Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    Yeah, I tried to convince my wife. She pulled out the old "call so and so, they have ATT" argument. Well, I did. They're not happy with the coverage around here at all. So I guess the map does lie. :-(

I wish there were a way to get a GSM phone to work on Verizon's network.... =/
    You and me Both! i frequently like the actual devices on AT&T much better even if i find tham as sleazy to deal with as verizon.

Yeah, I tried to convince my wife. She pulled out the old "call so and so, they have ATT" argument. Well, I did. They're not happy with the coverage around here at all. So I guess the map does lie. :-(

To be fair the phone does matter too. If they have phones that typically get good reception and still say it's not great then I understand, but maybe they have sub-par devices in terms of phone reception, then it's a different ballgame.

Yeah, Nokia blew it on this one. I guess they needed the cash. I would not blame Verizon, in the end Nokia wanted enhanced advertising or monetary incentives that Verizon would not provide and made the conscious decision to go with AT&T instead. We know this as the 822 is on Verizon so its not a political thing. This is all on Nokia IMO.

You should do what I am doing. Buy nothing and wait.

Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    Yeah, Nokia blew it on this one. I guess they needed the cash. I would not blame Verizon, in the end Nokia wanted enhanced advertising or monetary incentives that Verizon would not provide and made the conscious decision to go with AT&T instead. We know this as the 822 is on Verizon so its not a political thing. This is all on Nokia IMO.

I want to switch... But I think for the first time ever I'm going to be patient with my upgrade and see what htc/Nokia/Microsoft come up with for verizon.

Until then, my lame iPhone will have to do.

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts

Ahh, so it was Nokia who "chose" to go exclusive with the L920, and will most probably sell fewer phones and make less money as a result. Yeah, I am sure that was a part of their master plan, to sell less and make less. Think it's time to realize who controls the Smartphone market in the US. Aside from Apple that is.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502

Quote Originally Posted by jimski View Post
    Ahh, so it was Nokia who "chose" to go exclusive with the L920, and will most probably sell fewer phones and make less money as a result. Yeah, I am sure that was a part of their master plan, to sell less and make less. Think it's time to realize who controls the Smartphone market in the US. Aside from Apple that is.
    I would venture to say yes it was most likely Nokia. If Verizon were the culprit, why would they stock the 822 at all? Perhaps AT&T offered them a deal they could not refuse, like a massive gratis advertising campaign or prominent product placement that they felt they needed?

I just don't see the logic in Verizon accepting a mid-end phone but refusing a high-end phone.

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

Isn't there a 14 day return period? If so what is the risk? I ask because I'm really considering bringing my wife and in-laws over to AT&T. If the coverage isn't there I would absolutely return them...would need to in order to keep the happy wife/happy life.

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkr11 View Post
    Isn't there a 14 day return period? If so what is the risk? I ask because I'm really considering bringing my wife and in-laws over to AT&T. If the coverage isn't there I would absolutely return them...would need to in order to keep the happy wife/happy life.
    There is but I am not sure how well that works out porting numbers and over and what not. I would ask all the carriers involved first. Verizon would probably consider it a cancellation of the contract and then you would need to get a new one from them upon returning. But that's just my guess. Usually when I asked the store about that they said I should try with a assigned number from AT&T and have my calls forwarded from the old phone and then if I like it then port the numbers over.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts

I think AT&T offered Nokia a lot of cash for exclusivity with the 920 which Verizon wasn't willing to do. This is all speculation though because the bottom line is AT&T has the 920 and us Verizon customers have the 8X and Lumia 822 to choose from no matter how upset we are about it.

I would venture to say yes it was most likely Nokia. If Verizon were the culprit, why would they stock the 822 at all? Perhaps AT&T offered them a deal they could not refuse, like a massive gratis advertising campaign or prominent product placement that they felt they needed?

I just don't see the logic in Verizon accepting a mid-end phone but refusing a high-end phone.
    I think this makes the most sense. I'm sure that Verizon was interested in the 920 (after all, they are, as you said, carrying the 822). I'm guessing that AT&T offered to promote the **** out of the 920 and sell it for cheap in exchange for the exclusive. Verizon probably made the business decision that they didn't want to give a sweetheart deal like that to Nokia. It takes 2 sides to make a deal, and Nokia took the better offer. Nothing wrong with that on either side.

But don't tell that to the "Blame Nokia!" or the "Blame Verizon!" crowds.

Even if the the 920/922 was on Verizon, it would be double or triple the price of AT&T anyway! lol
    I love selling WP8 to my friends and colleagues!

Quote Originally Posted by db4williams View Post
    Even if the the 920/922 was on Verizon, it would be double or triple the price of AT&T anyway! lol
    Why? The 8X on VZW is the exact same price as the AT&T version. And you could argue that it's better since it has the wireless charging.

Quote Originally Posted by thed View Post
    Why? The 8X on VZW is the exact same price as the AT&T version. And you could argue that it's better since it has the wireless charging.
    Looks like the AT&T 8X will have wireless charging too.

AT&T HTC 8X also having wireless charging built-in? | WMPoweruser
  14.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkr11 View Post
    There is, but it's a pain. And why bother if I know friends who have trouble with reception. I had looked at the map yesterday and got my hopes up before calling any of them to see if their reception had improved. My pastor, and others at church on ATT have to walk outside to the parking lot in order to talk on the phone at church. A couple of them are on iPhones, but a several are on Samsung Focus as well. I've managed to get more than 10% of my church on Windows Phones. *pats self on back* :)

Quote Originally Posted by pjs37 View Post
    There is but I am not sure how well that works out porting numbers and over and what not. I would ask all the carriers involved first. Verizon would probably consider it a cancellation of the contract and then you would need to get a new one from them upon returning. But that's just my guess. Usually when I asked the store about that they said I should try with a assigned number from AT&T and have my calls forwarded from the old phone and then if I like it then port the numbers over.
    You can port over and port back, but it's a pain. You will get charged the ETF if you're still on contract, and then you'll have to deal with the customer retention department to get them to waive it, and get your original contract end date back, blah blah blah. Last year, when I got sick of waiting on Verizon, first I ported my wife and her son over to Spring when Arrive came out, but their reception was pathetic so we switched back. Then when I needed a phone in order to test an app I was working on, I ported just my number to ATT, but ported back two weeks later when Trophy came out. It was a big pain. That's why I don't want to take the leap unless I know it's going to work out.

I'm not pointing the finger at either or both. I don't care which one carries the greatest blame. Neither of them is going to get any sale from me until they give me what I want, and what I want is the camera (or better) that is in the 920. Until then, I'll be sitting here with Trophy, because now that I see what is possible, I know that I won't be satisfied with less, so I'm not going to waste a two year contract on less. I'm disgusted with both of them that they can't work out a deal that will benefit customers that will make money for both of them.

I'm just holding onto the hope that Nokia has had to focus on getting the 920 out all over the world. That and the ATT exclusivity period it's just taking time to crank out a batch of 920s with CDMA, etc. for the Verizon network.

I'll be hanging onto my Trophy until after the new year. After that I'll probably get the 8X, but I really want all the extras of a 920.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fwaits View Post
    Looks like the AT&T 8X will have wireless charging too.

AT&T HTC 8X also having wireless charging built-in? | WMPoweruser
    No, they've removed that from the page already.

Global Posts
    1,773 Global Posts

Yes, yes it was Nokia who chose to go exclusive. It is part of their master plan. It's been known for a while.
    http://winsupersite.com/blog/supersi...trategy-144433

Quote Originally Posted by thed View Post
    I was just being a bit sarcastic regarding the pricing of the Lumia models on VZW compared to AT&T that's all. ;)
    I love selling WP8 to my friends and colleagues!

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I stopped by the ATT store today just to check out what we are missing by being with Verizon. Short answer: a s*** ton!

The 920 is absolutely stunning, it feels so substantial (not heavy!) in your hands, and the whole "phone ways too much" is completely overblown even with the security connector attached to the back of it, it wasn't any heavier than a first gen iPhone or OG Droid (both of which I've had). These reviewers on the tech blogs must really actually want WP8 to fail because there is no reason to harp on the weight. It's a non-issue! The screen is drop dead gorgeous with inky blacks and popping colors, and the camera appeared to have taken some nice shots in the store when I tried it out. Plus, one thing Nokia has always been good at, is making phones with great reception and call quality. I'm anxious to hear about that aspect of it.

Anyway, for the first time in a long time, I'm seriously considering going back to ATT for this phone. It's that freaking gorgeous and we can all talk up the 8X all we want, but the fact of the matter is that it has a smaller screen and less memory for $100 more on 2-year contract than the 920.

Global Posts
    1,773 Global Posts
    If you're on AT&T I would agree the 920 is a no brainer against the 8X.. a no brainer.

However, if you have to justify the weight by comparing it to the original iPhone and Droid then I don't know... I don't know.... :)

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post

However, if you have to justify the weight by comparing it to the original iPhone and Droid then I don't know... I don't know.... :)
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not justifying the weight issue. Just pointing out that two well regarded phones are just as "heavy" if not heavier and that it is in fact a non-issue despite the reviewers all acting like they're breaking their backs lifting the damn thing.

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    You can port over and port back, but it's a pain. You will get charged the ETF if you're still on contract, and then you'll have to deal with the customer retention department to get them to waive it, and get your original contract end date back, blah blah blah. Last year, when I got sick of waiting on Verizon, first I ported my wife and her son over to Spring when Arrive came out, but their reception was pathetic so we switched back. Then when I needed a phone in order to test an app I was working on, I ported just my number to ATT, but ported back two weeks later when Trophy came out. It was a big pain. That's why I don't want to take the leap unless I know it's going to work out.
    Thanks for clarifying that. I figured it would be a pain in the tookus.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12