Verizon Customers

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
If you are a Verizon customer or soon to be customer, what do you do if you love the design. resolution, camera of the 8x but want the app exclusives, wide screen, battery life of the 822 yet are enticed by the high end features of Samsung odyssey coming at the end of the year?

Do you buy now? If so, which one? Or do you wait?

I would suggest choosing which features are most important to you - something only you can decide. No device will ever be perfect and there will always be some compromise. If you can wait, you might also get a better price down the line. As far as the Samsung phone goes, I would factor that out of the equation unless you have time to wait. Even at that though people are more often than not disappointed when they plan based upon vaporware. There really is no confirmation it is ever really coming to VZW or any other US carrier.

Steven Piazza

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I'm realizing the same points that you brought up. The only reason I see to wait at this point is for a price drop. I could wait for the supposedly rumored new flagship phones or else feel bitter about waiting long enough for the next big smartphone or the device that has everything I'm looking for. This could lead to waiting a very long time.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I would not worry about it. The wait on Verizon is going to be short for the flagship devices, Verizon is clearly all-in on Windows Phone now.

Based on the rumors which have generally been pretty accurate the timeframe is below:
Samsung flagship (Odyssey): 2-4 weeks
HTC flagship (Zenith): 2-3 months
Nokia flagship (922): 2-4 months

Any of these three will likely fit the bill, and you won't be waiting that long to get your hands on them.

Besides, it will save you some spare cash to spend on XMAS gifts ;)

tcman88

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I work for Verizon and currently Verizon is in process of negotiation to bring three new devices to its line up by the end of March. However the WP sales are very disappointing and the faith of WP8 is probably will be the same as WP7. I am hoping WP will be successful as a whole so it can push Verizon to be more WP friendly

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I work for Verizon and currently Verizon is in process of negotiation to bring three new devices to its line up by the end of March. However the WP sales are very disappointing and the faith of WP8 is probably will be the same as WP7. I am hoping WP will be successful as a whole so it can push Verizon to be more WP friendly

Some of that blame has to rest with Verizon. My local corporate store and the other Verizon reseller in town both have no working WP8 phones on display to play with; in fact they don't even have a non-working sample on display. They do have the 822 in stock but not where anyone can see them. They have no 8X's in stock, though they do have a non-working sample under the counter. I have read on these forums about very different experiences at other Verizon stores where they are actually pushing the phones so at best it is not consistent.

I stopped by an AT&T store over the weekend and the first question they asked me was if I had seen the new Window's phone and they took me right to the Lumia 920 (though it was out of stock)

IMO, for Verizon to do better with WP8 they need to get better hardware, especially for the early adopters, as well as do a better/more consistent job of selling the phones and OS.

tcman88

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Some of that blame has to rest with Verizon. My local corporate store and the other Verizon reseller in town both have no working WP8 phones on display to play with; in fact they don't even have a non-working sample on display. They do have the 822 in stock but not where anyone can see them. They have no 8X's in stock, though they do have a non-working sample under the counter. I have read on these forums about very different experiences at other Verizon stores where they are actually pushing the phones so at best it is not consistent.

I stopped by an AT&T store over the weekend and the first question they asked me was if I had seen the new Window's phone and they took me right to the Lumia 920 (though it was out of stock)

IMO, for Verizon to do better with WP8 they need to get better hardware, especially for the early adopters, as well as do a better/more consistent job of selling the phones and OS.
it is impossible for Verizon wireless corporate stores not to have the phones on display. Your experience was probably before the launch day ( during the online pre-order). Also sales reps receive"bonus" for every non iPhone they sale and double bonus on every windows phones. Also if they hit their windows phone quota the store will receive rebates. Basically biggest incentive for reps to sale WPs as they get a bigger paycheck. Believe me Verizon would love to sale windows phone 8 as it is the least costly line up with the highest profit.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Tcmann88, not sure where you get the "impossible" line, I'm on att and went into 3 Verizon stores where I live and not one of them had a WP phone on display and only 1 store actually was willing to show me one from " out of the back " made me glad that I was on att, this was two days ago, I had gone with a friend to look at the phones trying to convert him to WP.

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
it is impossible for Verizon wireless corporate stores not to have the phones on display. Your experience was probably before the launch day ( during the online pre-order). Also sales reps receive"bonus" for every non iPhone they sale and double bonus on every windows phones. Also if they hit their windows phone quota the store will receive rebates. Basically biggest incentive for reps to sale WPs as they get a bigger paycheck. Believe me Verizon would love to sale windows phone 8 as it is the least costly line up with the highest profit.

I was in the store late last week. They told me they couldn't get their demo 822 on the network so they didn't have it on display. They offered to show me one of the ones from the back; though they were far more interested in showing me the Droid DNA as it was a "much better phone".

tcman88

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I was in the store late last week. They told me they couldn't get their demo 822 on the network so they didn't have it on display. They offered to show me one of the ones from the back; though they were far more interested in showing me the Droid DNA as it was a "much better phone".

Could you please give me the location of the Verizon store you visited?

tcman88

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

If could provide me with the location of the store you visited

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The last thing I want to do is get some college kid making 8 bucks an hour in trouble for not showing me the right phones. I will say though that it was in Iowa.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Verizon still has no WP8 "hero" phone, which is a bit of a necessity for geeks to really push mid- and lower-end phones. If Verizon had the 920 at launch, I'm sure their whole lineup would perform better. I know they tried to make the 8X into a hero phone, but there is simply too much missing from it to be in that class. And the 822's design frankly looks a bit dated compared to the Nokia phones on AT&T.

I believe Verizon will keep the faith simply to give them alternatives to Apple and Google, both of which would be more costly for them than WP8 for different reasons. But they need to fill the high end void on WP8 devices...

Steven Piazza

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to sit tight and wait for MWC. WP8 is not compelling enough to switch to at this point. 7.8 is coming and that will hold me over until the next wave of devices hit (hopefully VZW doesn't bail on their plans). In the meantime, 8 will become more mature.

davec53

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
if VZW had been able to have the 920 (or a variant of it) this year, i would have left my regional carrier for them in a heartbeat. i do think the 8x is pretty sweet, and the 822 is nice, as well, but knowing the 920 is out there, i just couldn't make the jump yet. to me, the 2 things it has over the 8x are more storage and a better camera, and those are 2 things that just happen to matter enough to keep me waiting.

the Ativ phone will be interesting, and i'll definitely give it a look, but i am thinking i will wait until spring to see what new windows phones show up on Verizon.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
That rumor is based on absolutely nothing fyi. I've heard it too but there has not been a credible source noted yet. I'd personally be shocked if they did this. Sort of makes the 920 exclusivity borderline pointless.

Now that Nokia Europe has announced that 920 exclusivity ends Jan 1st does it seem more likely?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb