Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thanks. I'm realizing the same points that you brought up. The only reason I see to wait at this point is for a price drop. I could wait for the supposedly rumored new flagship phones or else feel bitter about waiting long enough for the next big smartphone or the device that has everything I'm looking for. This could lead to waiting a very long time.

I would not worry about it. The wait on Verizon is going to be short for the flagship devices, Verizon is clearly all-in on Windows Phone now.

Based on the rumors which have generally been pretty accurate the timeframe is below:
    Samsung flagship (Odyssey): 2-4 weeks
    HTC flagship (Zenith): 2-3 months
    Nokia flagship (922): 2-4 months

Any of these three will likely fit the bill, and you won't be waiting that long to get your hands on them.

Besides, it will save you some spare cash to spend on XMAS gifts ;)
    Thanked by:
    Steven Piazza likes this.

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    I work for Verizon and currently Verizon is in process of negotiation to bring three new devices to its line up by the end of March. However the WP sales are very disappointing and the faith of WP8 is probably will be the same as WP7. I am hoping WP will be successful as a whole so it can push Verizon to be more WP friendly

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tcman88 View Post
    I work for Verizon and currently Verizon is in process of negotiation to bring three new devices to its line up by the end of March. However the WP sales are very disappointing and the faith of WP8 is probably will be the same as WP7. I am hoping WP will be successful as a whole so it can push Verizon to be more WP friendly
    Some of that blame has to rest with Verizon. My local corporate store and the other Verizon reseller in town both have no working WP8 phones on display to play with; in fact they don't even have a non-working sample on display. They do have the 822 in stock but not where anyone can see them. They have no 8X's in stock, though they do have a non-working sample under the counter. I have read on these forums about very different experiences at other Verizon stores where they are actually pushing the phones so at best it is not consistent.

I stopped by an AT&T store over the weekend and the first question they asked me was if I had seen the new Window's phone and they took me right to the Lumia 920 (though it was out of stock)

IMO, for Verizon to do better with WP8 they need to get better hardware, especially for the early adopters, as well as do a better/more consistent job of selling the phones and OS.

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djarchow View Post
    Some of that blame has to rest with Verizon. My local corporate store and the other Verizon reseller in town both have no working WP8 phones on display to play with; in fact they don't even have a non-working sample on display. They do have the 822 in stock but not where anyone can see them. They have no 8X's in stock, though they do have a non-working sample under the counter. I have read on these forums about very different experiences at other Verizon stores where they are actually pushing the phones so at best it is not consistent.

I stopped by an AT&T store over the weekend and the first question they asked me was if I had seen the new Window's phone and they took me right to the Lumia 920 (though it was out of stock)

IMO, for Verizon to do better with WP8 they need to get better hardware, especially for the early adopters, as well as do a better/more consistent job of selling the phones and OS.
    it is impossible for Verizon wireless corporate stores not to have the phones on display. Your experience was probably before the launch day ( during the online pre-order). Also sales reps receive"bonus" for every non iPhone they sale and double bonus on every windows phones. Also if they hit their windows phone quota the store will receive rebates. Basically biggest incentive for reps to sale WPs as they get a bigger paycheck. Believe me Verizon would love to sale windows phone 8 as it is the least costly line up with the highest profit.

Global Posts
    338 Global Posts
    Tcmann88, not sure where you get the "impossible" line, I'm on att and went into 3 Verizon stores where I live and not one of them had a WP phone on display and only 1 store actually was willing to show me one from " out of the back " made me glad that I was on att, this was two days ago, I had gone with a friend to look at the phones trying to convert him to WP.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    it is impossible for Verizon wireless corporate stores not to have the phones on display. Your experience was probably before the launch day ( during the online pre-order). Also sales reps receive"bonus" for every non iPhone they sale and double bonus on every windows phones. Also if they hit their windows phone quota the store will receive rebates. Basically biggest incentive for reps to sale WPs as they get a bigger paycheck. Believe me Verizon would love to sale windows phone 8 as it is the least costly line up with the highest profit.
    I was in the store late last week. They told me they couldn't get their demo 822 on the network so they didn't have it on display. They offered to show me one of the ones from the back; though they were far more interested in showing me the Droid DNA as it was a "much better phone".

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    I was in the store late last week. They told me they couldn't get their demo 822 on the network so they didn't have it on display. They offered to show me one of the ones from the back; though they were far more interested in showing me the Droid DNA as it was a "much better phone".
    Could you please give me the location of the Verizon store you visited?

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    If could provide me with the location of the store you visited

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    The last thing I want to do is get some college kid making 8 bucks an hour in trouble for not showing me the right phones. I will say though that it was in Iowa.

Verizon still has no WP8 "hero" phone, which is a bit of a necessity for geeks to really push mid- and lower-end phones. If Verizon had the 920 at launch, I'm sure their whole lineup would perform better. I know they tried to make the 8X into a hero phone, but there is simply too much missing from it to be in that class. And the 822's design frankly looks a bit dated compared to the Nokia phones on AT&T.

I believe Verizon will keep the faith simply to give them alternatives to Apple and Google, both of which would be more costly for them than WP8 for different reasons. But they need to fill the high end void on WP8 devices...

I'm going to sit tight and wait for MWC. WP8 is not compelling enough to switch to at this point. 7.8 is coming and that will hold me over until the next wave of devices hit (hopefully VZW doesn't bail on their plans). In the meantime, 8 will become more mature.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    if VZW had been able to have the 920 (or a variant of it) this year, i would have left my regional carrier for them in a heartbeat. i do think the 8x is pretty sweet, and the 822 is nice, as well, but knowing the 920 is out there, i just couldn't make the jump yet. to me, the 2 things it has over the 8x are more storage and a better camera, and those are 2 things that just happen to matter enough to keep me waiting.

the Ativ phone will be interesting, and i'll definitely give it a look, but i am thinking i will wait until spring to see what new windows phones show up on Verizon.
    Gungzwei likes this.

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    822 all the way!
    11B1P likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    That rumor is based on absolutely nothing fyi. I've heard it too but there has not been a credible source noted yet. I'd personally be shocked if they did this. Sort of makes the 920 exclusivity borderline pointless.
    Now that Nokia Europe has announced that 920 exclusivity ends Jan 1st does it seem more likely?

When I first saw the 822 I was disgusted! Now after handling it and reading mostly positive reviews I have warmed up to it. Just to show how much I have changed I really don't know what I'll do if Verizon does get a 9xx. The lack of a removeable battery could really be what makes me choose the 822.

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    The last thing I want to do is get some college kid making 8 bucks an hour in trouble for not showing me the right phones. I will say though that it was in Iowa.
    That's all well and good but sales reps at a corporate Verizon store probably make $50-$60k a year. When I was a rep I made about $70k on average. So yeah. You're not just getting "some college kid" in trouble, you'd be getting someone who is paid like a professional and trained like a professional in trouble for not doing something right. lol

Quote Originally Posted by tcman88
    Also sales reps receive"bonus" for every non iPhone they sale and double bonus on every windows phones
    I don't know where you work, but I work for Verizon corporate as a trainer in the Midwest and the ONLY bonus on any kind of phone is a 4G LTE credit, which is $25, but that applies to every single 4G phone including the iPhone 5.
    RSM for VZW
    Phone history: HTC Trophy, Droid Razr, Curve 9370, HTC Rezound, HTC 8X Blue, HTC 8X VZW Employee Edition, LG Intuition, Nokia Lumia 928 White, LG G2, Droid Ultra VZW Employee Edition, iPhone 5S

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Honestabebread View Post
    That's all well and good but sales reps at a corporate Verizon store probably make $50-$60k a year. When I was a rep I made about $70k on average. So yeah. You're not just getting "some college kid" in trouble, you'd be getting someone who is paid like a professional and trained like a professional in trouble for not doing something right. lol

I don't know where you work, but I work for Verizon corporate as a trainer in the Midwest and the ONLY bonus on any kind of phone is a 4G LTE credit, which is $25, but that applies to every single 4G phone including the iPhone 5.
    A lot of people don't understand that Verizon's main objective when you're shopping for a new phone is to get you into one that suits your needs. If you're a first time smartphone buyer, they want to get you into a phone you'll enjoy. And they do want to get everyone on LTE in a data package - no doubt. But besides that, VZW's focus is getting the customer into a phone that will allow them to enjoy the benefits of the network that they desire most.

VZW doesn't invest in their network just to brag. They invest in it because they are all about customer experience, not necessarily the latest and greatest for tech geeks. Often the latest and greatest doesn't work so well when it is first deployed and that affects customer experience. Verizon has always been willing to let their competitors be the ones that have the issues while Verizon's customers continue to be satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by odin09 View Post
    When I first saw the 822 I was disgusted! Now after handling it and reading mostly positive reviews I have warmed up to it. Just to show how much I have changed I really don't know what I'll do if Verizon does get a 9xx. The lack of a removeable battery could really be what makes me choose the 822.
    If Verizon releases both a 922 (virtually identical to AT&T model), and also releases an 822 HD, I would honestly choose the 822 HD for the MicroSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MacPhisto View Post
    A lot of people don't understand that Verizon's main objective when you're shopping for a new phone is to get you into one that suits your needs. If you're a first time smartphone buyer, they want to get you into a phone you'll enjoy. And they do want to get everyone on LTE in a data package - no doubt. But besides that, VZW's focus is getting the customer into a phone that will allow them to enjoy the benefits of the network that they desire most.

VZW doesn't invest in their network just to brag. They invest in it because they are all about customer experience, not necessarily the latest and greatest for tech geeks. Often the latest and greatest doesn't work so well when it is first deployed and that affects customer experience. Verizon has always been willing to let their competitors be the ones that have the issues while Verizon's customers continue to be satisfied.
    While that may be the case now, I respectfully would like to disagree about that being the objective in the past. I believe instead they were focused on selling 4G phones with horrendous battery life (like the HTC Thunderbolt, which basically requires extended battery to use) due to wanting to build out their 4G network, even if the practical non-battery draining SoC was not there to support 4G yet. IMO they did kind of throw consumers under the bus to foster LTE network.

Up until June 2012, AT&T had offered the following Windows Phones I am aware of in total:
    HTC Surround
    HTC Titan
    HTC Titan II
    LG Quantum
    Nokia Lumia 900
    Samsung Focus
    Samsung Focus Flash
    Samsung Focus S
    Samsung Focus 2

Verizon had offered the following through June 2012:
    HTC Trophy.

Now, being someone who likes Windows Phone, I was planning on leaving Verizon if the trend continued. Thankfully, Verizon saw the light and is doing much better now. I plan to stick with Verizon, but I'm still waiting for that killer device to replace my Trophy!
    Last edited by Ruined; 12-23-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Verizon abandoned the device agenda in February of 2012. Next year there's talk of offering payment plans on phones and cheaper plans if you don't do a contract. Similar to how tabs dropped to $10 a month ($20 of you add 2 more gigs) with no contract and a loan program if you can't afford the phone full price. Verizon really likes how the UK phone system works. No subsidies would mean they could lower plans say $20 a month but in reality they'd make more.
    RSM for VZW
    Phone history: HTC Trophy, Droid Razr, Curve 9370, HTC Rezound, HTC 8X Blue, HTC 8X VZW Employee Edition, LG Intuition, Nokia Lumia 928 White, LG G2, Droid Ultra VZW Employee Edition, iPhone 5S

Quote Originally Posted by Honestabebread View Post
    Verizon abandoned the device agenda in February of 2012. Next year there's talk of offering payment plans on phones and cheaper plans if you don't do a contract. Similar to how tabs dropped to $10 a month ($20 of you add 2 more gigs) with no contract and a loan program if you can't afford the phone full price. Verizon really likes how the UK phone system works. No subsidies would mean they could lower plans say $20 a month but in reality they'd make more.
    Part of the problem in the US is that as long as the major carriers do not give significant incentive to buy off contract (such as cheaper prices and unlimited or much higher data caps), it will be much more expensive because they will be a minute market for off contract phones. Thus, with a small market for off contract phones, there will be higher prices and little incentive to buy.

Another option is to make the gap between off contract and on contract smaller by eliminating free smartphones and increasing prices across the board on contract. The only problem with this is that people may switch carriers for a cheaper phone they want in particular, though I think more likely people will just get a lower spec'd phone. This includes raising prices (or keeping them high, at least) both at Verizon stores and third party (i.e. Amazon, Walmart) plus through black Friday, etc. Instead of making phones free on black Friday, throw in free accessories etc.

Finally, if buying off contract is Verizon's agenda, Windows phone should be their #1 investment. There is a very simple reason for this: competition resulting in lower phone prices combined with users willing to spend more money.

* With Apple, there is no competition and thus they can charge ridiculous prices Therefore getting iPhone users to pay more upfront will be unlikely as it simply will be too much money. Plus, Verizon themselves gets to pay the "Apple tax."

* With Google, there is lots of competition, but the userbase on average is used to getting free phones and free apps (Google's Play store makes something like 1/10th of apple's comparing the top 100 apps). Heck, even the OS is free for the phone manuf. Therefore getting Android users to pay more upfront will be unlikely as quite simply they are used to getting stuff for free and will probably continue that trend. And Verizon gets to pay the support costs that go along with a wild-wild-west free and openly modifiable OS.

* With Windows Phone, you have the multi-manufacturer competition, but the phones and apps are NOT geared towards getting everything for free. Therefore, you get devices priced lower than Apple and users more likely to buy them as they are used to spending money for stuff. No Apple tax, no wild wild west, either.

* With BlackBerry, the brand is simply too tarnished now (think where Microsoft was with Windows Mobile 6.5), and it will take a long sustained effort to change that. Frankly, I'm not sure RIM has the resources to turn it around. And I don't think anyone would take a large financial risk on a BB10 for that reason.

So, that is why Verizon should be putting Windows Phone center stage. It may take some time, but in the end I believe Windows Phone is the most healthy for Verizon overall. You just need to show it to people and sell them on why its better for them, too.
    Last edited by Ruined; 12-24-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Global Posts
    1,354 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheZuneLune View Post
    It doesn't solve navigating to a contact's address or to an address from the web, though, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by berty6294 View Post
    nope, and trust me, there is nobody more p***ed about that than i am! That was probably the most used function in my phone!

I really hope there's an update to change that.
    I'm not sure I agree. If you have an address saved in your contact list, touch on Map Home (or Work) Address and it will provide directions for you.

PM me for more details
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12