Nokia to resume development of 10-inch Windows RT tablet, say Taiwan makers

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Monica Chen, Taipei; Adam Hwang, DIGITIMES [Tuesday 18 December 2012]

Nokia has talked about cooperation with Microsoft, Qualcomm and Compal Electronics to resume development of a 10-inch Windows RT tablet, and is likely to unveil the model at the 2013 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain, during February 25-28, according to Taiwan-based supply chain makers.
Nokia originally planned to develop a 10-inch Windows RT tablet equipped with Qualcomm's S4 processor in first-quarter 2012, with Compal to undertake ODM production and initial shipments of 200,000 units to test the market, the sources indicated. But because Microsoft later announced Surface, and the market for Windows 8/RT tablets needed to be proven, Nokia internally focused on smartphones, and delayed the development of the 10-inch Windows RT tablet, the sources pointed out.
As the sales performance for Windows RT tablets has so far been short of expectations, Nokia is evaluating ordered volumes and has not yet decided on its marketing plans, the sources indicated.

ARVI_SD

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Interesting and I want to know what special they could do with tablets like pureview and other cool features on l920.

it should be better than surface and cost less to entice me buying one

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Interesting and I want to know what special they could do with tablets like pureview and other cool features on l920.

it should be better than surface and cost less to entice me buying one

I doubt Nokia will be competing on price, at least globally (who knows with the USA deals again).
There's very little you can do on RT to differentiate on hardware so i hope this means Nokia will join the game with second generation RT hardware and maybe throw stuff like Clear Black or PureMotion to the mix. PureView tech is usually so expensive that it probably makes no sense to include that on tablet.

Owned multiple iPads and Android tablets, maybe took 3 pics in total on those tabs. I mean i have had iPhone 4, Nokia 808 PureView, Lumia 920.... where do i need crappier tablet camera when i got better camera always in my pocket?

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Good. I'm defiantly upgrading the Surface with a Lumia tablet. The Surface is a good tablet but the current specifications are underwhelming. Qualcomm S4 VS Tegra3 makes a huge difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)