Sony confirms that it has no plans to release Windows Phones and tablets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogozinski

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Sony has no plans to release Windows smartphones or Windows tablets. The system, according to the company, simply can not compete with Android.

That says Stephen Sneeden, product marketing manager at Sony, facing NU.nl.

A year ago, Sneeden said that Sony was considering Windows Phones. "That this has not happened in a year, says something," says Sneeden. "It is now more unlikely that we will make Windows products than a year ago."

He praises the way it is possible to adjust Sony's taste in Android. "That is not possible in Windows."

According Sneeden, Android has recently made a big progression, so that there are no longer grounds to also focus on Windows. He called "Android for Work", a business version of Android where companies can set different environments, enables business applications and where communication can encrypt.

Sneeden also praises the 64-bit architecture of Android Lollipop, the latest version of Android. Therefore, the system can handle much heavier tasks. "Android is becoming a PC replacement. Just look at the Office apps."

Cheap smartphones

Sneeden denied in the interview that Sony is not going to make any cheap smartphones anymore. That seemed to be for a while, after Sony during poor results announced, to focus on fewer devices and especially the high-end market.

According to the marketing manager at Sony, the company remains make cheap devices, only a lot less. He argues that entry models can ensure that new customers choose later for high-end products.

Source: nu.nl (sorry if my translation is not 100%)

spideymaniac

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Well, they are in a bad shape anyway, it's actually doubtful they can survive by making smartphone anyway

It's okay if they don't want it, Microsoft can make WP just fine with Lumia

Laurence_Leong

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, I think that its because of Sony not doing well on smart phone market...+ window phone is a small market compared to android
Sony might not want to take the risk and the cost to invest in WP
Personally,I like the design of Sony's phone. I think they should release a WP model based existing Xperia android model to test the market without having to invest to much cost on the design of the phone (similar to the HTC M8)

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
With Sonys continued poor build quality, poor customer service & constant design faults who cares about Sony smart phones. Sony Z series have had screen & back glass cracking issues which has continued with Z1, Z2 & the Z3. The water resistance isn't any good on them either.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Grain of salt...Sony has been debunking Windows rumors for quite a while.

What these companies say and what they do are usually two different things.
Doesn't necessarily mean they never will.

The economics of business is a fluid landscape.
We all know Sony has made serious mistakes before they just can't afford to any more.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
With Sonys continued poor build quality, poor customer service & constant design faults who cares about Sony smart phones. Sony Z series have had screen & back glass cracking issues which has continued with Z1, Z2 & the Z3. The water resistance isn't any good on them either.

Having personally owned 2 Xperia flagships, I don't agree with your "poor build quality" sentiment at all. The phones are glass and aluminum, they're imo a thing of beauty. As for the "glass cracking," they're just like most flagships built today, if you drop them, they break. Many Lumia screens break on the first drop as well.

anon(8063781)

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Having personally owned 2 Xperia flagships, I don't agree with your "poor build quality" sentiment at all. The phones are glass and aluminum, they're imo a thing of beauty. As for the "glass cracking," they're just like most flagships built today, if you drop them, they break. Many Lumia screens break on the first drop as well.

I agree with you regarding build quality. My Sony tablet has great build quality, and it seems indestructible. However, adding Windows to it would have been brilliant, since the android updates stopped after a year.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
All those unhappy Sony Xperia Z, Z1, Z2 & Z3 customers moaning over on the official Sony phone forum must be imagining all the issues there suffering then.
There are a hell of a lot of reports of glass fronts & / or backs cracking when the phone gets hot & / or just on charge.

lkcbharath

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
You guys didn't get it when Sony released that WP app to convince us to switch to Sony Xperia. I would've gave my money to them if they actually spent some money in WP, instead of Nokia.

Probably partly the reason is no customizability across manufacturers (Huawei-esque), the second - Xbox. Sony compete with Xbox using Playstation, so would it make sense to have a competitors app built in and unremovable, instead of theirs?

Gabriel Olaru

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site

I had Xperia Z and i currently have xperia Z1 and i don't have any of this issues. The water resistance is only in fresh water, if some people would read the book they would have known that if u put that phone in salty water it will be destroyed :) so your statement is useless.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Sony will not release any tablet huh? Isn't they have touch enabled laptop? With detachable keyboard.

Isn't that practically tablet too?

alexander0311

May 28, 2014
Visit site
well...i analized what that guy said and by far not because of "rejecting wp" i can say: now i see why sony is doing "so gooood". i mean...look at this guy closed sight. and how he talks as if he doesnt know anything about smartphones. android replacing pc? how, you mr retarded? office is all you know to do on a pc? bad for you. i really dont care about sony. i was never impressed with their devices anyway. if i would have to choose from a android world, one with only samsung and sony, except from the new retarded s6 era, i would have always chose samsung.
but you know what android player i beg to come to our ecosystem? LG. so sony...we dont need your crap devices anyway.

PS: good luck in making your smarphone division succeed by not providing enough entry-levels so ppl can "test" your environment without risking a crapload of money on a high-end that they might not like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3