IR blaster,mini hdmi or mhl and fm transmitter in next-gen lumias

paras chugh

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
nokia has the best innovating hardware but can be better with
1-an IR blaster for tv and home theatre remote and an app for that
2-don't know why nokia can't introduce mhl or mini hdmi till now in lumia series
3-many cars just have fm radio in them like mine so i need a transmitter desperately and don't wanna carry any BT adapters for this....maybe nokia removed this feature coz of the wp restrictions
i think the 2nd n 3rd one are not there coz of wp restrictions as they worked perfectly on symbian

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Once again this all comes to SoC. All of the WP8 high end models are using the same SoC and that limits the core hardware to be the same on all devices.
We will see what changes there when the next waves of high end models come out from Nokia and HTC along with new SoC and larger OS update.

It's not really the same situation Nokia had with sticking any hardware in wanted on Symbian and doing what it wanted to the OS to support it.

paras chugh

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Once again this all comes to SoC. All of the WP8 high end models are using the same SoC and that limits the core hardware to be the same on all devices.
We will see what changes there when the next waves of high end models come out from Nokia and HTC along with new SoC and larger OS update.

It's not really the same situation Nokia had with sticking any hardware in wanted on Symbian and doing what it wanted to the OS to support it.
does android not have these soC limitations as they have 2 of rhe above stated features ???

Mirtas

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
does android not have these soC limitations as they have 2 of rhe above stated features ???

No Android does not have this limitation.

iOS is specifically designed and optimized for Apple hardware

Android is not designed or optimized for any hardware and it works with everything that is based on the ARM architecture. The advantage is lots of choice, the disadvantage is an OS that is not fully optimized for your hardware. Both in terms of speed and battery life. Just look at benchmarks and battery life. The iPhones perform better with slower hardware and have more battery hours with a much smaller battery

Windows sits between these two. Microsoft has to test and preapprove hardware and there is limited choice. This is to ensure that things run smooth with Windows Phone. The disadvantage is that there is delay in features and hardware.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
No Android does not have this limitation.

iOS is specifically designed and optimized for Apple hardware

Android is not designed or optimized for any hardware and it works with everything that is based on the ARM architecture. The advantage is lots of choice, the disadvantage is an OS that is not fully optimized for your hardware. Both in terms of speed and battery life. Just look at benchmarks and battery life. The iPhones perform better with slower hardware and have more battery hours with a much smaller battery

Windows sits between these two. Microsoft has to test and preapprove hardware and there is limited choice. This is to ensure that things run smooth with Windows Phone. The disadvantage is that there is delay in features and hardware.

Precisely.

Windows Phone is in between iOS and Android. Not as tightly controlled or limited as iOS, but not as flexible as Android. Yet Android's flexibility comes at a cost. Optimization suffers and carriers have full control of updates while the OEMs are half interested in tweaking the Android OS update, so it can take a long time before a new Android release is ready for your device. While Portico took some time for several carriers, I know from VZW that it is the hope of MS, Nokia, and VZW that future updates will roll within a week of MS releasing the update. The hope to have WP Blue go out to all devices close to simultaneously. That does not happen with Android. MS limiting hardware helps to make updates and optimizations more standard.

I expect them to expand screen resolutions, SoC support, and allow for things like mini-HDMI, etc, but give it some time. They don't just let a hardware maker right a driver, not optimize anything, and have at it. When MS does implement it, it likely will work better than it would on most Android devices.

Mirtas

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
The question that remains is why WP is so bad in battery life, despite being optimized for the hardware.

The iPhone 5 with only a 1440 mAh battery can last 44 to 53 hours depending on the reviewer.
The Galaxy SIII with a 2100 mAh battery can last 43 to 51 hours depending on the reviewer.
Yet the Lumia 920 with a 2000 mAh battery can only last 38 to 46 hours depending on the reviewer.

The iPhone 5 has smaller screen, but the SIII has a bigger screen. One might expect WP to be better optimized than Android, but it is not.

finiterex

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
All i can say on battery life is re-flash your device. Re-flashing (particularly on Nokias) seems to result in much better battery status reporting.

Im pretty convinced the issue is an OS issue (remember its really a version 1 OS and iOS was cr*p in its early versions) around background tasks (inc radio and data control), account sync, 3rd party app API integration combined with poor/inaccurate battery status reporting.

I think the later, battery status reporting, is particularly problematic on Nokias so is likely also firmware related.

Whatever the cause though, both MS and the OEMs should be making battery life the top priority to be fixed - before the next major release!

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
The question that remains is why WP is so bad in battery life, despite being optimized for the hardware.

The iPhone 5 with only a 1440 mAh battery can last 44 to 53 hours depending on the reviewer.
The Galaxy SIII with a 2100 mAh battery can last 43 to 51 hours depending on the reviewer.
Yet the Lumia 920 with a 2000 mAh battery can only last 38 to 46 hours depending on the reviewer.

The iPhone 5 has smaller screen, but the SIII has a bigger screen. One might expect WP to be better optimized than Android, but it is not.

My 8X craps all over my S3 as far as battery life goes, and I barely use my S3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb