Makepeace, Talkman, Dempsey leaks?

AlexOwliver

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Trying to start some enthusiasm around here instead of the doom and gloom we've been seeing. . .so 2 questions:

1. Isn't it about time to start seeing the first component leaks for phones that would have a Q1 2015 release date? That seems accurate for the cycle (6~ mos ahead of time)?

2. Do we think that the Nokia roadmap that was leaked earlier this summer (Makepeace, Dempsey, Talkman, Cityman) will continue to be accurate even with the Microsoft Mobile takeover? It would be great if someone from WPCentral would chime in with their more educated opinion about this one. . .

It was painful when 830 came out with the S400, but I think I'm over that hump. N920 will be the first phone I've kept more than 4 years, which says something :) Spring 2015 here I come.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
That we're already hoping for leaks about these devices makes me wonder just how badly the cancellation of "McLaren" is/was for MS. There appears to be quite the void in the high end with both the 1520 getting long in tooth and (at least in the US market) the 930/Icon being largely unavailable but for one carrier.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Those are not the only code names we have not had any leaks on.
I have a list I keep just to see which ones still are hiding in the backroom.
The ones that have nothing but the code name leaked contain
Ara
Leo
Moonraker
Onyx
Peridot
Vantage
Vela
Athena
Libra

So... 9 potential Lumia devices that no one knows anything about but the code name. Who knows if they went the way of McLaren, it does happen all the time, but this one was put out there because the head of the project was canned by Microsoft during the first round of layoffs. The names above were all leaked by well known and respected followers of Microsoft including wpcentral. Just got to sit tight, keep your eyes and ears open and wait :)

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
That we're already hoping for leaks about these devices makes me wonder just how badly the cancellation of "McLaren" is/was for MS. There appears to be quite the void in the high end with both the 1520 getting long in tooth and (at least in the US market) the 930/Icon being largely unavailable but for one carrier.

And that's why I got the new iPhone. Had MS released McLaren or something similar, I would have grabbed it.

FeedTheShark

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I really don't understand the big deal about the McLaren, it sounded like overkill; too many gimmicks that would have made it too expensive (like too many Nokia phones from the past). It would also bring fragmentation to WP, features that are only on one phone, would have little software support and an uncertain future. Better to stick to just improving the specs on camera, screen, processor, etc. Unless you are Apple and making your own phone then you can't so easily branch out and innovate like that.

I can see how if they'd put all their efforts into it (eggs in one basket so to speak) and it was cancelled it'd set them back, but otherwise I don't see why they can't (at the very least) do an Apple and come out with a 1020s. Bump the specs a bit, shave off a mm & gramm or 2, the camera can even remain the same it's amazing already, just the phone needs a wee spec bump to make things speedier. Sure I'd prefer something more interesting than that (still waiting for them to do something with the tech from Pelican for instance) but otherwise just a improvement like the 730 from the 720, 830 from 820, 930 from 920, etc.

A modest improvement to give a flagship than can undercut the price of the new iPhones by a good $?100 or so. Announce it now so anyone foolish enough to consider an iPhone (sorry maevinj*) would stop and wait, then launch in late October/early November in time for the holiday season and far enough after the iPhone launch so it doesn't get lost.

* - Sure the iPhone 6 is a great phone, but iOS just doesn't have the fun and function WP has, and looking forward to the benefits Threshold will bring I could never jump ship to an iPhone now. For many people I would recommend the iPhone if they need all the latest apps, but otherwise I think WP & Lumia's are the better phones.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Trying to start some enthusiasm around here instead of the doom and gloom we've been seeing. . .
Thank you for that!

1. Isn't it about time to start seeing the first component leaks for phones that would have a Q1 2015 release date? That seems accurate for the cycle (6~ mos ahead of time)?
Well, we do have an unverified device front glass leak so far, and we have an unsubstantiated rumour about an upcoming imaging flagship. It's nothing convincing so far, but then again; no early rumour is ever convincing.

2. Do we think that the Nokia roadmap that was leaked earlier this summer (Makepeace, Dempsey, Talkman, Cityman) will continue to be accurate even with the Microsoft Mobile takeover?
Considering how far into the future that roadmap went, one could probably argue it was never accurate. Essentially what the roadmap promised was the 530, 730 and 830 (confirmed and released), McLaren (cancelled), flagships for spring (verified via Microsoft executives) and further flagships for autumn 2015 (over a year ahead and as such highly likely to change).

I do hope we get some more substantial rumours soon, if only just to keep the spirits high.

I really don't understand the big deal about the McLaren, it sounded like overkill; too many gimmicks that would have made it too expensive (like too many Nokia phones from the past). It would also bring fragmentation to WP, features that are only on one phone, would have little software support and an uncertain future. Better to stick to just improving the specs on camera, screen, processor, etc. Unless you are Apple and making your own phone then you can't so easily branch out and innovate like that.

Remember that Goldfinger/McLaren was pioneered for years by Nokia, not Microsoft. Whereas Microsoft may want more OEMs in on their OS, Nokia wanted to be a dominant force. If a manufacturer truly wants to strike big, merely upgrading specifications isn't enough to win the crowd. As it looks right now, Microsoft has no immedate plans to resume work on the 3D touch interface, probably for the reasons you mentioned.

I for one would love a more intuitive interaction with my flagship smartphone. If done correctly, it doesn't have to mean ecosystem fragmentation.

FeedTheShark

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Well, we do have an unverified device front glass leak so far, and we have an unsubstantiated rumour about an upcoming imaging flagship. It's nothing convincing so far, but then again; no early rumour is ever convincing.
There's been enough leaks over the year that we can hope to see something new. Whatever happened to that metal chassis based phone (quick google - Aluminum Nokia EOS chassis leaks out, 41 MP PureView sensor stamped in - can't believe that was so long ago). Good to hear the news of a thinner 1020 in the works, really hope that rumour bears fruits soon as that's personally sounds like the phone I'm wanting.

Remember that Goldfinger/McLaren was pioneered for years by Nokia, not Microsoft. Whereas Microsoft may want more OEMs in on their OS, Nokia wanted to be a dominant force. If a manufacturer truly wants to strike big, merely upgrading specifications isn't enough to win the crowd. As it looks right now, Microsoft has no immedate plans to resume work on the 3D touch interface, probably for the reasons you mentioned.

I for one would love a more intuitive interaction with my flagship smartphone. If done correctly, it doesn't have to mean ecosystem fragmentation

Well Nokia had 90+% of the WP market, but yes they needed something to get headlines to regain share in the overall phone market and I guess something like the McLaren could have done that. That said the 1020 was (and still is) a leap ahead of any other phone camera wise and didn't do enough to win converts from iOS and Android so not sure if McLaren would be the answer either. I also think MS aren't doing enough to promote the camera on the 930, 1520 and other phones that have borrowed from the 1020 with more palatable prices (although still not mainstream enough prices).

I guess looking forward it's not just Nokia now so there's no point putting something like that into just one Nokia phone. If however MS can make those innovations a part of WP9 as a whole (along with everything else that's rumoured for it) and all OEMs can benefit from it then that could be something that could really shake up the industry and move people to the WP ecosystem.

AlexOwliver

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
There's been enough leaks over the year that we can hope to see something new. Whatever happened to that metal chassis based phone (quick google - Aluminum Nokia EOS chassis leaks out, 41 MP PureView sensor stamped in - can't believe that was so long ago). Good to hear the news of a thinner 1020 in the works, really hope that rumour bears fruits soon as that's personally sounds like the phone I'm wanting.

That chassis is the white stag of the WP world haha. Never to be seen again! Nice to know that there's development that goes on in the background and doesn't reach these pages...though it would be nicer if it did ;)

Logically, the Makepeace is the Lumia 940, correct? Right timeframe, right positioning? I understand that timing is predicated on the launch of WP9, but it would be great to see it around the original timeframe of the Icon/930 - early December 2014. In March - April, it will compete with the One M9 and the Galaxy S6. . .

FeedTheShark

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I guess that chassis was just a test for shape/weight and never destined for production. No doubt such things will all be done using 3D models these days in-house at MS so I don't expect us to see anymore of them.

You mean Windows 10 of course :)

I thought the Makepeace was an AT&T exclusive (Icon replacement), so perhaps it'll still come early there, and then in April/May as the 940 for the rest of the world. It would be nice if they could get all the next series of top-range phones out for the holidays (940, 1040, 1540) with promises that they'll be the first to get upgraded to Windows 10 the following year. I really don't want to wait another 9 months for an upgrade when it's already been a struggle to see why I'd upgrade from the 920.

I feel it's time for a clean slate with naming as well, stop the old Nokia number naming scheme as there's just too many and it's confusing. Not that names are always better especially given how many phones are in the Lumia range, but with everyone else using revision (3, 4, 5, etc) and size (Plus, Mini, Tab, etc) I think it may work better. So instead of the following 8:-

Lumia 540 - small screen low-range
Lumia 640 - large screen low-range
Lumia 740 - mid-range
Lumia 840 - "affordable flagship"
Lumia 940 - flagship
Lumia 1040 - flagship with improved camera
Lumia 1320 - large screen mid-range
Lumia 1540 - large-screen flagship

let's use some Latin and also I'd position the 8 series as the main line to have far lower prices than Samsung and Apple. The 9 series should be seen as more premium, so the base 840 will be the Lumia 10 and the 940. So using a bit of Latin, how about:-

Lumia 10 Parva (Mini)
Lumia 10 Magna (Grand)
Lumia 10 Medius (Selfie, I dunno, struggling with this name no wonder Nokia stuck with numbers - the difference between the 7 & 8 series is slight).
Lumia 10
Lumia 10 Pureview
Lumia 10 Pureview Tabula (or Pureview Pro)
Lumia 10 Maximus
Lumia 10 Pureview Magna (Pureview Grand)

and the Surface mini can be Surface Tabula Rasa

Ok, that was a waste of 15 minutes, maybe they should stick with numbers!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon