The ignorance has begun

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
So the detractors' stance is that metro UI apps are lacking and that it could head the route of the HP Touchpad/Playbook.

- Either tablet is basically giving you the capability of a full fledge laptop, not just a bigger version of the Phone OS.

- The apps that are lacking, the major ones have web compatible ones. Words With Friends can be played on facebook, Hulu can be viewed on the website, etc. You can't do that with the Touchpad and the Playbook.

I can understand if it doesn't appeal to you, but coming up with these nonsensical excuses shows that for some reason you're worried.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Don't bother. Once anything gets big, the carelessly ignorant flood the community. Classic case: PS Vita forums. It was a perfect community of enthusiasts, up until about 2 months after launch, when the usual riff raff started leaking in. It wasn't long before the "purchase justifiers," pirates in "emulator backup" clothing, and spoiled brats expected of any small electronic device community took over the place.

Just learn to ignore judiciously. If you don't like something, close it and move on.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I saw this coming a mile away. Every device that has potential to make some noise in the market will get its share of detractors. I made a thread on another site just posting the preorder site, and it was subsequently torn apart by many there - it was done politely for the most part, but it was basically written off in short order.

No matter how vendor neutral a site may be, partisan opinions always seem to take over. Nature of the beast and all that...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I saw this coming a mile away. Every device that has potential to make some noise in the market will get its share of detractors. I made a thread on another site just posting the preorder site, and it was subsequently torn apart by many there - it was done politely for the most part, but it was basically written off in short order.

No matter how vendor neutral a site may be, partisan opinions always seem to take over. Nature of the beast and all that...
Every new device, as you mention, threatens only those ignorant minions who don't bother to research devices for their own particular needs and purchase what's "in". I would love to have a Surface Pro, but my trusty old HP TC4400 is doing the job and I don't feel the need to bash any of the new devices because my needs are being met. Have you ever seen one of those beauty pageant judges constantly criticizing all the contestants? Makes you wonder what they have at home.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Don't bother. Once anything gets big, the carelessly ignorant flood the community. Classic case: PS Vita forums. It was a perfect community of enthusiasts, up until about 2 months after launch, when the usual riff raff started leaking in. It wasn't long before the "purchase justifiers," pirates in "emulator backup" clothing, and spoiled brats expected of any small electronic device community took over the place.

Just learn to ignore judiciously. If you don't like something, close it and move on.

That is almost a reason to hope WP never becomes popular ;) For the most part this has so far been a great community that offers lots of food for thought.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, and? What's wrong with having been around in the 60's?

Nothing. My point was that you need to have computer experience dating back at least ten years to ever have encountered a blue screen, as they are extremely rare these days. In other words, using that argument pretty much discredits the person doing so, since Microsoft and the IT industry have moved on.

Last edited:

trazer

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I see several BSODs a day, so they are not as rare as you think lol. I saw one today actually. You just have to work around XP and you'll see them quite often and in business XP is still quite the standard.

Where I work (in IT) all the PC based soft phones only work on XP, so all desktops for the most part are XP. Sucks. Working on an upgrade but whole business phone systems are not cheap.... No one ever wants to spend money on IT lol. :mad:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Nothing. My point was that you need to have computer experience dating back at least ten years to ever have encountered a blue screen, as they are extremely rare these days. In other words, using that argument pretty much discredits the person doing so, since Microsoft and the IT industry has moved on.
Do you have any idea how much XP is still in use? Most health care-related businesses still run XP-based applications. Most estimating programs are also XP-based. They might be rare in the consumer world but certainly not in the business sector.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Do you have any idea how much XP is still in use? Most health care-related businesses still run XP-based applications. Most estimating programs are also XP-based. They might be rare in the consumer world but certainly not in the business sector.
See below.
I see several BSODs a day, so they are not as rare as you think lol. I saw one today actually. You just have to work around XP and you'll see them quite often and in business XP is still quite the standard.

Where I work (in IT) all the PC based soft phones only work on XP, so all desktops for the most part are XP. Sucks. Working on an upgrade but whole business phone systems are not cheap.... No one ever wants to spend money on IT lol. :mad:

Hmm... the vast majority of BSOD's from XP onwards are related to either faulty hardware or buggy drivers. Anything else is an extremely rare issue (one in of a couple million). Faulty hardware usually leads to much more serious problems (not booting at all) which rules out BSOD's. The issues people experienced with buggy drivers were solved long ago by the Windows update service (enterprise and for consumers). That leaves buggy drivers for rather uncommon hardware that doesn't go through Microsoft's certification process as the most "common" culprit.

The Swiss government collects data on IT reliability from most of the medium to large sized companies here (some of which also still use XP). From what you've described your company would definitely top that chart, not. :(

Last edited:

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Not too surprising. Fanboys live to hate any challenger that enters the ring and lots of people just love to hate Microsoft on principle. I used to be one of those people actually and Windows XP was one of the prime reasons. That said Windows 7 and Windows Phone really turned all that around for me. I saw for the first time in my life that Microsoft was actually capable of making well designed, beautiful software that is reliable and conscious of the quality of the end user experience. These days I use several platforms, Mac OS X, Windows Phone, Windows 7 and Android, and I like different things about each of them. iOS has never really done anything for me though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills