Nokia 810 and wifi calling

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I was at T mobile today trying to get info on their wifi calling and it seems only some of the androids have this feature, the lumina 710 did not. The wifi calling is important to me because I plan to replace my land line. So does anyone know if the 810 will do wifi calling.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
We're just waiting for the 810 to hit the stores before it we see if it has the UMA hardware (WiFi calling) in it.

We know that Skype is "deeply integrated" in WP8, but how deep? Will it use the phone's phone number for caller ID? Can you take incoming calls to your phone number via Skype? Will making WiFi calls count against your plans voice minutes? Will you have to pay for Skype calls to other phones not running Skype?

We'll just have to wait and see.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
With T-mobile

They offer the wifi calling to help customers if the signal strength is poor in their area. Then calls could be made say from the cellar. The big thing though is it doesn't count against your minutes. I don't use the phone much so all I would need is a conservative plan. I hope the UMA hardware is there so it will work...........calfee

mcpayton

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Actually, minutes used on Wifi do count against your monthly allotment. See here :
Support: Wi-Fi Calling
To quote :
"There is no additional monthly charge to use the Wi-Fi Calling feature on your handset. Wi-Fi Calling uses monthly plan minutes for the following:...."

That being said, I hope WP8 supports it, since at work I get weak to no signal but have Wifi available.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the catch. Typical though some T-mobile salesperson told me it wouldn't count towards your minutes. I still want this but may have to rethink my plans........calfee "one of the few with no mobile phone"

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
We're just waiting for the 810 to hit the stores before it we see if it has the UMA hardware (WiFi calling) in it.

We know that Skype is "deeply integrated" in WP8, but how deep? Will it use the phone's phone number for caller ID? Can you take incoming calls to your phone number via Skype? Will making WiFi calls count against your plans voice minutes? Will you have to pay for Skype calls to other phones not running Skype?

We'll just have to wait and see.

Did you watch the you tube video in the posting today about skype in WP8 If not take a look.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Did you watch the you tube video in the posting today about skype in WP8 If not take a look.
The video was down. It sounded very interesting though. This is probably one of the reasons MS has WinP8 locked down. Could they have a killer app here.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I watched it after I posted. Rather impressive. If I get a WP8, it will be easy for my sister to keep in touch with me when she is out of country. But if you use Skype to call an actual phone number, you have to pay for it.

I found this web post.........

T-Mobile Bringing Unlimited Wi-Fi Calling Back | | TmoNewsTmoNews

This was announced 5/11 will have to make sure it is still true or not.
It's true, current WiFi call is free (doesn't count against your plan's minutes). BUT I have to reiterate, that it only happens if you have a handset that supports hardware based WiFi calling. T-Mobile is good at getting the Android versions of their phones to have the hardware installed (Samsung Galaxy S3 or example), the question is whether or not they got the hardware shoved into the coming windows phones?

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Just saw this list so really late and probably no help. Trust me...calling via Skype does not count against your min. I do it all the time and watch my mi. Because I don't have an unlimited plan. It works just fine. It will eat data so you need the unlimited data.

Conejo99

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
The difference is that with wi-fi calling all calls made to my phone number communicate via the internet (even from analog land line phones). The caller doesn't need to know to use some special service to reach me. They just call my number as they would any number and I get the clear signal and don't use any plan minutes.
I had planned to purchase 3 windows phones, but ended up getting 3 Samsung Galaxy phones instead.
Also, since this is only active when you are using the wi-fi, you use none of your data allotment.

Alex Zapata

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the current iteration of WiFi calling is IMS based and so is purely at the software level. UMA was only on a handful of devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb