Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

There has been some discussion if the Verizon Nokia Lumia 822 requires a separate purchase of a wireless charging enabled battery door/back plate to enable wireless charging with the charging plate like the 820 does. Well, I believe that question has now been resolved.

I just went to my local Verizon store on my break and checked out the 822 (BTW looks way better in person than the pics we've all seen online and more slim too). I talked to the rep about the wireless charging feature and he didn't know either. So, we took the battery door/back plate off of the floor model and behold, there were contact pins attached to the back plate coming from where a large, slightly raised black square area of it. So actually all you need to make the wireless charging work is the wireless charging plate!
    I love selling WP8 to my friends and colleagues!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    I bought a white 822 this morning and my rrp told me the same thing. Like you said looking at the back cover it looks set up for it already.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    I bought a charging plate but when I put my 822 on it, nothing happens. I'll play around with it some more, but I think we may need a new back cover.

EDIT: The User Guide is available on Nokia's website and it says that the back cover with wireless charging is sold separately as well. See here: http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/p..._822_UG_en.pdf
    Last edited by spiff_p239; 11-15-2012 at 01:24 PM.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,744 Global Posts
    Yeah, I saw that and wondered. With all the stuff I read I was pretty convinced it would not have it. That's awesome.

If you look at the other side, there are 4 contact pins. What are those i wonder?

EDIT: Oh, maybe it doesn't work...

Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spiff_p239 View Post
    I bought a charging plate but when I put my 822 on it, nothing happens. I'll play around with it some more, but I think we may need a new back cover.
    what kind of charging plate.

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by madisonjar View Post
    what kind of charging plate.
    A black Nokia Wireless Charger (part # DT-900).

Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    Yeah, I saw that and wondered. With all the stuff I read I was pretty convinced it would not have it. That's awesome.

If you look at the other side, there are 4 contact pins. What are those i wonder?

EDIT: Oh, maybe it doesn't work...
    I wonder of there is a setting that you need to toggle to enable wireless charging. Otherwise what is the circuitry and pins for on the backplate/battery door?

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by db4williams View Post
    I wonder of there is a setting that you need to toggle to enable wireless charging. Otherwise what is the circuitry and pins for on the backplate/battery door?
    My guess is that it's for the NFC. If you look in the User Guide (I added a link to it in a previous post), the NFC contact point is in the vicinity of the camera. As a note, I do have NFC enabled on my phone.

Global Posts
    2,414 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by db4williams View Post
    There has been some discussion if the Verizon Nokia Lumia 822 requires a separate purchase of a wireless charging enabled battery door/back plate to enable wireless charging with the charging plate like the 820 does. Well, I believe that question has now been resolved.

I just went to my local Verizon store on my break and checked out the 822 (BTW looks way better in person than the pics we've all seen online and more slim too). I talked to the rep about the wireless charging feature and he didn't know either. So, we took the battery door/back plate off of the floor model and behold, there were contact pins attached to the back plate coming from where a large, slightly raised black square area of it. So actually all you need to make the wireless charging work is the wireless charging plate!
    Thanks for the info Patience is not my long suit either especially in slow moving traffic.
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!

Global Posts
    1,744 Global Posts
    Ahh, the two pins are for the NFC stuff which obviously is built into the phone/cover and the four pins must be for the wireless charging, which needs a new cover..... maybe.

Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spiff_p239 View Post

EDIT: The User Guide is available on Nokia's website and it says that the back cover with wireless charging is sold separately as well. See here: http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/p..._822_UG_en.pdf
    is your nfc on? just wondering.

Global Posts
    1,744 Global Posts
    Yep, from the manual, that is the NFC touch area around the camera (page 9). The wireless charging area is at the bottom half and needs a new cover (page 16). There are four pins on the back that connect to nothing on the standard cover. Those have to be the wireless charging pins.

http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/p..._822_UG_en.pdf

Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    never mind, I see I may be wrong which I was really hoping I wasn't, I bet you the circuit is for NFC, the bottom pad that is on the standard back is where there will be connectors for wireless charging :(
    This issue is so incredibly beat to death.

The wireless charging requires a separate charging shell and a charging plate. Both will be available "at a later time", and I still have no further information on price or availability.

Furthermore, there is no setting to enable wireless charging.

Global Posts
    1,744 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Getintothegame View Post

The manual says NFC must be enabled for wireless charging to work.
    Thanked by:
    Hm, I stand corrected. Curious.

Global Posts
    1,744 Global Posts
    Hm, I stand corrected. Curious.
    It doesn't make sense to me as to why it needs to be. Maybe the charging pad is dormant until the NFC tells it to wake up?

This issue is so incredibly beat to death.

The wireless charging requires a separate charging shell and a charging plate. Both will be available "at a later time", and I still have no further information on price or availability.

F*(K! :mad:
    It doesn't make sense to me as to why it needs to be. Maybe the charging pad is dormant until the NFC tells it to wake up?
    I guess? I would have assumed there'd be a mechanism or switch in the shell that would trigger the charging.

EDIT: I just received the phone in Grey. It looks like you're correct - there are four pins on the back that are not in use on the phone. Other controls NFC communication.
    Last edited by Getintothegame; 11-15-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Global Posts
    685 Global Posts
    I've noticed while poking the 'net that there's a flood of new universal NFC/bluetooth/charging accessories, such as stereos and whatnot. Seems iPhone has finally lost its main advantage. But yeah, most of these wireless charging devices use NFC.

Essentially, there will be a plethora of assorted devices you can control just by setting your phone on them.
    I wonder..... There was an article the other day about someone trying an older phone's wireless charging plate, and it turning on the charge light, but not actually charging the phone. I wonder if this may be why? Hmmm...

Global Posts
    1,890 Global Posts
    It's obvious from looking at the stock back cover that the wireless charging area is below the NFC plate. The indentation for the 4 contacts is on the cover, but no wires present. I bought the charging plate, hoping like everyone else that the stock back cover provided wireless charging. Guess I'll be waiting for "a later date"... :>(

I'm the same boat. Got my phone last night and couldn't figure out why the charging plate wasn't working. The spec sheet on VZW alluded to that it was capable out of the box. Now we have to wait for the backs to be sold :(

Also what is interesting is that on VZW accessory page for the DT-900 and check compatibility it says (at least at the moment) that the 822 isn't compatible.
    Last edited by primortal; 11-16-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    daniel nensel likes this.

Considering that both the verizon and Nokia websites listed wireless charging in the features of the phone, with no indication of an additional accessory needed (verizon has since updated their website) along with numerous salesman (including the one I talked to) telling people that it was included out of the box. I feel that Verizon needs to make this right. I personally have filed a complaint with the BBB as well as began a complaint to my Stats Attorney General about their misleading advertising. Please let me know how many other of you were told this phone came with wireless charging and were mislead by verizon.

Also to answer the above question the store manager at the verizon store I went back to to complain to (the very next day) stated that the Wireless Charging doors were $40 but were inexplicably not on deisplay and only available from the back room (more deception) :mad::mad::mad:

Wireless charging backs are available on VZW site for a whopping $40; only in white or black, http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory​?action=accessoryDetails&archetypeId=13448&access...
    Thanked by:
    chasvs 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast