Predicting the next Lumia devices for 2015

NairobiWP

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
The Lumia 532, 435 and Lumia 535 show that Microsoft is reacting quickly to products that didn't do as well as they hoped. As such, I wondered which other devices might we see in 2015. By mapping all the Lumia devices launched since WP8, we can take an educated guess on what else we can expect this year:

Predicting_WP_2015[1].png
Note:
  1. Launch Prices as listed by Nokia / Microsoft (before taxes or subsidies).
  2. It's remarkable how much the prices have dropped since the launch of the platform in October 2010.
  3. Microsoft's product cycle is roughly 1 year (though that shortened in 2014 with low end devices and lengthened with high end devices)

2015 Q2 (MWC or Build)
  • Lumia 630 refresh. This device needs a RAM bump to 1 GB, front facing camera and rear facing flash to keep it differentiated from the cheaper 535 and 532.
  • Lumia 1330. Replaces the Lumia 1320. Interestingly if this device is priced well below the 830, it will turn the affordable flagship into a rubber duck.
  • Lumia 1030 (this a long shot :smile:). It would make sense to release it now since it's a niche high end device ( but not necessarily a flagship). Not only would it satisfy the people look for a high end Lumia, it would keep Microsoft in the News cycle until the Windows 10 mobile ships.

2015 Q3/Q4 (Windows 10 Mobile release)
  • Lumia 940 True flagship device
  • Lumia 1540 Phablet flagship. Showcases the power of Windows 10 on a large screen device. Hopefully it will come with digital ink support

I'd love to hear what the rest of the community thinks.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping for a 1030, but eager for a device that sports an 810 Snapdragon. I also worry that they may throw out a token high end phone before W10, that is then hugely outgunned when they power up for the W10 release and launch a stellar flagship range. I sincerely hope they don't launch the 1030 yet, although you make a compelling argument for thinking they might.

NairobiWP

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
The challenge with the 1030 is its complicated imaging algorithms. Thus unless the Lumia team had early access to 810 hardware, it's unlikely we will see a 1030 with that SOC. I do agree that the 1030 deserves that chip.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Sadly, the 810 may also be delayed. So they may not get access to until mid to late quarter 2. Not looking promising for inclusion this side of summer.

frithy

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't the 810 have serious issues so far to the point Samsung is dropping them entirely for the S6 in favor of their Exynos?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft if they want too; could go with the 805 SoC and in the Fall/4th quarter jump over the 810 into the 815 SoC!

It really is not that simple.

There are supply chains, production capacities and supplier relationships to take into account along with economies of scale.

Production capacity is the first limiter. Only so many chipsets can get manufactured at a time. Of those, so many are preordered by the top tier OEMs and they get first shipment preference based mostly on the number of units. How many OEMs manufacture a greater number of units with a given chipset than Microsoft will? A lot. Samsung, HTC, LG, etc. Also consider favoritism from long term relationships with the chip makers. Then the chipsets need to get from the manufacturer to an assembly point. That point needs to have been prepped on device assembly, QA, etc.

If I had a final design on paper right now. Right this second. And it called for a SnapDragon 805, I'd really have to fight for supply, rush to get my assembly set up and get ALL my components in the pipeline. That process, even streamlined, takes at least 6 months for the largest OEMs, possibly much longer for a second tier OEM like Lumia. Yes, sad to say, Lumia is not a top tier OEM getting preferential choice of components.

The birth of a cell phone - CNET

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It really is not that simple.

There are supply chains, production capacities and supplier relationships to take into account along with economies of scale.

Production capacity is the first limiter. Only so many chipsets can get manufactured at a time. Of those, so many are preordered by the top tier OEMs and they get first shipment preference based mostly on the number of units. How many OEMs manufacture a greater number of units with a given chipset than Microsoft will? A lot. Samsung, HTC, LG, etc. Also consider favoritism from long term relationships with the chip makers. Then the chipsets need to get from the manufacturer to an assembly point. That point needs to have been prepped on device assembly, QA, etc.

If I had a final design on paper right now. Right this second. And it called for a SnapDragon 805, I'd really have to fight for supply, rush to get my assembly set up and get ALL my components in the pipeline. That process, even streamlined, takes at least 6 months for the largest OEMs, possibly much longer for a second tier OEM like Lumia. Yes, sad to say, Lumia is not a top tier OEM getting preferential choice of components.

The birth of a cell phone - CNET

Qualcomm will more then ample supply of their Snapdragon 810 SoC for Microsoft. Samsung Galaxy upcoming S6 is going with in house SoC. Rumor is that the S5; even poor sales account for 1/4 of all 801 SoC produced on their exported versions.

Tornado92

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I think there's also going to be a low-end Windows 10 phone by the time Windows 10 (for phone) is released.

The flagship of Windows 10 for phone will grab the attention of the consumer towards Windows 10, while the low-end phone will be the big seller and be a tool to increase the market share of Windows 10 (phone) and entice more developer to develop on Windows 10.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Just put the 1020 camera into the 1520. Then also make a smaller version for those who can't handle the size. Just make sure the camera is fast.... and we're done...

jpal12

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft should launch an updated 639/634 and 1335 later this year. The 639 should have a 5.0" 720p screen, 1 GB RAM, a snapdragon 410, a 6.7 MP main camera with flash, and a 5 MP front camera with the same design an dimensions as the 635. The 1335 should be a 5.7" version of the 639. Then after windows 10 launches they should launch 3 phones, a 940, a 1040, and a 1540. They should all have 1080p screens, 2-4 GB RAM, the fastest snapdragon available, a pureview back camera (Similar to the 92x), a 5 MP front camera, and expandable storage. The difference would be that the 1540 would have a 5.7" screen, and the 1040 and 940 would have 5.0" screens, and that the 1040 would have a 41 MP camera.

chinmayh

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I suspect the 1520 will be discontinued soon, which also makes me think a new version might be launched soon.
I was confused if I should wait or go for the 1520, when I visited some of the stores in Mumbai,India most of the stores had limited choice of color. In one of the stores I was offered a discount for purchasing the display device - which is a clear indication of discontinuing a phone.

I hope a newer improved version of the 1520 is launched soon, let me know your views on this.
I currently use a Nokia 925.

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
First, the size sweet spot in the industry is 5-5.5". I'd not make any flagship 6". Wireless charging is a must. Make it light. One thing I hate about the Icon is its weight. Give it SD card expandability. Have several color options. Windows 10 right out of the box. Internals adequate for two years. 20 mp camera on back, 5 on front. No numbered models...give it a brand name everybody will identity with.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
First, the size sweet spot in the industry is 5-5.5". I'd not make any flagship 6".
Very true. 90% of the time I only use my right hand. And its usually just my thumb including texting on word flow.
6in is slightly cumbersome even for my fairly large hands.
But what ever is released, the main thing I want is superb camera shots in low light. I can recall everyone's reactions to 920's capability when it came out. Brings s tear to the eyes.

Aziz Abdurachman

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I think Microsoft would release the successors of 1320 & 1520 soon, before W10 release. Since there is two phone that rumored have 5.7", RM-1067 & RM-1062. Along with RM-1072, the cheap version of 830.
And followed by RM-1077 & RM-1099 which is might be successor of 930 or 1020 (that doesn't have x30/x35 yet) to complete the number third generation of Lumia.
Lumia Table.png
The mysterious phone is already passed certification, so it must be WP8.1, not W10 since W10 is not even beta yet, but it will be "Windows 10 Ready".

And Windows 10 release won't be any sooner than this October. So, there is a plenty of time to release another WP8.1 phone.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think Microsoft would release the successors of 1320 & 1520 soon, before W10 release. Since there is two phone that rumored have 5.7", RM-1067 & RM-1062. Along with RM-1072, the cheap version of 830.
And followed by RM-1077 & RM-1099 which is might be successor of 930 or 1020 (that doesn't have x30/x35 yet) to complete the number third generation of Lumia.
View attachment 94975
The mysterious phone is already passed certification, so it must be WP8.1, not W10 since W10 is not even beta yet, but it will be "Windows 10 Ready".

And Windows 10 release won't be any sooner than this October. So, there is a plenty of time to release another WP8.1 phone.

I think you may be one of the most well researched posters on this forum regarding the topic of emerging hardware.

And a very nice presentation.

Kudos, sir.

Aziz Abdurachman

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Hello again, I'm here to update my table, hope it doesn't bother you :)
2015 tabe.png
Rumor for now RM-1141 is a 5 inch mid range Lumia.

More from Indonesian Postel here

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99