Nokia to do "Exciting things with Verizon" says Stephen Elop

Steven Piazza

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Ugh! Now I HAVE to wait to see what they offer on VZW. I was so very close to pulling trigger on 822. Tired of playing the waiting game and just want to get a WP8 I am excited about and can recommend to all my IOS and Android friends and co-workers.

Sir John Stamos

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I can upgrade in February. I was hoping I'd hear about the 920 or some variant of it coming to Verizon between now and then. This makes me hopeful.

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Too late, already got my 8x. Tired of these stupid waiting games. Time to do exciting things with Verizon was back in Oct 29 when WP8 was first launched, a lot of us already have our windows phones already

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
With the way that he added "as well" I get the feeling that Nokia will be doing a major release for another carrier before they do one for Verizon. Or maybe I'm just over-analyzing things.

In the end i hope they just release a 920 version for all the carriers much like how Samsung released the original galaxy for all 4.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
This is making my upgrade in May a little easier to wait for. I have been so close to pulling the trigger on the 822 at full price.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
No... By the time the ATT exclusivity is up, they'd better have something BETTER than the 920 for us....

I've heard that they have a couple of things up their sleeve.

Firstly, Verizon is very pleased with the sales of the 822. From what I understand, it is quite a hot seller thus far and was reduced to $49.99 because of the margin and the interest - making it more of a mass market product. It will bump back up to $99.99 in January, though.

They are disappointed in the HTC 8X. The high price and lack of features is a problem and apparently HTC did not help matters by being inflexible on expanding storage (Verizon asked them for a 32GB model to go with the wireless charging) and being inflexible on the price they charged the carrier. Reading between the lines indicates that HTC may have gotten a big head over the 8X and it ended up biting them in their bums. Nokia's aggressive strategy is paying dividends with all carriers they are available on - and making the carriers more interest in adding more Nokia WP8 devices.

Verizon has asked Nokia for a version of the 620 that has LTE capability because they really want to move everyone over to LTE and onto smartphones. HTC was supposed to give them the 8S, but apparently they are mostly going with non-US markets where the 8X is doing better when sold off carrier. Verizon's people have apparently asked them why they could not have built the 8X with a similar case where it is pretty much unibody but the bottom snaps off for the SIM card and microSD expansion. The low storage and lack of expansion are major reasons why people are not buying the 8X. And HTC did not want to add LTE to the 8S - a deal breaker for VZW.

I think this has a lot to do with why they are cancelling the Droid DNA based larger Zenith device. From what I understand, MS has told HTC they will provide 1080 support if they ask for it. I know Verizon is loving how much MS wants to work with them and the OEMs to really develop what they all want.

So look for a free Samsung WP8 device, if Sammy can ever deliver them to go with the high end ATIV Odyssey.

But it sounds like Verizon will get the 622 (appears VZW will be getting the x22 designations) with LTE support, offered free with contract.

Expect more colors to come to the 822, but the price to return to $99, though they may include a microSD card (8-16GB) with it come spring.

Then expect a quad core Lumia with Pureview, OIS, etc that may end up with a 1080P display. The target date is Easterish. They may call it the Lumia 1022.

So it appears they will have the 622, 822, and 1022. Also there may be a refresh at some point to the 822 to give it an HD screen and that model would be called the 822-HD.

I know for a fact that Verizon is very excited about Nokia. There is some thought that HTC may end up pulling their WP8 support in the US, though Samsung is wanting to expand their WP8 lineup.

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
For the sake of VZW I hope the rumors are true, but I've already switched my wife (last week) to AT&T for the Lumia 920, and once Good for Enterprise comes out for WP8 I'm prepared to jump as well (ETF and all). I'll be giving up unlimited data, but I don't NEED unlimited data, and doubt I'd keep paying retail for phones just in case I have a month or two where I need to go over for some random reason. I'm so over Android and have no desire to go iOS.

For me it comes down to the fact that AT&T has proven its loyalty and support to Nokia and the overall WP ecosystem. For that I'm prepared to make the jump - they've earned it from me, and I'm that kind of consumer who likes to reward that kind of behavior (call me naive - it's ok). I know they aren't a charity and they've made these choices for business reasons, but it happens that these business reasons align with something that I like (not to mention being a NOK shareholder).

On the other hand, for WP to take off we need it to be successful on as many carriers as possible, so clearly I hope the people who want or need to stay on VZW will do so - we'll all benefit in the end.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I've heard that they have a couple of things up their sleeve.

Firstly, Verizon is very pleased with the sales of the 822. From what I understand, it is quite a hot seller thus far and was reduced to $49.99 because of the margin and the interest - making it more of a mass market product. It will bump back up to $99.99 in January, though.

They are disappointed in the HTC 8X. The high price and lack of features is a problem and apparently HTC did not help matters by being inflexible on expanding storage (Verizon asked them for a 32GB model to go with the wireless charging) and being inflexible on the price they charged the carrier. Reading between the lines indicates that HTC may have gotten a big head over the 8X and it ended up biting them in their bums. Nokia's aggressive strategy is paying dividends with all carriers they are available on - and making the carriers more interest in adding more Nokia WP8 devices.

Verizon has asked Nokia for a version of the 620 that has LTE capability because they really want to move everyone over to LTE and onto smartphones. HTC was supposed to give them the 8S, but apparently they are mostly going with non-US markets where the 8X is doing better when sold off carrier. Verizon's people have apparently asked them why they could not have built the 8X with a similar case where it is pretty much unibody but the bottom snaps off for the SIM card and microSD expansion. The low storage and lack of expansion are major reasons why people are not buying the 8X. And HTC did not want to add LTE to the 8S - a deal breaker for VZW.

I think this has a lot to do with why they are cancelling the Droid DNA based larger Zenith device. From what I understand, MS has told HTC they will provide 1080 support if they ask for it. I know Verizon is loving how much MS wants to work with them and the OEMs to really develop what they all want.

So look for a free Samsung WP8 device, if Sammy can ever deliver them to go with the high end ATIV Odyssey.

But it sounds like Verizon will get the 622 (appears VZW will be getting the x22 designations) with LTE support, offered free with contract.

Expect more colors to come to the 822, but the price to return to $99, though they may include a microSD card (8-16GB) with it come spring.

Then expect a quad core Lumia with Pureview, OIS, etc that may end up with a 1080P display. The target date is Easterish. They may call it the Lumia 1022.

So it appears they will have the 622, 822, and 1022. Also there may be a refresh at some point to the 822 to give it an HD screen and that model would be called the 822-HD.

I know for a fact that Verizon is very excited about Nokia. There is some thought that HTC may end up pulling their WP8 support in the US, though Samsung is wanting to expand their WP8 lineup.

Wow ... this a lot to digest. Success of the 822 doesn't shock meat $49 or free, but not sure how well it will do at $99 unless they can sweeten the deal somehow with some accessories or something (something to position it as a music phone etc.)

Before reading this thread, I replied to another post in another thread about the 8X. HTC need to commit to SOMETHING. They seem to want to try to cover all bases but it will kill them, this is evidence of that. What's the point of being on all carriers if you are an after-thought at all of them. I have zero doubt they will drop the price after Christmas on the 8X.

622 kinda surprises me, but I imagine the margins would be very favorable for Verizon and very suitable to convert people from feature phones.

The 1022, not sure about the name, but this doesn't shock me either. All of what you have said makes sense to me.

Btw - how is the 822?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Wow, Mr. MacPhisto, this is awesome news all around! Yes, I know that while I want a high end phone, not everyone does. So it does give me a warm fuzzy that they're going for the 62x line, because the more Windows Phones we get out there, at all levels, the greater this ecosystem will become. I'd rather not wait until Easter to get me that PureView goodness, but hey, if it's coming that soon, that's better than nothing at all. I am VERY thankful to my VERY wonderful wife who let me get the 822 knowing that I was going to want better if it came, so she would have to be willing to take this when that something better comes.

Ahhhh...... How refreshing to hear such good news coming from Verizon. Thank you very much!

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I actually prefer the 8x over the Nokia 920 and 822. Better phone in my opinion all around except for low light camera and a few Nokia apps. And I doubt HTC is going to dump there US support of wp8 EVER! Too much money there.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Also. Man. what happened to the Ativ Odyssey??? wasn't it supposed to be announced in Mid December?

Was originally slated for Mid-December release, but Samsung didn't deliver it. We have already seen the ATIV S delays. This is not odd when it comes to the industry. I have said numerous times that this is why Verizon tends to not like to announce things too far out, usually waiting until they actually have possession of the first run of phones and have randomly tested phones in their first shipments.

The 920 variant was supposed to come to Verizon at launch, but a deal was done and a change was made. The 8X and 822 were supposed to launch at the end of October and things got pushed back because of MS' later than expected launch of WP8 and Sandy.

Verizon has had several Droid phones delayed for months to either work out kinks or due to the manufacturer not being able to deliver. It's not one manufacturer that has been a problem.

One of the things the corporate people at VZW were impressed with was that Nokia delivered on time and as promised. None of the OEMs do that - they over promise and under-deliver. Other than VZW not being happy with the 920 issues (which have since been smoothed over in a big way), Verizon's people have been blown away by Nokia's support for their phones, their responsiveness to Verizon, and their responsiveness to VZW's customers.

At this point, the decision makers at Verizon are in love with Nokia. Seriously, they can't stop talking about how impressed they are with how they've handled everything.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Wow ... this a lot to digest. Success of the 822 doesn't shock meat $49 or free, but not sure how well it will do at $99 unless they can sweeten the deal somehow with some accessories or something (something to position it as a music phone etc.)

Before reading this thread, I replied to another post in another thread about the 8X. HTC need to commit to SOMETHING. They seem to want to try to cover all bases but it will kill them, this is evidence of that. What's the point of being on all carriers if you are an after-thought at all of them. I have zero doubt they will drop the price after Christmas on the 8X.

622 kinda surprises me, but I imagine the margins would be very favorable for Verizon and very suitable to convert people from feature phones.

The 1022, not sure about the name, but this doesn't shock me either. All of what you have said makes sense to me.

Btw - how is the 822?

As I said, the 822 may be shipped with a 8-16GB MicroSD card when it goes back up to $99. So that'd basically be a 32GB phone for $99. Not sure if Verizon will just throw it in the package or if Nokia will just insert a microSD into the phone. I believe it will just be the microSD to cut down on costs - no SD adapter or USB reader like you find in packages. Verizon's cost on a 16GB card is something like $3-4.

I'm not sure how much Verizon will pay per 622, but they usually subsidize $200-300 per phone that they sell. If the MSRP on the 620 is $250, I'd guess that Nokia sells them to resellers below $200, which means their manufacturing cost including materials, labor, etc is likely below $150. Big thing on that Krait processor is that it does not support LTE, so it may use the Krait 1.2 ghz dual core processor found in the HTC One VX that has LTE support with mods to support CDMA2000.

Verizon is stressing LTE support. HTC did not want to mod the 8S to support it. They only carry three Android phones now that do not have LTE and those will be gone in six months. All the old Blackberries without LTE will be gone when BB10 hits. All the Windows Phones will very soon once the Trophy is removed. It is very likely that by summer the iPhone 4 and the 4S will be the only smartphones Verizon sells without LTE capability.

I love the 822. LOVE it. The gray is gorgeous and Verizon's shell-holster combo is excellent. Nice rubberized plastic that feels solid and has a good grip.

I'm becoming a Nokia ****** with this phone, I must admit. They update their apps frequently. The design is quite nice - not cumbersome, but substantial. I really do think Nokia brings so much to Windows Phone - so combining the two is brilliant. And I've never really thought much of Nokia in the past.

They have a new app that hit AT&T first but just become available on the 822 and it made me giggle with delight - Photobeamer. I showed that and City Lens to some Apple friends and their jaws dropped. It's not just one or two Nokia apps. Cinemagraph is very cool, basically a simple animated GIF creator that anyone can use. Creative Studio is a very simple and efficient photo tweaker that adds some common effects to change the overall color and feel of the picture. They have some nice customer lenses that are quite nice.

I'm not one who was as interested in the Pureview camera, but the lack of internal storage and Gorilla Glass on the 820 made it so I was more interested in the 920. Then the 8X was announced and I really liked it, but the storage troubled me (I like to keep a lot of local music on my phone). I then heard about the 822 and saw that it fixed my two issues - adding GG2 and bumping it up to 16GB, but I was not a fan of the images I saw at first. It looks much better in person. I do like the look of the 920 and 820 better overall, but I do like the 822's looks too.

I don't think there's a bad looking WP8 handset at this point. The 8X is a nice looker too. So is the 8S. The ATIV S is a more generic looking smartphone, but still looks good. And the Nokia 620 might be the best looking of them all.

But I'm very happy with my 822. Not sure I want any other WP8 device other than a Nokia built one after using this. Drive+ offline was fantastic. I'm very happy with the handset. Other family members got the black versions. Having seen and held all the colors, I think the gray is the best of the bunch. I would have loved to have that Cyan model that we've seen pictures of - and I believe they have cyan, red, and pink possibly coming early next year. There may even be a yellow.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Do you feel the 922/1022 would be announced at MWC in February?

That's a tough one. I'm not sure if it will be, at least not in the Verizon form. The international version of the phone may be announced then, but Verizon tends to not like to announce things early.

Problem #2 is that MWC is a GSM conference run by GSMA. Verizon is a member, but most of their GSM stuff is based on their LTE deployment. I'm not sure a phone with primary voice provided by CDMA2000 would be announced there.

But I would not be surprised if the international version of the new flagship phone would be shown. Verizon's version may have some enhancements. They are really pushing phone makers right now to be sure to incorporate microSD expansion in all the phones because it will allow them to sell microSD directly to customers at a nice profit and increased local storage can limit LTE usage for things like video and music. While VZW does want to have people pay for larger data packages, they do not want their network clogged. It can handle a lot of users, but they are always thinking proactively and are constantly testing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb