Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdefuria View Post
    That's just it. They Didn't highlight the phone at all. All they gave us was a name and that's it. If Verizon had a premiere phone to compete against the lumia 920 and ATIV S, why wouldn't Verizon want to announced it more specifically to entice people to wait instead of trying out the lumia 920? Microsoft simply mentioned every WP8 device that was launching by year end. Is there one phone due out by year end the MS did not mention?
    Possibly - we just don't know. The 822 was not mentioned at Nokia's launch either. Verizon does not tend to let out much until the launch is darn close to imminent. They would not want Microsoft to even mention a cheap phone that would cause backlash. They are not stupid. Even announcing the 822 just a few weeks out is odd for them, though they had intended to launch earlier but Sandy did throw them off a bit.

Couple that in with the fact that the Odyssey name matches the name reported in court documents that included specs - dual core 1.5GHZ snapdragon and HD AMOLED screen with a 4.65" display. I'm sure the name is just a coincidence - just like Verizon calling the HTC 8X the Accord - it's development code name.

I am very sure the Odyssey is a high end device. In fact, there have been some hints that it will be the highest end device released for WP8, surpassing the 920. The buzz inside VZW is that there are some secret killer features. I don't know what they are, but Samsung and Verizon both worked on this one spec wise.

The Marco is the ultimate budget phone.

Right...and how exactly is stating the NAME of the device...no specs...no pictures....driving up expectations? It's obviously having the exact opposite impact on me. I have zero expectations for the Odyssey. Precisely because all they did was mention its name.
    A lot of people (including me) just assumed it was the ATIV S. Mentioning a name does create an expectation. They prefer not to have any mention if they can help it, but the rumor mills are always abuzz out there. They usually hate dates being assigned to because of the expectation there too - they have had many premiere phones delayed over the years.

It looks to me like Verizon rolls by designing custom phone chassis where I can only assume the primary goal is "how can we maximize the size and placement of our hideous logo?"
    They do like the branding, but they tend to prefer to make sure a phone functions well on the network with minimal signal loss. Their to priority is to make sure their customers are able the talk, text, and use the web about as flawlessly as possible. They spend a lot of money checking how their network and their competitor's function every year to make sure their network functions well and that they are always better than their competition. They understand the appeal of the phones, but they find the phones worthless if the network is no good or even mediocre. Their customers agree. They have the highest degree of customer loyalty in the business and have maintained high rates of growth without expensive exclusive phones.

Case in point was when I was using a friends' iPhone 5. They are AT&T. Here in the heart of Tampa Bay I was using the LTE connection and it dropped down to EDGE while I was sitting in a static location. It was jumping between EDGE, HSPA, and LTE. No consistency in a place they apparently have great coverage. Same place and my brother's Razr Maxx had full LTE bars from Verizon the whole way. This has not been isolated in my experience. When I was playing with a 920 at an AT&T store, it was not able to get LTE coverage and also dropped down to EDGE. I've talked to a lot of AT&T customers who say this is a much more frequent occurrence for them than it should be.

Yet my old Trophy for VZW never loses the 3G signal unless it loses everything when I'm out in the middle of nowhere - and even then it usually gets a signal.

That's how Verizon rolls. Network first. Don't go crazy hyping phones. Make sure the focus stays on the network and not on the phones. Whenever they display the superiority of their network in simple terms, they end up getting huge customer booms from people dissatisfied with their competitors.

All that said, the Odyssey will be a high end phone with a HD display.

Mr. MacPhisto,
    I am a long time Blackberry user looking to make the move to WP. Very interested in the high end "rumored" Samsung (Odyssey) phone. Curious to know how you get your information and how you are so confident that Verizon will have this high end phone in December.
    Convince me a Samsung high end WP will release on Verizon in December.
    The Nokia 822 and HTC 8X just don't do it for me but would be willing to pull the trigger (with reservations) on one of them.
    Thank you sir.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wknight View Post
    I am a long time Blackberry user looking to make the move to WP. Very interested in the high end "rumored" Samsung (Odyssey) phone...
    heh...I'm still rocking a Storm2 that has been off contract for about 5 months now. I specifically avoided upgrading when my contract was up so I can evaluate the Win Phone 8 devices. Even if the Odyssey is released in December and it's a premium device, i've decided to stick it out an additional month to see what BB10 will bring. The BB10 launch is Jan 30th...but no word yet on when devices will actually be available.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wknight View Post
    Mr. MacPhisto,
    I am a long time Blackberry user looking to make the move to WP. Very interested in the high end "rumored" Samsung (Odyssey) phone. Curious to know how you get your information and how you are so confident that Verizon will have this high end phone in December.
    Convince me a Samsung high end WP will release on Verizon in December.
    The Nokia 822 and HTC 8X just don't do it for me but would be willing to pull the trigger (with reservations) on one of them.
    Thank you sir.
    Contact in corporate sales that has given me info in the past pertaining Verizon's roadmap.

When the Odyssey was announced at the WP8 rollout, my source and many in the corporate sales end at VZW were surprised and they instantly thought it was a rebranded ATIV S. They knew they were supposed to be getting a high end Samsung device for WP8 and a low end one.

So then the FCC tests and the leaked image came out. The Verizon people made it known down the line to the corporate sales people that the leaked image was not the Odyssey but was the Marco, the entry level phone that is scheduled to be released at around the same time.

Both the Odyssey and Marco were mentioned in court documents Samsung filed in the Apple case. The Odyssey was spec'ed at 4.65" with HD AMOLED while the Marco was 4" SD AMOLED.

The leaked image and measured size are consistent with the description of the Samsung Marco. My source also has said that it is the Marco, likely to be offered as a free WP8 device. The Odyssey is something different. Talk inside VZW is that there are a few bells and whistles that may surprise but it is not known what they are. It also sounds like it is being tested by a third party (as is allowed by the FCC) to hide some of the info on it.

The date I was told was December 13. Release dates are very fluid, however. The launch WP8 devices had been scheduled to launch earlier initially. This is why Verizon tends to avoid announcing much more than a week out. The 822 was a bit different due to the WP8 launch event, but most of the time they prefer to give a week's notice, wanting the phone in their possession before they announce it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MacPhisto View Post
    Contact in corporate sales that has given me info in the past pertaining Verizon's roadmap.

When the Odyssey was announced at the WP8 rollout, my source and many in the corporate sales end at VZW were surprised and they instantly thought it was a rebranded ATIV S. They knew they were supposed to be getting a high end Samsung device for WP8 and a low end one.

So then the FCC tests and the leaked image came out. The Verizon people made it known down the line to the corporate sales people that the leaked image was not the Odyssey but was the Marco, the entry level phone that is scheduled to be released at around the same time.

Both the Odyssey and Marco were mentioned in court documents Samsung filed in the Apple case. The Odyssey was spec'ed at 4.65" with HD AMOLED while the Marco was 4" SD AMOLED.

The leaked image and measured size are consistent with the description of the Samsung Marco. My source also has said that it is the Marco, likely to be offered as a free WP8 device. The Odyssey is something different. Talk inside VZW is that there are a few bells and whistles that may surprise but it is not known what they are. It also sounds like it is being tested by a third party (as is allowed by the FCC) to hide some of the info on it.

The date I was told was December 13. Release dates are very fluid, however. The launch WP8 devices had been scheduled to launch earlier initially. This is why Verizon tends to avoid announcing much more than a week out. The 822 was a bit different due to the WP8 launch event, but most of the time they prefer to give a week's notice, wanting the phone in their possession before they announce it.
    Thank you for your insight. I plan to wait to see what the Samsung device has to offer. Please, should you hear any other information, post it as you have been doing. Thanks again.

I'm going to return my 8X in favor of this. I'll have to go back to my Trophy for a week or two, but that's okay. If this doesn't happen then I'll just get another 8X, I want the red one more than the black I have now anyway.
    snowmutt likes this.

Man, I am dying over here. I just bought a Samsung TV, Blu-Ray player, Let's go for the trifecta, But I don't wanna WAIT! Thanks for all the info so far, but I'm holding my breath and turning blue. (Which is the 8X I prefer)

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Looks like another week or two delay, if the report is correct, until the end of December for arrival of the ATIV S/Odyssey. I was hoping for the 13th but looking more like they might miss the holidays now.

Samsung Ativ S delayed yet again : The Droid Guy
    Thanked by:
    kyderr 

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seasurf View Post
    Looks like another week or two delay, if the report is correct, until the end of December for arrival of the ATIV S/Odyssey. I was hoping for the 13th but looking more like they might miss the holidays now.

Samsung Ativ S delayed yet again : The Droid Guy
    The Odyssey is not the ATIV S. Slightly smaller screen and form factor. I haven't heard anything concerning the date at this point beyond the December 13 one I got a few weeks ago.

That said, phone release dates are usually in flux until the end. There can be a constraint on a single part that can delay the entire handset. The Windows Phones were supposed to launch earlier than they did. I can tell you of about half a dozen times I know of where Android handsets were delayed, in some cases by many months (this happened with the Bionic, for instance). Even the Trophy was delayed by several weeks. It's not odd for any phone to be delayed, especially when they are announced before production has begun. Apple usually announced the iPhone when they are already in production. The WP8 devices were mostly announced ahead of production.

We'll know in about another week if the Odyssey was also delayed. The announcement should come around next Thursday or just after and Verizon might open up the phone for preorders. But they won't announce it until they actually have it.
    Thanked by:
    kyderr 

Long time reader, first time poster...

I'm interested in this phone as well, but I have a question... Will the reception be better? Since it's been stated that Samsung and Verizon are teaming up for this phone, are they working together so that the reception will be the best possible? I currently have a Samsung Fascinate Android phone, but looking to make the switch when my upgrade is available. I've been thinking the Nokia 822 since the reception seems to be the best on that phone from what I've read in other threads. I travel up and down mountains daily so I lose reception regularly with my current phone, but I see other people on their phone when I have no signal. So, I'm hoping the reception will at least be a little better.

I think it would be tough to make a call on reception yet. We're still awaiting a verified list of features for the phone.
    aubreyq likes this.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kyderr View Post
    I think it would be tough to make a call on reception yet. We're still awaiting a verified list of features for the phone.
    Yeah, this phone has to be OUT before anyone can make any decisions on anything. I mean, maybe some bloggers have it and are under an NDA, but to the general public the Odyssey technically doesn't exist!

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Are we going to get any news on this phone anytime soon?

They have been real hush on the details, which in my opinion means one of two things. A. They are not near release, and it hasn't even hit manufacturing yet. Or B. All the companies and vendors involved have decided for the first time in history, to not leak ANY details on the device.

Being I dropped my phone last night and it's getting held together with spit and bailing wire, I think it's A. because that would mean more pain for me, and that make sense. From a profitability standpoint, one would want to get it released before Christmas. But there is the after Christmas blah season, where people might want a new device. I really want to see this device soon. Or at least, an official announcement with specs so I can hold out until then. As it is now, this forum is the only thing keeping hope alive.

Here's hoping we hear something today or tomorrow.

That would be nice, I want to see what this phone looks like so I can decide which one to get on Verizon.

I am so past looks. Give me the features I want. Looks are great, but I need to be sure that it will work for me going forward.... No news so far. I am amazed there are no leaks on this device, pricing or anything. If it's so close to launch, this is a bad sign.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kyderr View Post
    If it's so close to launch, this is a bad sign.
    emphasis on If. I really doubt they're going to just drop this on the market all of the sudden without anyone seeing it coming. They're probably not going to make launch this year and just don't want anyone to know about it until after christmas.

I suspect that to be the case. But that's inconvenient for me. I'm duct taping my HTC Touch Pro 2 together....

MacPhisto - any word from your sources on the 12th still?

Global Posts
    488 Global Posts

Different phone...

Quote Originally Posted by Booston View Post
    I am very interested in knowing this as well. Hopefully that horrible "leaked" image of the Verizon Ativ Odyssey is NOT accurate. Hopefully it is an entry-level free device and Verizon will offer a high-end, flagship-worthy device.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Booston View Post
    I haven't heard anything, so don't know what that means. Part of it is due to the season - very busy for my friend at VZW. The date I had heard was the 13th. It was also said at the WP8 launch that the phone was coming in December, but I don't know if Samsung's delays are across the board on WP8.

Verizon will sometimes just drop a phone into their stores and online marketplace with no notice or only a few days notice for preorders. But manufacturer delays are not uncommon. It's why they try to avoid announcing phones too far ahead. Verizon's policy is not to promote a phone until they have it in hand. If Samsung doesn't deliver the phone to them until next Wednesday, then Verizon will just drop it into the store on Thursday morning.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    As much as everyone says the ATIV S is a different phone than the Odyssey, with respect to the delays this is irrelevant. The primary reason for ATIV S delay is that it shares the same screen as GS3 & Samsung is opting to push out more GS3 rather than produce WP8. Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought the ATIV Odyssey was going to use the same screen as ATIV S, which would screw over both phones.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast