Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 107
Like Tree75Likes
  1. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    777 Posts
       #1  
    All we see is comments on Samsung making cheap plastic devices on this forum, but Samsung is probably WP8's savior. All I want to say is that we should be happy that Samsung is with us... Stop the trash-talking... Be proud that you want a Lumia and don't kill everybody else's fun...

  2. #2  
    I agree. Every story on the main page not about Nokia becomes a Nokia nut hug in the comments section. Samsung is probably more important to the success of wp8 than any other oem.
    Thanked by:
    Simon Tupper likes this.
  3. Winterfang's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,541 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    #3  
    I believe the Nokia fans are only on this board, Nokia is the laughing stock on other forums. Samsung is quality. Though I hate how long their devices take to charge.
    Simon Tupper likes this.
  4. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    777 Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    I believe the Nokia fans are only on this board, Nokia is the laughing stock on other forums. Samsung is quality. Though I hate how long their devices take to charge.
    My girlfriend's SG3(2100mAH) charges as fast as my Titan II(1700mAH), but they both take a while to charge hahaha
  5. 12Danny123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,704 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,269 Global Posts
    #5  
    Do agree. MS knows about this and I believe they are getting Samsung involved. Also I heard that Samsung is doing a campaign on the ativ S. in Europe. This probably means the US As well
    Simon Tupper likes this.
  6. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    777 Posts
       #6  
    It's getting annoying that everytime someone shows interest for the ATIV s there is 4 or 5 people coming to trash-talk about samsung and how ignorant someone must be to prefer the ATIV s...

    Can't we just see the value in every phone... Someone may prefer a low-end phone and that doesn't mean that he's dumb... I see too much s**t being said and not enough enthusiasm...
    AKA Preluva likes this.
  7. twincamfxd's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    71 Posts
    #7  
    I'm on a Samsung device right now and it has been flawless. I think most of the claims are unfounded, and I am sick of hearing the "cheap plastic" argument.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  8. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    16,847 Posts
    Global Posts
    32,216 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #8  
    As far as mobile OEMs go (irrespective of OS platform), I would only consider devices made by these companies: Apple, Nokia and Samsung. I listed them alphabetically, not in any order of preference. The reason for my selection has to do with build quality of the hardware.
    Simon Tupper likes this.
  9. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    777 Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    As far as mobile OEMs go (irrespective of OS platform), I would only consider devices made by these companies: Apple, Nokia and Samsung. I listed them alphabetically, not in any order of preference. The reason for my selection has to do with build quality of the hardware.
    I owned a Samsung, HTC and a iPhone... My HTC is not very good... the iPhone was probably the best in term of quality, but my Samsung was simply stunning for a "cheap plastic" device
    snowmutt and Laura Knotek like this.
  10. Winterfang's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,541 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Tupper View Post
    It's getting annoying that everytime someone shows interest for the ATIV s there is 4 or 5 people coming to trash-talk about samsung and how ignorant someone must be to prefer the ATIV s...

    Can't we just see the value in every phone... Someone may prefer a low-end phone and that doesn't mean that he's dumb... I see too much s**t being said and not enough enthusiasm...
    The funny thing is that the ATIV is not even close to being low end. Is arguable the best speck Windows Phone device. People had being clamoring for a Galaxy S3 variant for Windows Phone and samsung give us just that.
  11. astraith's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,310 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    As far as mobile OEMs go (irrespective of OS platform), I would only consider devices made by these companies: Apple, Nokia and Samsung. I listed them alphabetically, not in any order of preference. The reason for my selection has to do with build quality of the hardware.
    I agree. I currently have Samsung, and its great. I know Apple means build quality will be top notch. And Nokia is the same. LG = trash in my opinion. Will never buy another LG phone.
  12. ChrisLynch's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    #12  
    As much as I'm glad Samsung is an OEM for Microsoft, they certainly haven't made the best quality devices. While I liked my Focus and Focus 2, my Lumia 900 has much better build quality than any other current Windows Phone device.

    And it's not just the build quality, it's the overall ecosystem support. Where are similar apps that Nokia has built from Samsung? Where are the physical devices like the Qi Wireless Fatboy Pillow, or the JBL NFC capable speaker? Heck, what about the Purity Headphones?

    Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Samsung. I'm just saying there are very good reasons why folks are happy Nokia is fully onboard with Windows Phone, where Samsung is not.
    gmlongo likes this.
  13. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    777 Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLynch View Post
    As much as I'm glad Samsung is an OEM for Microsoft, they certainly haven't made the best quality devices. While I liked my Focus and Focus 2, my Lumia 900 has much better build quality than any other current Windows Phone device.

    And it's not just the build quality, it's the overall ecosystem support. Where are similar apps that Nokia has built from Samsung? Where are the physical devices like the Qi Wireless Fatboy Pillow, or the JBL NFC capable speaker? Heck, what about the Purity Headphones?

    Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Samsung. I'm just saying there are very good reasons why folks are happy Nokia is fully onboard with Windows Phone, where Samsung is not.
    All I am saying is that the ATIV s is a damn good device and it deserves respect... it might not have all the accessories that the Lumia has, but as far as I am concern it's like automobiles, more options doesn't mean better...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  14. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    16,847 Posts
    Global Posts
    32,216 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLynch View Post
    As much as I'm glad Samsung is an OEM for Microsoft, they certainly haven't made the best quality devices. While I liked my Focus and Focus 2, my Lumia 900 has much better build quality than any other current Windows Phone device.

    And it's not just the build quality, it's the overall ecosystem support. Where are similar apps that Nokia has built from Samsung? Where are the physical devices like the Qi Wireless Fatboy Pillow, or the JBL NFC capable speaker? Heck, what about the Purity Headphones?

    Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Samsung. I'm just saying there are very good reasons why folks are happy Nokia is fully onboard with Windows Phone, where Samsung is not.
    I'm not bashing Nokia, but there really is no need to bother with special Purity Headphones. They are just Monster headphones made in special colors to match Lumia devices. Any brand of headphones will work, since the Lumias use standard 3.5mm headphone jacks and support A2DP Bluetooth. My Klipsch headphones, which I've had for over two years, work just fine.
  15. firewall2302's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    82 Posts
    #15  
    On my list of WP8 phones I want, the Ativ S is second place. I'm currently an Android user with my device being made by HTC and it's become clear to me how terrible they are. I was planning to replace this HTC phone with a GS3 but then I went back to looking into Windows Phone (I originally considered it when I switched to Android from iOS but the ecosystem just wasn't where I wanted it to be yet). But, my first information on the Ativ S made it the leader until I started looking more closely at the Lumia 920.

    For me, the technology placed in the Ativ S is great but the Lumia 920 just has more stuff I want. I previously would have said that the micro SD on the Ativ would be huge for me but I've learned with an unlimited data plan and Google Play I just stream all my music so that I don't have to make sure all of my devices (I also have an Transformer Prime from Asus) have the same songs loaded onto them.

    The Lumia 920 just has more things that appeal to me like super-sensitive touch and the qi wireless charging. Not to mention the Nokia suite of apps like City Lens and Nokia Music.

    Although, were I to not pick up the 920 for some reason I would certainly be headed for the Ativ S. The rest of the WP8 devices (even the flagship 8X) just don't appeal to me nearly as much as the 920 or Ativ S.

    So...I guess I'm saying I prefer Nokia but am not about to hate on the Ativ because Sammy makes some seriously quality devices. :D
    snowmutt and Simon Tupper like this.
  16. rbiasca's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    139 Posts
    #16  
    i am surprised there is no mention of htc in here hardly. I have an original titan, build quality is amazing. have thrown the thing on the ground very many times. once when i was jogging it flew out of my hands, bounced off of the sidewalk and out into oncoming traffic. still works like a charm, i think i am lucky that it hasnt broken the screen but the aluminum body is tuff, hate not getting updades though.
    power5 and Simon Tupper like this.
  17. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    777 Posts
       #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by firewall2302 View Post
    On my list of WP8 phones I want, the Ativ S is second place. I'm currently an Android user with my device being made by HTC and it's become clear to me how terrible they are. I was planning to replace this HTC phone with a GS3 but then I went back to looking into Windows Phone (I originally considered it when I switched to Android from iOS but the ecosystem just wasn't where I wanted it to be yet). But, my first information on the Ativ S made it the leader until I started looking more closely at the Lumia 920.

    For me, the technology placed in the Ativ S is great but the Lumia 920 just has more stuff I want. I previously would have said that the micro SD on the Ativ would be huge for me but I've learned with an unlimited data plan and Google Play I just stream all my music so that I don't have to make sure all of my devices (I also have an Transformer Prime from Asus) have the same songs loaded onto them.

    The Lumia 920 just has more things that appeal to me like super-sensitive touch and the qi wireless charging. Not to mention the Nokia suite of apps like City Lens and Nokia Music.

    Although, were I to not pick up the 920 for some reason I would certainly be headed for the Ativ S. The rest of the WP8 devices (even the flagship 8X) just don't appeal to me nearly as much as the 920 or Ativ S.

    So...I guess I'm saying I prefer Nokia but am not about to hate on the Ativ because Sammy makes some seriously quality devices. :D
    Exactly what I like to see... love the Lumia, but admit that the ATIV s is good.
    snowmutt likes this.
  18. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    777 Posts
       #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by rbiasca View Post
    i am surprised there is no mention of htc in here hardly. I have an original titan, build quality is amazing. have thrown the thing on the ground very many times. once when i was jogging it flew out of my hands, bounced off of the sidewalk and out into oncoming traffic. still works like a charm, i think i am lucky that it hasnt broken the screen but the aluminum body is tuff, hate not getting updades though.
    I am having so many problem with my Titan II that I can't love it... but maybe you had no problem and all that matters is that you love your phone and its manufacturer
  19. 12Danny123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,704 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,269 Global Posts
    #19  
    I like the ativ S. I tried the galaxy note 10.1 and it was fine. So I might get the Ativ Smartpc or tab. And probably the ativ S. since I do like Samsung products and Nokia's. I want to try a different OEM. I always loved Nokia. But I want to try samsung and htc for a while. While I do think the 920 is very good. I want to see the 8X and Ativ S
    Simon Tupper likes this.
  20. power5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,208 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,447 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rbiasca View Post
    i am surprised there is no mention of htc in here hardly. I have an original titan, build quality is amazing. have thrown the thing on the ground very many times. once when i was jogging it flew out of my hands, bounced off of the sidewalk and out into oncoming traffic. still works like a charm, i think i am lucky that it hasnt broken the screen but the aluminum body is tuff, hate not getting updades though.
    I have the same experiences with my Titan. It feels spectacular in the hand and reflects that in its build quality. It has hit the ceramic floors in my house from up to 36" high, a few times now, with only a small flattened area right on the hard line around the middle of the edge. The screen is nice, the limited features it does have is nice, but yeah, getting no updates in a year means I will NEVER get another one, unless they step up their customer service by about 1000%. And I only paid a penny for it. Had I paid full price or full contracted price, I would be LIVID.

    My rank is 920/Ativ. They are neck and neck. Love the 920 camera and apps. Like the Ativ appearance a bit more but after playing with a few S3, its not tops in my book for quality feel no matter what the apologists say about its actual quality.

    I am hoping that the 8.5 devices have a metal body version from someone. There really is nothing like the feel of it in my opinion. The 920 ought to be steel for as much as it weighs though. I am impressed with the ip5 for its weight and being metal.
    Simon Tupper likes this.
  21. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    777 Posts
       #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    I don't give a **** about Samsung because Samsung doesn't give a **** about WP8. Period.
    LOL... Samsung is probably the manufacturer who's making the most W8 devices and they also make a WP8, so your argument is quite invalid.

    Sorry if I sound harsh, I'm drinking with some friends, no offense intended.
    snowmutt and brmiller1976 like this.
  22. VagrantWade's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,399 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Tupper View Post
    LOL... Samsung is probably the manufacturer who's making the most W8 devices and they also make a WP8, so your argument is quite invalid.

    Sorry if I sound harsh, I'm drinking with some friends, no offense intended.
    And? Where are the commercials with the Ativ? They don't care about WP8. Sorry if that upsets you but it's the truth. Android is their bread and butter.
  23. Simon Tupper's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    777 Posts
       #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    And? Where are the commercials with the Ativ? They don't care about WP8. Sorry if that upsets you but it's the truth. Android is their bread and butter.
    As 12dany123 said "I heard that Samsung is doing a campaign on the ativ S. in Europe. This probably means the US As well". Samsung is the one who could change everything for WP8
    brmiller1976 likes this.
  24. firewall2302's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    82 Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by power5 View Post
    I have the same experiences with my Titan. It feels spectacular in the hand and reflects that in its build quality. It has hit the ceramic floors in my house from up to 36" high, a few times now, with only a small flattened area right on the hard line around the middle of the edge. The screen is nice, the limited features it does have is nice, but yeah, getting no updates in a year means I will NEVER get another one, unless they step up their customer service by about 1000%. And I only paid a penny for it. Had I paid full price or full contracted price, I would be LIVID.

    My rank is 920/Ativ. They are neck and neck. Love the 920 camera and apps. Like the Ativ appearance a bit more but after playing with a few S3, its not tops in my book for quality feel no matter what the apologists say about its actual quality.

    I am hoping that the 8.5 devices have a metal body version from someone. There really is nothing like the feel of it in my opinion. The 920 ought to be steel for as much as it weighs though. I am impressed with the ip5 for its weight and being metal.
    I have to agree with those who have said good things about the durability of HTC products. My HTC Vivid has only been dropped twice (both times it fell out of my pocket). Both times it survived without so much as a mark and one of those it even fell directly onto the metal legs for the casters on my office chair. Now, since I refuse to use a case it does have a few scuffs on the metal backplate where it rubs against rivets on my jeans' pockets when I use it but that's my fault, not HTC's.

    I just can't support them due to all of the issues I've had with my phone from a software standpoint. Granted, with Windows Phone 8 I would expect less of them since they won't be tinkering around with the OS as much (I've grown to sincerely hate HTC Sense UI) but it still keeps me from considering their phones.
  25. 12Danny123's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,704 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,269 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Tupper View Post
    As 12dany123 said "I heard that Samsung is doing a campaign on the ativ S. in Europe. This probably means the US As well". Samsung is the one who could change everything for WP8
    Yea it's here in this link
    http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2012/10/133_122088.html

    Samsung decided not to roll out Ativ S smartphone in Korea this year. But it will launch promotional campaigns for the Ativ S for consumers in Europe, said an official from the company.


    While. Do love the 920 and getting one as well for my personal phone. I also do like the Ativ S. and will have it as my work phone. And glad Samsung is doing something for the Ativ S
    Simon Tupper likes this.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions