Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Found this article. Down at the bottom, surely that's a 920, and the article doesn't really tell us anything new, but does anyone know if this site is reliable on rumors or not?
    Upcoming Smartphones For 2013 | Digitaldir

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    No idea on the site, but Verizon is expecting a quad-core Lumia built off the 920 series in early 2013. Buzz inside the corporate sales division is it will be called the 940 and feature a Snapdragon S4 Pro quad core chip with a higher end GPU.
    Steven Piazza likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MacPhisto View Post
    No idea on the site, but Verizon is expecting a quad-core Lumia built off the 920 series in early 2013. Buzz inside the corporate sales division is it will be called the 940 and feature a Snapdragon S4 Pro quad core chip with a higher end GPU.
    That sounds all great but I'd seriously be worried about battery life with that S4 Pro.
    "Bro, you know I lift cause I use a Lumia 920..."
    Klevis likes this.
    I'd be shocked if Nokia signed with att to have the 920 exclusively for 6 months only to have Nokia put its specs to shame with a 920 successor on another carrier. That's not the sort of relationship I'd think they'd want with att.
    11B1P and Klevis like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    I'd be shocked if Nokia signed with att to have the 920 exclusively for 6 months only to have Nokia put its specs to shame with a 920 successor on another carrier. That's not the sort of relationship I'd think they'd want with att.
    You shouldn't be. We'll probably see a new wave a devices in Spring from every OEM. There is also nothing to suggest that the next Lumia wouldn't make its way to AT&T as well.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Yet they wouldn't want a premiere device on the other major carrier in the US? The 920 exclusivity came down to guarantees and subsidies. AT&T guaranteed a certain number of phone sales and will pay for that many phones whether they sell them or not. They also paid a part of it up front, from what has been heard. And they also agreed to massively subsidize the phone. Verizon was willing to sell it and promote it, but they were not willing to guarantee a certain amount of sales or subsidize it down to $99.

Most of the exclusivity benefits will come within the first couple of months anyways. AT&T does it to get people to switch to them or to ensure their customers don't go somewhere else. But by March, the sales of the 920 will probably have leveled off and declined from their peak.
    Banned

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    Of course Verizon did not make a commitment for any of the WP8 devices because none can use Verizon's network to it's full potential (3G and 4G LTE), as none support SVDO nor the 512bit encryption needed for it. Check the CDMA coding for them and you will see is at 256bit.

Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmdj31675 View Post
    Of course Verizon did not make a commitment for any of the WP8 devices because none can use Verizon's network to it's full potential (3G and 4G LTE), as none support SVDO nor the 512bit encryption needed for it. Check the CDMA coding for them and you will see is at 256bit.
    OMG. Enough already. Verizon currently has 2 WP8 devices for sale.
    Wrong, the 822 supports SVDO. I know because I had it.
    Banned

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    It doesn't support it at 256bit encryption, unless Nokia actually tweaked WP8 to have it with 512bit encryption. That could explain why the different model and different shape compared to the 920.

Very interesting....

Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    It doesn't support it at 256bit encryption, unless Nokia actually tweaked WP8 to have it with 512bit encryption. That could explain why the different model and different shape compared to the 920.

Very interesting....
    The Lumia 822 is related to the Lumia 820.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

Very interesting....
    No. The different model and shape are because VZW did not like the back cover on the 820 (thought it was too difficult to remove for the user) and they disliked the low amount of storage on the device.

The more rounded shape was requested to distinguish it. The higher ups were worried that if it looked too much like the 820 or the 810 that people would assume it only had 8GB of onboard storage. They wanted it to be a unique looking phone for the lineup to be sure consumers would understand there was a difference, especially in the onboard storage front. The back cover needed to be easy to remove, especially since that is where the SD expansion and SIM is. Verizon's testers liked the look of the 820's cover, but they felt it was too cumbersome for removal.

Verizon was actually a bit disappointed in the 920 and the 8X because they like selling phones with SD expansion. While they do want people to purchase larger data packages, they also know greater local storage will mean less traffic on their network and that that will boost speeds for everyone. I believe they also like selling the microSDs to customers as well.

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    Mr. MacPhisto

That's an interesting comment about the SD card. The new Verizon HTC DNA also has no SD card slot and I read in a couple places that this was at Verizon's request.

You mention a 920 variant should show up in early 2013. Does that mean Jan/Feb or just sometime before summer?

Regards!
    Yet they wouldn't want a premiere device on the other major carrier in the US? The 920 exclusivity came down to guarantees and subsidies. AT&T guaranteed a certain number of phone sales and will pay for that many phones whether they sell them or not. They also paid a part of it up front, from what has been heard. And they also agreed to massively subsidize the phone. Verizon was willing to sell it and promote it, but they were not willing to guarantee a certain amount of sales or subsidize it down to $99.

Most of the exclusivity benefits will come within the first couple of months anyways. AT&T does it to get people to switch to them or to ensure their customers don't go somewhere else. But by March, the sales of the 920 will probably have leveled off and declined from their peak.
    that's all well and good. My point was there is an exclusivity length of time. That is runkred to be 6 months. As heavily as att seems to be subsidizing the handset, I wouldn't doubt that six month estimate; perhaps it is longer. Bottom line, we won't be seeing the 920 (or variants) on Verizon until as soon as the title suggests. That's not how exclusivity works. There would literally be no point... Not unless Nokia is keen on going to court. Of course they could cut another deal with att too. That's certainly possible.
    that's all well and good. My point was there is an exclusivity length of time. That is runkred to be 6 months. As heavily as att seems to be subsidizing the handset, I wouldn't doubt that six month estimate; perhaps it is longer. Bottom line, we won't be seeing the 920 (or variants) on Verizon until as soon as the title suggests. That's not how exclusivity works. There would literally be no point... Not unless Nokia is keen on going to court. Of course they could cut another deal with att too. That's certainly possible.
    At&t has the 820 as an exclusive, Verizon got a better model in the 822 variant. No reason why they can't do the same with the 920.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    That's not how it works. You have an exclusive phone, but that's it. A different model number with some differences in guts and the phone is no longer a 920. Throw a 12MP camera on the spec and it is no longer the same phone.

Nokia likely has covered their bases to ensure they can put similar phones on other carriers. Frankly, after January AT&T will care much less anyways. Sales will dip in the early part of the year. The next major launch will be close to Easter.
    That's not how it works. You have an exclusive phone, but that's it. A different model number with some differences in guts and the phone is no longer a 920. Throw a 12MP camera on the spec and it is no longer the same phone.

Nokia likely has covered their bases to ensure they can put similar phones on other carriers. Frankly, after January AT&T will care much less anyways. Sales will dip in the early part of the year. The next major launch will be close to Easter.

Not... really. Look at the Droid line. Look at the iPhone line (prior to exclusivity loss). They have exclusivity to the 9xx line of phones. I am sure anything can happen, but I am doubtful. Highly. In the past, Nokia hasn't reinvented their flagship device so soon. The 900 series was reinvented because of windows phone 7 limitations. And, IMO, it hurt them. Like I said, stranger things have happened, but this entire thread is founded on nothing but rumors. And it's not even credibly sourced rumors.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Not... really. Look at the Droid line. Look at the iPhone line (prior to exclusivity loss). They have exclusivity to the 9xx line of phones. I am sure anything can happen, but I am doubtful. Highly. In the past, Nokia hasn't reinvented their flagship device so soon. The 900 series was reinvented because of windows phone 7 limitations. And, IMO, it hurt them. Like I said, stranger things have happened, but this entire thread is founded on nothing but rumors. And it's not even credibly sourced rumors.
    No, they have the 920. Nothing about the "line" of phones.

The Droid "line" isn't a line at all, it is a branding that Verizon has secured the rights to via Lucasfilm. They have licensed the Droid name for branding and have a deal where no other company can use that name, but that is very different from a line of phones. It is a Verizon brand.

What if they do an S4 Pro (quad core) with 12.1MP and call it the Lumia 1010? Then it's no longer in the 900 series, is it?

AT&T gets exclusives on phones. The iPhone was a phone, not a line. They maintained on exclusive on the phones and had to continually give Apple more money to insure they didn't let Verizon have a version when the exclusivity term would run out. That changed when Apple tapped out its growth and realized they couldn't grow much more if they were limited to one US carrier.

WHHAAAAATTT!!!!!???
    There are rumors in the "Rumored Devices" forum!! I'm at a loss! What does life even mean, anymore?!?

And also.. A rumor that is credibly sourced isn't a rumor.

Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Yeah Mr. MacPhisto has been around these parts for a bit and what he's said has been pretty accurate so I trust him a lot.

After much research, I have decided to hold off on my venture into WP8 "until" Verizon offers a version of the Lumia 920.

By choosing the 822 or 8X I would have been "settling" for a device for the next 2 years. I wasn't enamored with the looks and screen of the 822...I wasn't enamored with the durability, storage and battery of the 8X.

I am willing to be patient a little while longer. If Verizon does not offer a variation of the 920 by 1st quarter 2013, I may just re-up with iOS.

I was thinking the same thing, but really love the platform, and wanted in. Ordered the 822 and am super excited to start using it. When/if a 9xx variant is released on VZN, I'll be switching for sure. Remember, you are not locked into the phone, but rather the plan. At least, that is my understanding. So, I'll be rockin' the 822 for the time being, keeping my eyes on the horizon.

Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I would jump ship from ATT to get a 940 if there was going to be one soon WITH the provision of it being globally unlocked like the 8X.
    yes, i realize that the 822 is not unlocked (so it seems) so this may be a pipe dream in more than one way.
    I need a phone that will work outside the US - I have not been able to bring myself to pull the trigger on an unlocked 920 for 750USD yet, but i wouldnt mind locking myself into a contract with Verizon if it provides a phone i can use outside of the US on other carriers or with other SIMs

Quote Originally Posted by WinDude View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, but really love the platform, and wanted in. Ordered the 822 and am super excited to start using it. When/if a 9xx variant is released on VZN, I'll be switching for sure. Remember, you are not locked into the phone, but rather the plan. At least, that is my understanding. So, I'll be rockin' the 822 for the time being, keeping my eyes on the horizon.
    Well, I very much am locked into the phone for a couple of years (until my next upgrade). I can drop $200...I am in no position to do so and then drop another $500-700 6 months later. I can be patient until March, when hopefully we know whether-or-not Verizon will offer a 9xx variation. I am also waiting for info on the Samsung device.
    Steven Piazza likes this.

Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Meh, quad core is simply useless.. I'll take the new processor, though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast