Asus' Vivo Tab Smart and Vivo Tab, Transformer Book

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Last edited:

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Transformer Book looks just as awesome as it did in June, but still nothing about the thing i was actually interested about.

Release date and pricing of Asus Transformer 11" i5.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The word is that the 11" and 15" have been put on the backburner and the 13" should be out early next year, could be later. From ultrabooknews.com

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
The word is that the 11" and 15" have been put on the backburner and the 13" should be out early next year, could be later. From ultrabooknews.com

Yeah i did hear that 13" supposedly comes earlier. I was just expecting that would mean 13" comes this month and 11" by end of this year or very early next year.

That sucks if true. To me iPad is better on ARM side compared to W8 and there's really no other full core hybrid out there other than Transformer Book. Need that rigid laptop mode that Surface Pro doesn't offer.
Do i really need to buy Acer W700 without that keyboard possibility... or iPad 3 to replace my old iPad, both for around 600 euros.

Taichi could be another option, but not really happy to drop 1300 euros for it. Especially as it's not exactly what i was looking for.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Frankly, I'm stumped. There really isnt an x86 Atom tablet that isnt either overpriced or lacking something which is why I was going to go for the TBook since it would have been worth the price. Now its either the Asus (at $1000 they are stark, raving mad), Acer W510 (no NFC), Envy X2 (too apple like), Thinkpad 2 (non-folding keyboard), Samsung (plastic crap, no battery in dock), Ideapad Lynx (no rear camera), Dell Latitude 10 (no keyboard), Asus Vivo Smart (no keyboard dock), Acer W700 (no dock, no extra battery).

Not sure why no one seems capable of releasing a device that is either reasonably priced or fully featured. I really think MS will have a problem getting the average consumer on board with these devices. Its like the WP7 launch all over again.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Frankly, I'm stumped. There really isnt an x86 Atom tablet that isnt either overpriced or lacking something which is why I was going to go for the TBook since it would have been worth the price. Now its either the Asus (at $1000 they are stark, raving mad), Acer W510 (no NFC), Envy X2 (too apple like), Thinkpad 2 (non-folding keyboard), Samsung (plastic crap, no battery in dock), Ideapad Lynx (no rear camera), Dell Latitude 10 (no keyboard), Asus Vivo Smart (no keyboard dock), Acer W700 (no dock, no extra battery).

Not sure why no one seems capable of releasing a device that is either reasonably priced or fully featured. I really think MS will have a problem getting the average consumer on board with these devices. Its like the WP7 launch all over again.

I personally can't understand why doesn't all of the manufacturers have Transformer Book like devices. I was not expecting couple of months ago this to be any kind of trouble, more about just picking the device i like the most from 3-4 devices.

Imo while The Verge and other reviewers certainly are not the final word (you buy what you want and need), but i do think they make some real points about the ARM performance and lack of apps. Why would the normal customer buy ARM Windows 8 device over iPad? It's a question that has some merit.

Envy X2 is indeed also one option, but for the price i really don't wanna touch atom.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I personally can't understand why doesn't all of the manufacturers have Transformer Book like devices. I was not expecting couple of months ago this to be any kind of trouble, more about just picking the device i like the most from 3-4 devices.

Imo while The Verge and other reviewers certainly are not the final word (you buy what you want and need), but i do think they make some real points about the ARM performance and lack of apps. Why would the normal customer buy ARM Windows 8 device over iPad? It's a question that has some merit.

Envy X2 is indeed also one option, but for the price i really don't wanna touch atom.

I was going to go Atom for this round since the battery life of core devices wouldnt be that great till next year and Haswell processors but as we've seen, they are vastly overpriced for what is basically a netbook with a detachable touchscreen. Unless Intel and Microsoft are gouging OEM's on prices I find it hard to believe the prices we are seeing today are justifiable.

As for ARM performance, at least with the Asus it seems the lower than expected performance is down to them skimping on the SSD quality, the laptopmag review says the speed is actually less than a traditional hard drive, which is ridiculous. As usual, OEM's use the cheapest, crappiest parts and charge like they use premium components.

Still, MS needs to do some work on performance, app loading times have been mentioned a lot on forums from users running the RTM. Anyone coming from an ipad would instantly mark RT down for the excessive loading times and its something that should have been addressed before release.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
As for ARM performance, at least with the Asus it seems the lower than expected performance is down to them skimping on the SSD quality, the laptopmag review says the speed is actually less than a traditional hard drive, which is ridiculous. As usual, OEM's use the cheapest, crappiest parts and charge like they use premium components.

It seems like Surface RT also only got to 14MB/second speeds. So it could be something inherent to the RT devices using eMMC storage.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It seems like Surface RT also only got to 14MB/second speeds. So it could be something inherent to the RT devices using eMMC storage.

That doesnt bode well for the x86 Vivo Tabs then, use the same kind of storage. Guess the more expensive components went into the higher end core devices.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

I have to say, if your biggest complaint about the X2 is that it is too Apple like that is probably the way to go since it at least has all the hardware you want at a price that isn't crazy person territory. Its got the folding keyboard, rear cam, extra battery, NFC. So the styling isn't quite what you like. 99% of the time you'll be focused on the screen and not even notice what the rest of it looks like.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I have to say, if your biggest complaint about the X2 is that it is too Apple like that is probably the way to go since it at least has all the hardware you want at a price that isn't crazy person territory. Its got the folding keyboard, rear cam, extra battery, NFC. So the styling isn't quite what you like. 99% of the time you'll be focused on the screen and not even notice what the rest of it looks like.

Well there's one other issue, no ports on the tablet itself. When I travel with my Acer W500 I normally just take the tablet portion and use the HDMI output so while I want a keyboard when I'm doing more typing I prefer to travel with just the tablet part so the HP still doesn't quite do it.

And the looks would definitely bug me, not fond of the rounded shape either and I intend to use whatever I get for at least a year before passing it on so i'd rather not go all that time not completely happy with my purchase.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Looks like the Vivo Tab is about to hit shortly, excaliberpc shows it in stock "asus tf810" | EXcaliberPC.com , Sears and Kmart (are they the same company now, their pricing is identical) have listings for it Tf810 from Sears.com, Asus Tf810 from Kmart.com, and even Radioshack has it listed ASUS VivoTab TF810 Docking Station (Gray) : Tablet Docks | RadioShack.com. And the asus FB page says end of November (posted on the 6th).

So anyone still going to bite? I wasnt going to go for this due to the price but I recently bought the RT version and quite liked the build and design of it but the smaller screen size and keyboard plus not being able to use my MS Touch Mouse makes me think I will just get it. The lower price from Sears makes me think there will be some good deals after BF so it may not be so expensive in the end.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Now showing in stock at Amazon from 3rd party sellers, pcrush, buy.com, beach audio. Mine should be here in a few days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism