Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MacPhisto View Post
    Can you really tell? I usually can't. If I put phones up to my eyeball I might be able to. The 822 has the same powertrain specs as the 8X minus the higher rez screen. I think the 822 will be snappier than the 8X because of this.

It's a 4.3 inch screen. Frankly, I couldn't really see a huge difference between the 820 and 920 screens I saw at the AT&T store other than the 820 was brighter. The higher pixel density will mean higher battery draw and more heat generated from the display.

Two things push the 822 over the top for me. Expandable storage (music buff) and Nokia apps. Liked the 820 better than the 920 in many ways when they were announced but the lack of Gorilla Glass was a killer. As soon as I saw the 822 was getting GG2.0, I became very interested in it.

The 8X is a nice phone, don't get me wrong. I think the 822 is a more versatile phone. And I have heard what Honestabread said, the 822's reception is incredible. The AT&T guy I talked to (was just wanting to look at the phones) said the 820 had better reception than the 920 and was the best he had ever seen. If the 822 is the same, this could be an incredible phone at an equally incredible price.
    I guess that it sounds, if you read my posts, that I've become one of the supposed 8X fanboys. I promise you this isn't the case.

I like HTC. They've made several of my previous phones, including my favorite, the HD7 that I was able to play with for only a few days. While I'm really not stoked about their support and RMA process, including repair prices, I do like them as a company. If you ask some of my friends, they'll say that their experiences with HTC vary.

However, I do want to support Nokia for their support of Windows Phone. I do wonder what the future of Windows Phones would have been without them. They also get some exclusive apps as well, some of which I do wish I had on my phones.

There is a double edged sword here. The whole WP ecosystem may also be suffering due to the exclusivity with not only apps, but phones as well. I digress.

I've still been considering the 822, but I would like to review the unit before making a choice. Personally, I pretty much agree with you that the 822 is an underdog and is getting judged unfairly without anyone really seeing or using one. I'd personally like to prove this to everyone, and I think that the 822 would be a fantastic choice for the average consumer.

Thing is, I don't believe most people here to be average WP customers. I think those who actively post about phones are probably a little more passionate about features and the like. For some, its all about brand. For others, its features.

Can I personally spot the difference between screens with high pixel density? Absolutely. I know that others, like my parents and some friends really can't tell. Some will call it a marketing gimmick. Others will notice.

Take the iPhone 3x and compare to the iPhone 4. It was an incredible change.

I really am rooting for the 822. I really just wish that Nokia would have sent review units before the launch of the actual device itself.

Take it for what its worth, but I'm very much considering the 822 more and more. I chose the 8X initially. That has a very high degree of changing.

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Preorders ship tomorrow. Brick and mortar launch on the 18th. Red 8X will Launch black Friday.

Also the 822 in gray is stunning. Serious contender for my personal phone upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honestabebread View Post
    Preorders ship tomorrow. Brick and mortar launch on the 18th. Red 8X will Launch black Friday.

Also the 822 in gray is stunning. Serious contender for my personal phone upgrade.
    Just cancelled my 8X order to switch to this phone. Very excited.

I did so after looking at an 820 versus the 8X in an AT&T store.

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts

So I have to wait a week because I did not order online... Thats janky. I figured it would ship on day of availability in stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by ironsoulreaver View Post
    So I have to wait a week because I did not order online... Thats janky. I figured it would ship on day of availability in stores.
    Order now. Verizon has free overnight shipping. Would get it tomorrow.

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by independentvolume View Post
    I think I might. I went to an AT&T store and played with the phones today... I have to say the 8x is not so pretty in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by ironsoulreaver View Post
    I think I might. I went to an AT&T store and played with the phones today... I have to say the 8x is not so pretty in person.
    Did they have the 820? If so, how was the screen?

Global Posts
    1,741 Global Posts
    It still says will ship by the 13, so I think it will ship tommorow and we will all get them Wednesday, no?

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    Yea they had it. It was a good screen. My only complaint is the resolution but it looks stunning.
    As the OP in your quote did, I also when to an AT&T store and compared the 820 to the 8X. This is what made me decide to switch, on top of the few problems that have been reported with reception and battery. Plus, the Nokia apps (which I've never been able to play with before) were pretty fun.

The 820's screen, though not as high of resolution as I'd like, is absolutely vibrant when compared to the 8X. Looking at the 8X with the 820 next to it, with the same theme and apps running, there's no comparison. The 8X looks washed out and the 820 pops. Very vibrant.

Some display enthusiasts may say that it is over saturated, but I personally think it just adds to the wow and pop factor of the phone. Immediately after this, I went home, cancelled my preorder on the 8X and ordered the 822. I know I'll be very happy with this phone until the next "amazing" WP8 phone comes along.

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    It still says will ship by the 13, so I think it will ship tommorow and we will all get them Wednesday, no?
    Its 2 day shipping so we get them Thursday.

Global Posts
    1,741 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thatotherdude24 View Post
    Its 2 day shipping so we get them Thursday.
    Unless your corporate contract is FedEx overnight like mine is. :)

Any idea when Best Buy will have the Nokia 822's in stock? I prefer buying through them to get the 30 Day return policy just in case.

I should still have the same warranty coverage through Verizon assuming I pay the monthly fee, correct?

Also, can Windows 8 Phones be used as 4G hotspots?

THanks in advance everyone.. cant wait to get the 822!

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Getintothegame View Post
    As the OP in your quote did, I also when to an AT&T store and compared the 820 to the 8X. This is what made me decide to switch, on top of the few problems that have been reported with reception and battery. Plus, the Nokia apps (which I've never been able to play with before) were pretty fun.

The 820's screen, though not as high of resolution as I'd like, is absolutely vibrant when compared to the 8X. Looking at the 8X with the 820 next to it, with the same theme and apps running, there's no comparison. The 8X looks washed out and the 820 pops. Very vibrant.

Some display enthusiasts may say that it is over saturated, but I personally think it just adds to the wow and pop factor of the phone. Immediately after this, I went home, cancelled my preorder on the 8X and ordered the 822. I know I'll be very happy with this phone until the next "amazing" WP8 phone comes along.
    Something was wrong then because the 8X screen is better looking in every way. Also, my 8X has great reception.

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Just came back from visiting my local Verizon Wireless store. The Reps there had no clue what HTC 8x was and told me that it probably wasn't available for pre order yet. I told him it was shipping out tomorrow and releases on the 15th and he had to check out his computer to verify and was completely surprised about the existence of the product.

Microsoft is doomed on Verizon if this what's going around

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Something was wrong then because the 8X screen is better looking in every way. Also, my 8X has great reception.
    I saw the same thing he did when I visited AT&T. The 820's display was more vibrant. Granted, the store had plenty of windows so the room was well lit, but it seems like the 8X washes out in the light. I think it has a lot to due with the AMOLED display. The LCD screen on the 8X just doesn't look as good to me. Still a nice phone, but the 820's AMOLED screen looked better.

Will the 822's unlocked price come down on Black Friday? I was thinking about buying it unlocked and then waiting until Feb/March to see if Verizon will get a higher end Nokia and then I can just extend my 2 year contract then.

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psustudent21 View Post
    Will the 822's unlocked price come down on Black Friday? I was thinking about buying it unlocked and then waiting until Feb/March to see if Verizon will get a higher end Nokia and then I can just extend my 2 year contract then.
    I can't imagine they'd drop the full retail price 1 week after the phone is released. Normally it takes at least a month or two for the price to budge.

Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Check your credit cards I was just charged about 3 hours ago!

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MacPhisto View Post
    I saw the same thing he did when I visited AT&T. The 820's display was more vibrant. Granted, the store had plenty of windows so the room was well lit, but it seems like the 8X washes out in the light. I think it has a lot to due with the AMOLED display. The LCD screen on the 8X just doesn't look as good to me. Still a nice phone, but the 820's AMOLED screen looked better.
    Maybe its the Clear Black tech working in the sunlight? In my poorly lit training room the 8X is a bit easier on the eyes, but I agree it Gets stomped out in the sun. My Intuitions screen is impossible to use in the sun.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    Daniel Rubino did an unboxing of the T-Mobile 810 and he said the screen is very nice despite the lower resolution.
    I agree I think the screen on the 8 X is much better then they 820 but that's only looking at it in the store I have yet to try it outside. I hope it doesn't get washed out in the sunshine like my trophy.

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Some exciting news for Verizon customers, 100% 3G/4G overlap is being bumped up to June 2013. I doubt we'll see any new markets pop up in 2013 until some glorious day in June when we kick on 4G nationwide. Then everyone who got a free iPhone 4 will be pissed.
    RSM for VZW
    Phone history: HTC Trophy, Droid Razr, Curve 9370, HTC Rezound, HTC 8X Blue, HTC 8X VZW Employee Edition, LG Intuition, Nokia Lumia 928 White, LG G2, Droid Ultra VZW Employee Edition, iPhone 5S
    Thanked by:
    tk-093 and hopmedic like this.

So talking to a VZW rep.. 8x shipping to stores for Nov 21st launch date. Irritating to say the least. Puts it in direct competition with the Droid DNA which was just announced, and is also available that day. Rep told me to call in on the 21st to process an early upgrade order, although they told me i might have to wait till the 26th to do it. :-/

Wonder if the hurricane caused this?
    ryan.kruger likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    Some exciting news for Verizon customers, 100% 3G/4G overlap is being bumped up to June 2013. I doubt we'll see any new markets pop up in 2013 until some glorious day in June when we kick on 4G nationwide. Then everyone who got a free iPhone 4 will be pissed.
    That will be nice! Hopefully they will improve reception at my house a bit by then.