Microsoft Surface

ALborntoride

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Discuss?? What's there to discuss. ;) I want it!!!! But seriously after watching the liveblog and seeing the specs i seriously want a Surface Pro now. Now it would have been nice to know what the price and availability is but i'm sure as fall draws closer that will be revealed. If the Pro is prices in line with the ipad and has a generous app market available day one then Microsoft has a winner indeed. The Tablet wars just got a lot more interesting for sure.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The pro will not be priced like an iPad. MS said the RT will be priced like comprable ARM tabs and the pro will be priced like comprable Ultra Books. Since UltraBooks start at $800, I would expect the Pro to come in some where between $800-$1000 for the 64 GB and $1000-$1200 for the 128 GB. The Pro is made to target the macbook air and will be priced accordingly.

That said, if the Pro comes in at $800, has NO fan noise what-so-ever, and delivers battery life on par with current UltraBooks, I just mat get one. IUf any one of those factors isn't mer, I'll save some cash and get the RT.

Either way, a Surface will be replacing my '09 MacBook.

Last edited:

pedenske

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I had decided I wanted a win 8 tablet but it depended on the hardware. Well I think this just convinced me on this one. Likely the RT seeing as its smaller and lighter though it depends on the performance/battery life/pricing of the pro versions but if it is going to be the estimated 800+ then RT for sure.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm still deciding which one I should get. I believe the "Pen with Palm Block" (as the spec sheet says) is exclusive to the Pro and I want that to doodle/underline/highlight/take notes/comment on my books (something I've always wanted to do on my Kindle.. pft)

Also, the Pro has Full HD, but I'm not sure how necessary that is on a mobile device. The RT has everything else, from a lighter and thinner design to Office built-in and a smaller price tag. Anyway, it's not whether I get it or not, it's which one! Microsoft has done this right.

EDIT: And... I forgot to say that FINALLY I can get a tablet that meets my needs. I've held off iPads and Kindle Fire's for some time now and it had been becoming harder and harder to resist. $199 almost got me this past Christmas...

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I had decided I wanted a win 8 tablet but it depended on the hardware. Well I think this just convinced me on this one. Likely the RT seeing as its smaller and lighter though it depends on the performance/battery life/pricing of the pro versions but if it is going to be the estimated 800+ then RT for sure.

The cheapest of UltraBooks come in at $799, so I really think the Pro will come in at least at $800. MS may surprise us and release it at $700. I don't think it will be $1,000, but wouldn't be surprised if the 128 GB came it around that. I think most likely a 64 GB will come in at $800-$900. I would almost put money on it.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I need that tablet in my life.

That makes two of us. I cannot think of anything I want in a tablet that the Surface doesn't give me. I don't see how other OEM's will compete in the tablets space other than on price. The laptop/convertible segment is still wide open to them, but MS just locked up the Windows Tablet space IMO.

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I was waiting to see what Nokia did with the tablet but I want this one. Nokia would have to blow me away with something even more amazing than this. Microsoft just slapped apple in the face. Tim cooks failure to recognize convergence will be their downfall.

They have one to match the color of the Lumia 900 I want. cool

AzD

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Its about price for me. I want an ARM version but it needs to be priced right. In the $300 range. Not holding my breath on that one. Looks really nice, though.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
They can pretty much just take my money already. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
That agreement I've had with my wife for 17 years regarding mutual consent on purchases over $200 just took a 747 out of town (more like the Concorde). That RT will be mine. Keeping the ThinkPad just in case, though. BTW, I've kept my divorce lawyer on speed dial since wife #1.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Why do people expect this to be priced so cheaply? It has an all metal construction, an excellent design, 32 GB of memory, a premium processor and a 10+" HD screen. Show me any company where you can get those specs for $300. $500 is perfectly fair given the hardware. The pro is spec'd like an $800-$1,000 laptop and I keep seeing people say it needs to be $500. What about this are people not understanding?

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I think I've just about had it with The Verge's community. There was a guy arguing with me about the existence of cameras on the Microsoft Surface tablets. Their freaking existence, right in the face of a live blog and press shots.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
take-my-money.jpg

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
It's hilarious seeing Apple and RIM enthusiasts get up in arms about PRICING POINTS. I'm usually not one to heckle at the competition, but this deserves to be pointed out. Really? The aging mobile company that charges 250 on contract for outdated tech and the other company that doesn't even know how to spell "bargain" has enthusiasts upset about pricing?

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think I've just about had it with The Verge's community. There was a guy arguing with me about the existence of cameras on the Microsoft Surface tablets. Their freaking existence, right in the face of a live blog and press shots.

I hate that site in general, from the editors to the members

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Why do people expect this to be priced so cheaply? It has an all metal construction, an excellent design, 32 GB of memory, a premium processor and a 10+" HD screen. Show me any company where you can get those specs for $300. $500 is perfectly fair given the hardware. The pro is spec'd like an $800-$1,000 laptop and I keep seeing people say it needs to be $500. What about this are people not understanding?
To steal a page from Slick Willie, "it's the economy, stupid". All kidding aside, times are tough and people are starting to believe in fairies. There will be those who rush out to buy these without thinking and then a few months down the road comes buyer's remorse. Those tablets will end up on eBay cheap-er and everybody will expect that kind of pricing.

I understand that MS needs to make a name for itself in the marketplace so you may see some promotional pricing. But as you said, the specs are there for these tablets to be sold at premium price points.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I really want one, but if it doesn't have some sort of non-wifi connection, I'll be looking at something else. I absolutely hate the interface on my ipad, but being able to use it anywhere is pretty amazing, and that functionality is non-negotiable on my list of must haves.

Also, they announced this way to early. Imagine the hype if Ballmer said "we'll be shipping this July 1." Three months is a long time to wait, and an eternity in the electronics business.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
All true. But up until now, all of the iPad competing tablets have been disappointing, at best. So they have been unloaded at deep discounts, sold as refurbs (after most everyone returned their purchase).

But the Surface is different. It will be able to compete head to head with the iPad and will therefore demand a similar pricing model. Don't expect to see an avalanche of users returning these gems.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12