USB Type-C

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

Wanted to start a discussion on the new USB Type-C interface and how it relates to the future of Windows Phone. The USB-IF has announced that Type-C connectors will be available sometime early next year. With the added benefits of more power, DisplayPort using Alt Mode and it being the future universal standard, what does everyone think about the next round of high end devices from Microsoft. Are they waiting for USB Type-C before releasing the successors to the Lumia 1020 and 1520? For me, I would be willing to wait a few more months to have it in my phone. Hopefully some more info about the timeline comes out soon.

Dustin

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I really dislike new USB type because it is not natively backward compatible. We made a huge success as an industry when we all agreed (other than crApple) to use the same standard. If they can make it totally backward-compatible, fine, but I don't see that happening. This will create more confusion as people less apt to follow mobile sales will suddenly find themselves stuck with useless legacy accessories *again*.
Of course, if that changes, yeah this'll be sweet.

Source: Checked C-net to quickly check backward compatibility.

rhamblet

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I really dislike new USB type because it is not natively backward compatible. We made a huge success as an industry when we all agreed (other than crApple) to use the same standard. If they can make it totally backward-compatible, fine, but I don't see that happening. This will create more confusion as people less apt to follow mobile sales will suddenly find themselves stuck with useless legacy accessories *again*.
Of course, if that changes, yeah this'll be sweet.

Source: Checked C-net to quickly check backward compatibility.
The piece that your not getting is that we did this already with mini to micro, and that wasn't an issue. It's not like we are changing for no reason, there are benefits to USB-C.

Also, keep in mind, this isn't one vendor whoring the spec like Apple and lightning, this is a relatively open standard and cheap cables will be available rather quickly, just like what happened with micro. The cable makers doing have to reverse engineer a spec like with lightning.

I, for one, am very excited for USB-C and am very happy it's saving us from micro USB 3.0, the ugliest port/cable ever designed. (looking at you Samsung)

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
The piece that your not getting is that we did this already with mini to micro, and that wasn't an issue. It's not like we are changing for no reason, there are benefits to USB-C.

Also, keep in mind, this isn't one vendor whoring the spec like Apple and lightning, this is a relatively open standard and cheap cables will be available rather quickly, just like what happened with micro. The cable makers doing have to reverse engineer a spec like with lightning.

I, for one, am very excited for USB-C and am very happy it's saving us from micro USB 3.0, the ugliest port/cable ever designed. (looking at you Samsung)
I forgot about mini. Maybe this will be an easy transition too. I'm still fearful, though.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I forgot about mini. Maybe this will be an easy transition too. I'm still fearful, though.

From what I understand, this will be backwards compatible with use of a passive adapter, which should be cheap to manufacture. I am very excited for this, just hoping that the next round of high end Lumias have this built in. If for nothing else than to get it over with and standardize on Type-C as soon as possible. Also, the DisplayPort capabilities using Alt Mode are very interesting, would be cool for presentations using my phone or tablet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos