Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 125
Like Tree14Likes
  1. thecrispy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
       #1  
    I know that Sprint is waiting on coming out with a WP8 device and since they are big supporters of HTC devices along with the HTC 8X coming to all carriers except them I don't see why they wouldn't get that one in the spring. I believe they are waiting to see how well WP8 and the HTC 8X does before they decide. Also since Verizon and Sprint both use CDMA there is no reason why they wouldn't adopt the 8X. That and if they don't announce a device by summer next year they will be left behind and I think they realize this. I have an HTC Arrive with a cracked screen and broken hinge on both sides, I really really need and upgrade!!!
  2. Jazmac's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,118 Posts
    #2  
    For sake of those left on sprint wanting a Windows Phone I hope you're right but personally, I wouldn't hold my breath on that. But I left sprint with the Arrive in almost new condition. I could be persuaded to part with if by the sprint continues to flood the market with its cheaply made, android based "iphone" knockoffs.
  3. thecrispy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Techblogger View Post
    For sake of those left on sprint wanting a Windows Phone I hope you're right but personally, I wouldn't hold my breath on that. But I left sprint with the Arrive in almost new condition. I could be persuaded to part with if by the sprint continues to flood the market with its cheaply made, android based "iphone" knockoffs.
    Well considering that I am stuck with sprint I really have no choice. There is nothing to suggest that they wouldn't. I mean HTC and Sprint are tied to the hip with the Evo line. What's to stop them from getting the WP8 from HTC as an 8X and Evo hybrid device.
  4. jfa1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,359 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,438 Global Posts
    #4  
    The first and main constraint would be all the money they dumped in apples lap for the iPhone which limits the $$ they might have to get in the WP8 game.
    Last edited by jfa1; 10-14-2012 at 11:50 PM.
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!
  5. #5  
    Crisy-
    I also have an Arrive, and from what I have read here and other places, the Arrive was discontinued and unsupported with the exception being replacement phones. I'm banking on this as my Arrive is pretty beat up.

    Can anyone else confirm or deny this info?

    Thanks

    -Doc
    Actual location: Inside the system itself.

    Vaporwaremagpolydilithium- What Surface is actually made of.
  6. lhunter1130's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Impossible View Post
    Crisy-
    I also have an Arrive, and from what I have read here and other places, the Arrive was discontinued and unsupported with the exception being replacement phones. I'm banking on this as my Arrive is pretty beat up.

    Can anyone else confirm or deny this info?

    Thanks

    -Doc
    yes i got out of my contract without paying ETF since they discontinued the arrive and didnt even support it 2 years. Im so happy to be going to at&t which i hate but its true they always have the best and newest phones
  7. johnmcd348's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    233 Posts
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    #8  
    So I wonder, with Ting working through Sprint in a BYOP position, would it be thinkable to get a Verizon CDMA Phone and bring it into Sprint via that program instead of just going straight through?

    In all Honesty, I'm a Sprint customer and Arrive user and will probably still be going Droid for the next couple of years until things get worked out and either WP becomes a truly viable entity in the market or they crash and burn due to poor marketing/support.

    After the last few days, I've become a little more disenchanted with the platform and lack of support for WWW accepted norms like Flash, JAVA, etc. I'm waiting to see how things change with the advent of WP8.

    As a side note, perhaps my getting the GN2 will help usher in a new WP for Sprint. My luck usually works out that way. I wait and wait for something and finally settle, only hear a few days later that what I really wanted is coming in the next few weeks. Maybe it will help others on Sprint......... Then, in a couple of years, I can come back to the fold.
  8. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #9  
    Sprint does not allow activation of "non-Sprint" IMEIs on its network. They have a very precise ban on BYOD.
  9. thecrispy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 View Post
    So I wonder, with Ting working through Sprint in a BYOP position, would it be thinkable to get a Verizon CDMA Phone and bring it into Sprint via that program instead of just going straight through?

    In all Honesty, I'm a Sprint customer and Arrive user and will probably still be going Droid for the next couple of years until things get worked out and either WP becomes a truly viable entity in the market or they crash and burn due to poor marketing/support.

    After the last few days, I've become a little more disenchanted with the platform and lack of support for WWW accepted norms like Flash, JAVA, etc. I'm waiting to see how things change with the advent of WP8.

    As a side note, perhaps my getting the GN2 will help usher in a new WP for Sprint. My luck usually works out that way. I wait and wait for something and finally settle, only hear a few days later that what I really wanted is coming in the next few weeks. Maybe it will help others on Sprint......... Then, in a couple of years, I can come back to the fold.
    I feel as thought they are being hush hush about WP8 and pulling a Microsoft. And as frustrating as that is I can see that happening. Microsoft maybe even be behind the whole hush hush thing for Sprint, that is if my assumption is correct. But if the posting from Ting is correct then I don't see why not. Sprint may just be playing hard to get.
  10. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrispy View Post
    Well considering that I am stuck with sprint I really have no choice. There is nothing to suggest that they wouldn't. I mean HTC and Sprint are tied to the hip with the Evo line. What's to stop them from getting the WP8 from HTC as an 8X and Evo hybrid device.
    how are you stuck with sprint? there are other carriers like T-mobile for instance.

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 View Post
    So I wonder, with Ting working through Sprint in a BYOP position, would it be thinkable to get a Verizon CDMA Phone and bring it into Sprint via that program instead of just going straight through?

    In all Honesty, I'm a Sprint customer and Arrive user and will probably still be going Droid for the next couple of years until things get worked out and either WP becomes a truly viable entity in the market or they crash and burn due to poor marketing/support.

    After the last few days, I've become a little more disenchanted with the platform and lack of support for WWW accepted norms like Flash, JAVA, etc. I'm waiting to see how things change with the advent of WP8.

    As a side note, perhaps my getting the GN2 will help usher in a new WP for Sprint. My luck usually works out that way. I wait and wait for something and finally settle, only hear a few days later that what I really wanted is coming in the next few weeks. Maybe it will help others on Sprint......... Then, in a couple of years, I can come back to the fold.
    WP supports plenty of the WWW accepted norms, IE gets nearly a perfect score on the acid tests. Flash is discontinued and don't even get me started with JAVA.
  11. thecrispy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
       #12  
    Well since we are "Premier" Sprint customers my mom can afford our plan but if we were to switch we probably wouldn't.
  12. stmav's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,685 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    #13  
    I would like nothing better than for Sprint to get a WP8 phone. Been with them 14 years. But waiting until spring or summer is just not acceptable. If they don't announce something around release time I will Fredo them.
  13. #14  
    I still really want to know if I can get a replacement Arrive even tho they don't support it anymore. Moving on....


    Let us all not forget that as of 4 am this morning, Softbank of Japan has just bought a controlling, 70% stake in Sprint, so it will be interesting to see how that affects things, if at all.

    Thanks

    -Doc
    Actual location: Inside the system itself.

    Vaporwaremagpolydilithium- What Surface is actually made of.
  14. DontHate707's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    346 Posts
    #15  
    I hope they get an 8x and a nokia device at that big tech even that take place in January.
    I had to buy a new arrive due to cracked screen and the plastic on the hinge broke but i love the arrive, even tho i cant wait to have a first gen keyboard less device.
  15. thecrispy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
       #16  
    Yup same probelms with mine but I am not able to it due to them not having it in stock or them knowing when they ever will. As long as they get the 8X or Lumia 920 in some variant ill be happy.
  16. gibbyhome's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    550 Posts
    #17  
    Lets face it,
    Microsoft is releasing Windows Phone 8 in 9 more days and there is absolutely 0 news from Sprint on Windows phones.. Infact there is more news from MetroPCS on Windows phone then Sprint. They will not be getting the Windows Phone 8 for a very long time. I was with Sprint for god, well over 10 years and they kept telling me its coming its coming and we got the arrive ? at full price and most of the stores didn't even have the phone in stock.. GIVE ME A BREAK Sprint needs to be sold or something, because all they will do is all Android, I think the VP of Sprint that has been bashing Windows Phone is a Android NUT.... and wants nothing more than for Microsoft to Fall FLAT on their butts.. but I will tell you.
    After looking at windows phone 8 pre sales around the country and how the surface tablet has been doing It looks like this is Exactly what Windows Phone Needed. Its big brother OS and devices to push this phone into peoples hands.
    Good Bye SPRINT. I fell bad for every Windows Phone lover that is on Sprint .. I hope I am Very Wrong.
    Mark
  17. malachijd's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    282 Posts
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    #18  
    Well funny you say sprint should be sold cause that's what's happening. Softbank a Japanese wireless carrier bought 70% of sprint for 20 billion
  18. stephen_az's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,056 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,090 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrispy View Post
    Well considering that I am stuck with sprint I really have no choice. There is nothing to suggest that they wouldn't. I mean HTC and Sprint are tied to the hip with the Evo line. What's to stop them from getting the WP8 from HTC as an 8X and Evo hybrid device.
    The only company with whom Sprint is tied at the hip is Apple and that massive financial commitment is not going way any time soon. Perhaps they will be on board in the future after the Softbank buyout is complete but, until then, they have made it clear they have no immediate plans.
    brmiller1976 likes this.
  19. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #20  
    I think Sprint isn't dumb. If there's an upswell in customer demand for WP, they'll stock it.

    One important thing you can do is talk to retentions before you leave and tell them you're leaving because they don't support WP8. If enough people do that, they'll get the message and make a change.
  20. btgusto's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    163 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    #21  
    the waiting game is over for me. I will join att as soon as I can for the 920. I have the arrive and absolutely refuse to pay my sprint bill until i close the account. After over ten years, I will not put any more money in their pockets just so they can give it to apple. I havent paid in two months. I'll deal with a little credit hit to make a stand on this.
    Thanked by:
    MikadoWu likes this.
  21. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by swyost View Post
    The only company with whom Sprint is tied at the hip is Apple and that massive financial commitment is not going way any time soon. Perhaps they will be on board in the future after the Softbank buyout is complete but, until then, they have made it clear they have no immediate plans.
    This guy knows... after all, he was the one calling Verizon tips and rumors baseless. We all know he was spot on.
  22. mrmdj316's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    44 Posts
    #23  
    If there was an actual demand for Windows Phone device that would increase their share in the US market, then it would had been obvious to attract the carriers who have 2/3 Of the total market, a market which Microsoft refused to support devices for (yes, I am talking about CDMA carriers and not limited to Verizon and Sprint).

    Before anyone says Lumia 922 and HTC 8X, have in mind who will have to do direct support for those devices, and it's not going to be Microsoft unless they actually code for current Qualcomm CDMA standards (more specific to 512bit encryption, standard used currently for CDMA 2000 based EVDO and SVDO). Ironically, no one wants to ask Microsoft why they were not on more CDMA carriers in the US outside the three largest.

    BTW, why Sprint is treated as the ******* child on this site?
  23. jonathan sink's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmdj316 View Post
    If there was an actual demand for Windows Phone device that would increase their share in the US market, then it would had been obvious to attract the carriers who have 2/3 Of the total market, a market which Microsoft refused to support devices for (yes, I am talking about CDMA carriers and not limited to Verizon and Sprint).

    Before anyone says Lumia 922 and HTC 8X, have in mind who will have to do direct support for those devices, and it's not going to be Microsoft unless they actually code for current Qualcomm CDMA standards (more specific to 512bit encryption, standard used currently for CDMA 2000 based EVDO and SVDO). Ironically, no one wants to ask Microsoft why they were not on more CDMA carriers in the US outside the three largest.

    BTW, why Sprint is treated as the ******* child on this site?
    I think they are treated as such because that's how they treated wp.
  24. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #25  
    CDMA is a dying technology that its current carriers are scrambling to shut down and exit. Microsoft's support is restricted to standard voice and data (which Snapdragon supports), and CDMA carriers themselves are not interested in stocking further CDMA-only devices.

    Verizon is sunsetting the CDMA network as fast as they can. It would not surprise me if Sprint does the same.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions