Is Samsung Forced to Make Windows Phones?

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Something that I've always wondering is, Samsung, being the mobile giant that it is hasn't ever tried very hard on advertising it's Windows Phones or even providing some decent Samsung exclusive apps.

Read this article: Samsung calls Microsoft a direct hardware competitor, refuses to pay royalties | Windows Central

Or if you don't want to read any of that, here's the main part I wanted you to focus on:

1414872667628.jpg

If it's true that Samsung has been "forced" to make and sell Windows Phones instead of paying fees, I have mixed feelings about it.

From a business perspective Microsoft is trying to boost it's own products however it's kind of a **** move promoting a product that has barely any chances of success against Samsung's other devices(which run Android obviously).

Obviously though Samsung isn't really "forced" to do this, it's just an option that is provided to them...but still...what are your thoughts on this?

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't think they were forced into doing anything. But since they already make a ****-ton of different devices, and making a couple of Windows Phones would lower their royalty payments to Microsoft, they probably figured "why not."

Plus, in the advent that their Windows Phone offerings took off and became popular(they didn't) it could have been a win-win situation for them.

My opinion about Samsung and phones is, that they love to customize the everliving **** out of their software. Look at the bloated mess that TouchWiz is, they love that ****. With Windows Phone OS, they can't do that, they can't make the experience "unique" to their devices. I don't think they really like Windows Phone because of this, and it shows in how little they've promoted their Windows Phone offerings throughout the years.

Just my 2 cents.

supersmex

May 29, 2014
Visit site
It probably did have a lot to do with patents same with HTC probably. I mean whatever agreements they make as companies they should finish their end. The proof is basically in the pudding since Nokia managed to pull it off somewhat. I myself wouldn't have minded buying and htc 8s or a samsung phone but they didn't even really try to sell us on anything in the US at least.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they really like Windows Phone because of this, and it shows in how little they've promoted their Windows Phone offerings throughout the years.

Samsung released the very first WP8 device with the Odyssey on Verizon. Even though it's not exactly a visual tour de force, the Ativ SE trumps most Nokias on specs and features (External storage, removable battery, IR blaster, HD AMOLED display). I wouldn't say Samsung is a token presence on Windows. In the WP7 area, Samsung had the best, and best selling, devices. Even as far back as Windows Mobile, Samsung had the best equipped devices with the lone exception of the HTC HD2. The Omnia II and i8000 had the only AMOLED displays, the largest displays (except the HD2) and the best cameras.

People have been led to believe that WP begins and ends with Nokia and that simply isn't so. Except for their recent financial troubles keeping them out of WP8, even HTC has released some of the most kickass devices ever on the WP platform. The aforementioned HD2 was an engineering homerun that will probably never be equaled.

If Samsung was indeed forced to make WP devices, they should send someone at MS a "thank you" card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire