Samsung ATIV Odyssey for Verizon

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Yup. WMPowerUser is claiming that the Odyssey is a 4.65" device, but look at it. It's definitely 4 inch. IF it isn't, then that is a GIANT Verizon logo!

Also the thickness of it. And how it looks like a baby ATIV S.

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
So I had a very interesting conversation with an online rep from verizon. Aside from pointing out all the mistakes they made on the 822 and the 8x specs on their website, I asked her about the Samsung. She had no info. So then I asked what the return policy was. And I quote
J. : Hmm. How long after I receive the phone do I have to return it if I am unhappy with it?
Jacqueline: You have 14 days to return the phone.
J. : Is it a full refund? Would I get my new every two credit back?
Jacqueline: Yes you would get everything back.
J. : Is it returnable to the store, or is it shipped back?
Jacqueline: Either way.

Note, no restocking fee and I get my new every two back. Now I've been lied to by the online reps many a time, so I get everything in writing now.

jdefuria

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
For the love of all that's good an holy!

Verizon is doing everything in its power to get me to switch. The ONLY reason I am still on Verizon is because that's the only carrier that gets a signal at my house. Now, however, I will seriously consider putting in an ATT Microcell in my home to remove Verizon's only advantage.

If it turns out that this turd of a phone (the leaked picture) is actually what Verizon will be releasing in December as the Samsung WP 8 device....then I'm gone. I can't take it any more.

My wife and I are living with Blackberry Storm 2 phones for cripe's sake! we've been going off countract for several months now...waiting PATIENTLY for the so-called "big WP8 support push from Verizon."

big push my arse!! All I see them pushing (advertising) is still the Android devices. Aren't they having another big event this week for some droid phone? I don't believe verizon had any kind of WP8 event or launch. They have ONE "decent" phone in the ir launch line up...the HTC 8X. But it's overpriced by at least $50.

We stopped in an ATT store this weekend. If the Lumia 920 was on Verizon, my widfe and I would have new phones today. If the verizon Odyssey is a true high end (4.5" plus screen, Galaxy SIII type phone), we will probably pick that up. If the Samsung phone that verizon releases is a 4" device and as butt-ugly as the leaked pic?!

I will have no other choice than to think that Verizon is pruposely trying to sabotage Windows Phone 8. There can be no other logical explanation.

Oh yeah...I could always wait unti the "quad core" phone show up "by easter". Right....as if I have any confidence that their quad core line-up would be any less farked up than this pathetic launch line-up.

WAKE THE FARK UP, VERIZON!

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
For the love of all that's good an holy!

Verizon is doing everything in its power to get me to switch. The ONLY reason I am still on Verizon is because that's the only carrier that gets a signal at my house. Now, however, I will seriously consider putting in an ATT Microcell in my home to remove Verizon's only advantage.

If it turns out that this turd of a phone (the leaked picture) is actually what Verizon will be releasing in December as the Samsung WP 8 device....then I'm gone. I can't take it any more.

My wife and I are living with Blackberry Storm 2 phones for cripe's sake! we've been going off countract for several months now...waiting PATIENTLY for the so-called "big WP8 support push from Verizon."

big push my arse!! All I see them pushing (advertising) is still the Android devices. Aren't they having another big event this week for some droid phone? I don't believe verizon had any kind of WP8 event or launch. They have ONE "decent" phone in the ir launch line up...the HTC 8X. But it's overpriced by at least $50.

We stopped in an ATT store this weekend. If the Lumia 920 was on Verizon, my widfe and I would have new phones today. If the verizon Odyssey is a true high end (4.5" plus screen, Galaxy SIII type phone), we will probably pick that up. If the Samsung phone that verizon releases is a 4" device and as butt-ugly as the leaked pic?!

I will have no other choice than to think that Verizon is pruposely trying to sabotage Windows Phone 8. There can be no other logical explanation.

Oh yeah...I could always wait unti the "quad core" phone show up "by easter". Right....as if I have any confidence that their quad core line-up would be any less farked up than this pathetic launch line-up.

WAKE THE FARK UP, VERIZON!

One decent phone? Have you looked at the 822's specs? That's a pretty decent phone.

AT&T usually does get the better phones to start. Said it many times, Verizon is about the network, not about the phones as much. They don't want to subsidize them like AT&T does because they want to invest that money in improving their network instead.

The $99 Lumia 920 reveals all that is wrong with AT&T and also shows why Verizon doesn't get a phone like the 920 to start - because they would want to charge at least $199 for it. Manufacturers like heavily subsidized phones because they move faster, but the carriers end up paying a lot up front for them.

Verizon's philosophy is why their network is way ahead of every one else's. They are less than a year from full LTE roll out and about a year or so out from ramping up their LTE speeds.

jdefuria

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Because this isn't actually the Odyssey?

Verizon is supposed to be getting two Samsung WP8 devices. A low end device that will cater primarily to prepaid customers, though they may still offer it as a free or dirt cheap device on a two year contract. The Odyssey is supposed to be on the higher end.

Can I ask where it has ever been revealed or hinted that the "Odyssey" is suppossed to be on the higher end?

All I can ever remember being officially stated is that the Odyssey is due in December. No specs, nothing. For that metter, no official word or hint of 2 Samsung devices being available either. Just one device. Odyssey.

I hope you are correct in that Samsung will have two devices (one for low end and one for high end.) However, with the leaks now starting to surfacing combined with Verizon's track record, I have to believe one of two things is going to happen:

1) Odyssey is s low or mid-range 4" phone, exactly as pictured in the leaked pics. It will be released in december with little to no fan-fare. Just like the rest of Verizon's WP8 line-up. There will be no high-end Samsung device launched.

2) Same as 1, but a true high-end will come some time "next year."

Personally, I'm putting my stock in option 1.:mad:

jdefuria

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
One decent phone? Have you looked at the 822's specs? That's a pretty decent phone.

Yes. Once decent phone. 822's stying is complete and utter boring crap based on the pics I've seen. Especially for the price verizon wants for it. Why couldn't they just stick with the STANDARD 820 design!? It's like verizon is purposely trying to fark up its line-up!!!

AT&T usually does get the better phones to start.

When it comes to Windows phones...let me rephrase this for you: "AT&T always has the better phones. Period. Verizon doesn't get them. Not just doesn't get them "to start". Doesn't get them. Ever."

Said it many times, Verizon is about the network, not about the phones as much.

Ya think? Has verizon considered that the customer experience is a combination of BOTH network AND phones?

The $99 Lumia 920 reveals all that is wrong with AT&T...

Though it just so happens that all that is "wrong" with AT&T is what is going to get me to switch. Me and my other two family members.

and also shows why Verizon doesn't get a phone like the 920 to start - because they would want to charge at least $199 for it. Manufacturers like heavily subsidized phones because they move faster, but the carriers end up paying a lot up front for them.

That's all well and good. But then this philosophy does NOT MESH with your insistence that Verizon is doing some big WP8 push. I believe you have said that Verizon want to wean off of Android to an extent because that ecosystem is relatively expensive to carry / maintain? Well then they NEED TO PUSH WP8 DEVICES at least at the beginning to start to move consumers. I see exactly ZERO evidence that this is happening.

Verizon's philosophy is why their network is way ahead of every one else's. They are less than a year from full LTE roll out and about a year or so out from ramping up their LTE speeds.

That's great...though me and my family are less than 2 months away from switching to AT&T because your WP8 line-up is CRAP.

Last edited:

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Can I ask where it has ever been revealed or hinted that the "Odyssey" is suppossed to be on the higher end?

All I can ever remember being officially stated is that the Odyssey is due in December. No specs, nothing. For that metter, no official word or hint of 2 Samsung devices being available either. Just one device. Odyssey.
Should note that @evleaks did tweet that the "ATIV Odyssey" we're seeing is in fact not based on the Odyssey chassis we saw leaked, and ev has a pretty much spotless track record.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Should note that @evleaks did tweet that the "ATIV Odyssey" we're seeing is in fact not based on the Odyssey chassis we saw leaked, and ev has a pretty much spotless track record.

I've heard word that that leaked image is the free phone coming to Verizon, but it is the previously rumored Marco device. 5MP camera, 4" AMOLED at 800x480, 4GB of storage on board, microSD expansion, 512MB RAM, 1Ghz dual core.

Was told it is not the Odyssey. Both are likely to be available in mid-December. Also hearing that Verizon will be getting a version of the HTC 8S with 8GB storage instead of 4GB that will price in the $50 range on contract.

The Odyssey is a "premium" device with an HD AMOLED display, which had already been rumored. Was told that it is Samsung's answer to the Lumia 920, so the hint is that it may have some of that camera tech, like a BSI sensor as found on the Galaxy.

16GB for $199, 32GB for $249.

Very possible that Verizon will have SIX Windows Phones by January 1.

Also my contact has claimed to have seen the HTC Zenith in a prototype demo. Apparently has the same 5" 1920x1080 display as found on the Droid DNA - that may be subject to change. They haven't decided on the storage yet, though it appears to have microSD expansion and may be waterproof like the Butterfly J in Japan.

They are awaiting prototypes from Nokia for the 1000 series quad-core as well, expected with 12MP and OIS.

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Why must you keep teasing me with new info? Coupled with Verizon's lackluster launch timing of the red 8X is making me wonder if I should wait for the Odyssey. If the red was available in store tomorrow I'd jump on it, but as it is, I don't know.

BlackWindow8

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I've heard word that that leaked image is the free phone coming to Verizon, but it is the previously rumored Marco device. 5MP camera, 4" AMOLED at 800x480, 4GB of storage on board, microSD expansion, 512MB RAM, 1Ghz dual core.

Was told it is not the Odyssey. Both are likely to be available in mid-December. Also hearing that Verizon will be getting a version of the HTC 8S with 8GB storage instead of 4GB that will price in the $50 range on contract.

The Odyssey is a "premium" device with an HD AMOLED display, which had already been rumored. Was told that it is Samsung's answer to the Lumia 920, so the hint is that it may have some of that camera tech, like a BSI sensor as found on the Galaxy.

Very possible that Verizon will have SIX Windows Phones by January 1.

Also my contact has claimed to have seen the HTC Zenith in a prototype demo. Apparently has the same 5" 1920x1080 display as found on the Droid DNA - that may be subject to change. They haven't decided on the storage yet, though it appears to have microSD expansion and may be waterproof like the Butterfly J in Japan.

They are awaiting prototypes from Nokia for the 1000 series quad-core as well, expected with 12MP and OIS.

Not happening

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Why must you keep teasing me with new info? Coupled with Verizon's lackluster launch timing of the red 8X is making me wonder if I should wait for the Odyssey. If the red was available in store tomorrow I'd jump on it, but as it is, I don't know.

I can't remember if it was Honestabebread or someone else, but the talk was that red will be in the stores on Black Friday (ironic, eh?). I don't really get any info on colors, just phone info.

I can understand not wanting to wait. I just thought I'd share. Told my contact that the Odyssey looked disappointing. VZW knew of the leaked image and he was told by his superiors that the leaked image was not the Odyssey, but the low-end Marco. That name will probably stick.

The ATIV name is not supposed to be attached to the low-end phone. Samsung wants the ATIV Windows 8 branding to have some quality associated with it, so while it does share some of the looks of the ATIV line, don't expect it to share the name.

Most of this stuff came out in the Apple court case anyways. Both the Odyssey and Marco are coming to VZW. I'm surprised all the tech sites jumped on the pictures and forgot about the Samsung Marco.

It sounds like the 8S is also coming in December.

So if this does prove true, if Verizon ends up having a high-end Samsung with a HD display (Odyssey), the HTC 8X, the Lumia 822, the HTC 8S with 8GB storage, and the Samsung Marco with 4GB by the middle of December, will anyone be doubting their commitment to WP8? Let's see if it does happen, but I think most of it will.

I miscounted too. It's five phones by January 1. Still, five WP8 devices within a month and a half or so of launch versus 1 WP7 device over a two year span.

pavlovscow

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

Hmmm. Interesting. Guess I'm holding out for an official announcement again.

Being a premium phone would restore my faith in Verizon and Samsung, honestly. My gripe wasn't that Verizon didn't get the 920. My gripe was that with the ATIV available, getting another mediocre WP phone was a slap in the faces of all us fans.

Now if I assume based on rumor the premium option is back in play, that is not the ATIV S, with a 4.65 screen, and a fancier camera to compete with the Lumina 920, my hope is that its the Samsung Galaxy camera with a new sexy phone body and smaller cmos sensor.

A 8-12 mp bsi camera would be awesome. But if its a middle tier product I'll be back here complaining. ;)

Joe Norris

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I would LOVE it if the Odyssey is just the ATIV S with a Verizon logo on it and a better camera or something else to differentiate it.

I love the design of the ATIV S. Samsung please keep it the same for Verizon!

jdefuria

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Mr. MacPhisto said:
So if this does prove true, if Verizon ends up having a high-end Samsung with a HD display (Odyssey), the HTC 8X, the Lumia 822, the HTC 8S with 8GB storage, and the Samsung Marco with 4GB by the middle of December, will anyone be doubting their commitment to WP8? Let's see if it does happen, but I think most of it will.

As it stands, I went into a Verizon store yesterday, and they had ZERO WP8 devices on hand and said "check back on the 27th". Seriously! Talk about lack of commitment. As a comparison....last weekend I walked into an AT&T store and was able to try out both a Lumia 820 and 920. My local best by also had an AT&T branded HTC 8X.

We are now PAST the official launch date for the Verizon WP8 devices, and I have yet to walk into any store and actually hold one in my hand. I will try a couple other stores today and see what happens.

As for your specific predictions? I predict there will be NO HTC 8S for verizon at all. AFAIK, the 8S does not have an LTE radio. I can't see Verizon stocking one unelss they are able to get a version with LTE. I am going to continue to assume that Verizon will not have a "high end" Samsung WP8 device this year.

So my own prediction (based on zero inside information, but only historical trends), is that Verizon's line-up through the end of this year will be the 822, 8X and "mid range" Samsung "Odyssey"

I would absolutley LOVE to eat some crow on my own prediction. Really, I hope you are right Mr. MacPhisto...but Verizon has me so jaded that I will refuse to believe it until I see it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte