrier availability. If Mr. MacPhisto is right then it's obvious why MSFT changed it's tune. I wouldn't want to be behind a company that is acting like that. With Verizon out of the Lumia 920's grasp Nokia has lost alot of push. With the 8X they know they will get the greatest coverage with a flagship device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)