Any chance of a Surface tablet with the Intel Atom processor?

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I love the Surface form factor but am unsure of the future of RT variants of Windows 8. I'm aware the Surface Pro is coming at the end of January but the short battery life predictions are killing it for me.

I personally think MS should release a Surface with the new generation Intel Atom inside - you'd get the full Windows 8 experience (apart from seriously intensive apps) in the same form factor as the Surface RT/Pro.

Killer Combo?

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I do not think we will see an Atom powered Surface but I would love it if they did make one. I think MS will leave the Atom powered tablets to their OEM's. I believe the Surface Pro will continue with high powered Intel chips and the next Surface RT will switch to SnapDragon.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Should do I don't see why it would not but I thinking there rotating with the processor manufacture to make it fair. :wink:

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
When the Intel Atom is on 22nm all things change, ARMv7 chips can't compete.
Even the new Snapdragon 800 will get blown away by 22nm Atom.

- Quad Core
- 2.8 GHz
- DX-11
- Ultra low power "Thanks to 22nm"

Should see the new processors Q4 2013. 😎

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
When the Intel Atom is on 22nm all things change, ARMv7 chips can't compete.
Even the new Snapdragon 800 will get blown away by 22nm Atom.

- Quad Core
- 2.8 GHz
- DX-11
- Ultra low power "Thanks to 22nm"

Should see the new processors Q4 2013. 😎

The problem is that atom runs x86 apps and snapdragon runs arm apps. WinRT naturally needs less horsepower/RAM than WinFULL

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The problem is that atom runs x86 apps and snapdragon runs arm apps. WinRT naturally needs less horsepower/RAM than WinFULL

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Thats not a problem but an advantage. The new Atoms will have better performance with x86 programs and improved gaming, out-of-order execution (huge for performance) and will now support USB 3.0, up to 4GB RAM and still have the battery and weight of a typical ARM tablet. Even with slightly less performance than new ARM chips the better x86 performance will make them a far better choice than an ARM device. I doubt OEM's like Acer will make anything compelling for the new Atoms but a Surface device based on this platform would be great. Thin, light, compatible and capable of running x86 software competently - winning combo.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Another strong endorsement here. I almost purchased the Acer because of this draw, but the Surface design was too compelling.

The OEM-sensitivity/respect/interest is one hindrance or disincentive, but another and perhaps more critical one is the Pro being in the portfolio, because running program packages vs. apps is its primary draw for me.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
no, seeing as the surface RT is the main product that runs windows RT, MS putting out an atom will stop RT in its tracks, so no. I think once a 2nd gen surface comes out, RT will have more apps coupled with a stronger arm processor, and a refined design (not that surface doesn't cause its immaculately well built), it will be much better product and a more compelling reason for RT.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
All things change when Windows RT ARMv7 move to next generation Windows RT64 ARMv8 Q4 2014.

ARMv8 software can't run on ARMv7 hardware.

I think ARM is going piss alot of people off in 2015 with the move from 32-bit to 64-bit.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I think we will.

I think the future of Windows RT and Surface RT is going to be in filling the low-end segment with 7-8'ish inch tablets, no desktop and priced at $349.99.

With the next-generation Bay Trail Atom processors Microsoft can put out a strong mid-range Surface starting at $649.99. Basically a good general purpose mobile computing device that people know is a full computer/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3