IS Verizon getting an unannounced device?

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
With the various rumors and speculation swirling around about the 920 variant and and the Surface phone, What do you think is going on behind the doors of Verizon.

option 2 should be 9XX(922) within 6 months after launch

Don't forget it's a multiple choice poll, you can pick Potato AND something else.

Last edited:

KeegdnaB42

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I can't say for certain but here's my take. Considering how much Microsoft spends in R&D and the cost relative to their overall investment in WP it would be foolish to think they don't have their own hardware cooked up, possibly close to if not ready to launch. Unlike the Surface tablet tough they didn't need an obvious ultimatum to their OEMs to get their act together so chose to hold on to it as a contingency plan and release it only if things got really screwed up, and if the talk in the 9XX thread are accurate with Nokia backstabbing Verizon and AT&T paying HTC and Samsung to delay their CDMA phones, that may very well be the case. If there is in fact a Surface Phone in existence, probably the only people outside of Microsoft who know about it are Verizon because MS can't afford to not have them at launch and they knew if any games were going to be played it was going to be AT&T cockblocking Verizon and not the other way around. So unless there really is a 920 variant coming in the launch window (as in within a month) and this whole thing has been overblown, I'd say Verizon getting the Surface Phone is a very real possibility.

The_Vermonster

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I would put money on MS playing apple's game with the surface. I think it's going to be on both (or more) carriers, but I bet it will mostly be sold at MS stores. MS is trying to create an entire ecosystem to compete with the iPhone, iPad and iMac ecosystem. TO do that they need people in their stores buying things.

Also I highly doubt Verizon will get a vastly improved 9xx. IF Verizon was able to persuade Nokia to make a better 9xx, they why didn't they do the same with the 822. Everyone has been talking about how the 820 lacks a few things that would make it a perfect phone. The 822 addresses none of those things.

It was also mentioned that it would be a really bad move on Nokia's part to release a phone better than their "flagship," especially when they don't release it on their home turf. Also they only way to make this supposed 9xx lighter and thinner would be to remove the OIS and Wireless charging, thereby making is a slightly bigger 822.

I think best case, we see a new line in mid 2013 introducing a new flagship for multiple carriers.

TL:DR, Potato

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting the Potato. It should take better pictures than the iPhone.

f1TtV.jpg

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I hope not, Verizon's already been screwed out of one high end WP8 it would be nice for them to get an exclusive on another just to make up for that, even if only for a little while.

How has VZW been screwed out of anything? Do you really think Nokia, AT&T, and Microsoft secretly negotiated the exclusivity deal? Everyone announces WP8 phones except VZW (my carrier). Logic (and economics) would dictate VZW is making its own decisions....

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
surface phone will be sold through msoft stores I thought. which means it will probably be open for all carriers, a la g nexus.

I think verizon will get the 822, and maybe the 8x or ativ s.

but that doesnt really matter. I think the 920 is the flagship and is the platforms best chance to wrestle market share. in 6 months, it wont be anything and unfortunately, by then, the platform may become a joke for the android crowd, deflated of whatever buzz and cautious optimism it may have now.

I already hear on other forums android and iOS people calling for the surface on clearance within 3 months. I dont think its true, but its clear that cell phones have much in common with religion. Everyone is very insecure about their platform being 2nd best, even if that means you stomp on the throat of innovation.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
surface phone will be sold through msoft stores I thought. which means it will probably be open for all carriers, a la g nexus.

I think verizon will get the 822, and maybe the 8x or ativ s.

but that doesnt really matter. I think the 920 is the flagship and is the platforms best chance to wrestle market share. in 6 months, it wont be anything and unfortunately, by then, the platform may become a joke for the android crowd, deflated of whatever buzz and cautious optimism it may have now.

I already hear on other forums android and iOS people calling for the surface on clearance within 3 months. I dont think its true, but its clear that cell phones have much in common with religion. Everyone is very insecure about their platform being 2nd best, even if that means you stomp on the throat of innovation.

Sad isn't it? That's what happens when people get married to an ecosystem. Many with iPhones and android devices have so much invested in apps and what not that they feel locked in, thus talking smack about other systems because of jealousy or stubbornness.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I hope not, Verizon's already been screwed out of one high end WP8 it would be nice for them to get an exclusive on another just to make up for that, even if only for a little while.

I would say if VZN's been screwed they did did it to themselves!

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Sad isn't it? That's what happens when people get married to an ecosystem. Many with iPhones and android devices have so much invested in apps and what not that they feel locked in, thus talking smack about other systems because of jealousy or stubbornness.

Yea, app developers should allow purchases to be valid across all platforms. It does not bother me though, I did it once and I will do it again. I also don't blow a ton of cash on apps though, Iv'e spent less then 75$ on apps in 4 years.

potato!

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site

I probably have about $50 each in app purchases for iOS and Android. While it's a decent amount of money, it's not enough to keep me from switching to the platform that works best for me. At least I know that if I did choose to switch back, my purchases would be there waiting for me.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I think they will get the 822 or whatever it is called and see how that along with the new lumia on att sells and then determine if they will get a more high end device or just stick with the 8x and 822. Plus if MS and their partners really want wp8 to take off they need to ax this exclusivity bs. Put it on all carriers at the same time and watch sales take off. Sales are slow because the high end wp are on 1 carrier and the others get the "leftovers" which most do not want to buy.

mountainman

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I hope it's a surface phone. But it won't be, and here is why.

Apple is one of the most secretive companies in the world. We all knew exactly what the iPhone 5 looked like well before it was officially announced because of all the leaks. Where are all the surface phone leaks? There are none.

I want to get a Windows phone on VZW. I think our only option is HTC... That is just sad IMO.

I really hope I'm wrong.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I hope it's a surface phone. But it won't be, and here is why.

Apple is one of the most secretive companies in the world. We all knew exactly what the iPhone 5 looked like well before it was officially announced because of all the leaks. Where are all the surface phone leaks? There are none.

I want to get a Windows phone on VZW. I think our only option is HTC... That is just sad IMO.

I really hope I'm wrong.

you have to remember that there arent nearly as many eyes watching Microsoft's hardware division as there are Apple's.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo