Why no love for the ATIV S?

L111

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I had a Lumia 710 a while ago, loved it, but it was just too slow so I bought a Samsung S3.. Now the Windows 8 devices are a lot faster I'm going to switch back.. The ATIV S is the one that has caught my eye so far, to be honest all the devices seem pretty similar (same processor, same ram, 'same' screen res), but the Samsung has the larger screen (yet is only a tiny bit bigger than the 8X), and has the expandable storage.

But on all the Windows 8 fan sites, no-one seems to care about it.. The only benefits I can see for the other devices are 4G (not on my network), wireless charging (honestly couldnt care less), and better camera (never used my phone for a camera).. Are there any other big features I'd be missing by going to the Samsung?

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I had a Lumia 710 a while ago, loved it, but it was just too slow so I bought a Samsung S3.. Now the Windows 8 devices are a lot faster I'm going to switch back.. The ATIV S is the one that has caught my eye so far, to be honest all the devices seem pretty similar (same processor, same ram, 'same' screen res), but the Samsung has the larger screen (yet is only a tiny bit bigger than the 8X), and has the expandable storage.

But on all the Windows 8 fan sites, no-one seems to care about it.. The only benefits I can see for the other devices are 4G (not on my network), wireless charging (honestly couldnt care less), and better camera (never used my phone for a camera).. Are there any other big features I'd be missing by going to the Samsung?

Because Samsung hasn't taken off the gloves yet. Once that happens, look the eff out.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
It's the only phone I actually want, but since it's not coming to Verizon I will have to settle for the 8X.. at least for a few weeks when they announce their December device.. then I can decide if I want to keep the 8X or not.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I really like the ATIV S. I think I'll opt for the 920, but I have to admit that the ATIV S is very tempting. The HTC's aren't doing it for me. I guess I've lost faith in their build quality and customer service, which is off-putting.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I love me some ATIV. But there isn't a ton of excitement for it. Sammy will show how serious they are about WP8 when they launch it on Verizon. I think it will be an amazing device. I am going to get a Nokia, and the decision was made for me with the decision to take it to Big Red and not AT&T. I was really up in the air, thinking all WP 8 devices would make the Evil Empire. But, I am really looking excitedly to see it work it's magic at a Verizon store when it is released.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Since the Ativ S is the largest screen and not the highest resolution, you will have less dpi than L920. 332 vs 306, but some people can not tell the difference.

As mentioned the resolution of L920 is 1280x768 and Samsung is 1280x720. You may see black letter box bars around some WP7 applications because the 720 resolution is not in scale with 800x480. You will see more content browsing the web with 768. However, in the OS itself, you will see a little more content in list items like in your mailbox and a little more view of the last tiles on your home screen. (Go Figure) There have been posts explaining this phenomenon.

Camera is not your concern.

With HTC you get Beats audio, with Ativ S you do not have this.

The screen tech of the Ative S is Pentile while it is RGB in the Lumia 920 ann 8X. The screen refresh rate of the L920 also outperforms all(WP8,iOS,Adroid) platforms.

However you make a good choice with the Ativ S.

+ You get the largest screen of any WP8, which enhances gaming and media consumption. (esp with new titles comming from Gameloft)

+ The ATIV S is the only (current) WP8 with a microSD. Want to have multiple 5GB movies on your phone and songs for days.., you got it.

+The ATIV S has the largest battery which is removable/upgradable.

+The ATIV S is the only (current) WP8 with a physical home button. (eliminates accidental home presses)

+Arguably the ATIV S has the best professional look with brushed alumium. (Build quality may not be its best feature as pieces will fly if it is dropped)

But I envy that you get that choice. I am with AT&T, and don't seem to have that choice as I kindof wanted something bigger than 4.5".

LightBulbIT

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
This all started...

when people had problems getting updates, no exclusive apps, and no additional support after everybody bought the Focus 2 (remember that?) and they just dropped it. Not so with Nokia. Nokia has made efforts to earn loyalty, and has not followed the "Android" support plan (don't support your phones after release and if you need to put out new features, release a new phone).

L111

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughts so far. One downside I've just realised: The only reason I want SD card support is to put my music on, yet the Samsung seems to be the only one without an equaliser? Is this correct??

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I personally feel "insulted" that the Ativ is pretty much a carbon copy of the S3, but running WP8 with a slightly altered design. Yes, it still makes the Ativ a "premium" phone, but the S3 has been out for quite a long time, and we all know that in cell phone years, half a year is considered teetering on no longer being premium, while a year is now out of its prime.

So essentially, buying a 6-7 month old phone that happens to be running WP8 does not come off as appealing to me.

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I didn't like the ergonomics or size of the Galaxy S III so by extension it is highly unlikely that I would like the Ativ S. While it may have great specs and be the perfect device for a lot of people, it just isn't for me. I will say that it's nice to be seeing so many great options out there at launch.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've had a Samsung Focus and been quite happy with it. I think Samsung builds good hardware. But I am leaning towards Nokia due to their investment in the platform.

But until I see them all in person, I really don't know which will catch my eye. But based on what I see so far, I like the 920.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I really like the ATIV S. I think I'll opt for the 920, but I have to admit that the ATIV S is very tempting. The HTC's aren't doing it for me. I guess I've lost faith in their build quality and customer service, which is off-putting.

Your saying Samsung has better build quality than HTC lol that's funny.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I personally feel "insulted" that the Ativ is pretty much a carbon copy of the S3, but running WP8 with a slightly altered design. Yes, it still makes the Ativ a "premium" phone, but the S3 has been out for quite a long time, and we all know that in cell phone years, half a year is considered teetering on no longer being premium, while a year is now out of its prime.

So essentially, buying a 6-7 month old phone that happens to be running WP8 does not come off as appealing to me.

Grabbing a 8x then? Waiting until the next round?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

6-7 month old phone? All WP8 phones have the same guts. If the ATIV is old then the 920 and 8x is old too.

AndroidJay

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
The ATIV S is to much like the S3. Will it break easy too? They did torcher tests and the S3 breaks to easy, while the Lumia 900 fared very well with drops. Granted a good case might protect your investment, but covering up such a beautiful device.

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
i like the screen size of the ativ but i havent heard much about it since it was announced. im also curios about the pricepoint for it as well

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs