Thinkpad 8 may not charge while docked via USB.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
So I've been looking at this tablet like crazy. And came across this video(video below) by Tech Hive. I believe it is in German. But all I really know is it isn't English. Anyway to the point. While watching the video I realized the Thinkpad 8 doesn't appear to be charging while it is docked via USB 3.0. I attached a screenshot circling where it shows that it isn't charging. Also circled that it is using Lenovo's official USB 3.0 dock. I would think it would be possible to charge a device and still transfer video at the same time using USB 3.0. But I don't really know the technical limitations of it. Luckily this doesn't stop me from buying this device since I will only need one monitor and will just use the micro HDMI port. Still a bummer though would of been nice to charge and have two monitors. This is only something I have noticed and it provides good evidence that it isn't possible to charge and be docked. But maybe they will come out with a dock that could do both? Anyway thought I would leave this here for others who might of been interested in the device and possibly getting a dock for it as well.

Attachments

• Thinkpad8Docked.png
    Thinkpad8Docked.png
    440.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Patric.Z

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have came across the same video and noticed the same thing a while ago. Looks like Lenovo doesn't provide solution for charging and using USB at the same time, this is disappointing. However, I believe the folks over tablereview forum had found solutions to charge dell venue 8 pro and use its USB port at the same time. You could either mod your USB hub or buy certain cables to make it work. I would assume this work with thinkpad 8 too. There's also modified usb hub for sale in Chinese taobao.com and a Japanese website. I bought the tablet the day it went on sale, but still have to wait until march for delivery. :(

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I was afraid that was the same forum I was looking at. I rather not have a jiggy rigged cord of any kind plugged into a new tablet I will be getting. I won't take the risk personally. But this is good info for other who might be willing to risk it.

The other two cables look okay. But do those have to be modified as well? I probably wouldn't get them anyways since it is from foreign websites I know nothing about.

Patric.Z

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The one on the Chinese website is modified and the seller actually tested it on all the 8" windows tablet on the market right now. All worked. I think he sold a bunch of those. The one on the Japanese website, I am not so sure, but looks like it should work out of box.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Alright after looking at the video again and some others. It appears that the connector Lenovo was using is a micro USB 2.0 not a micro USB 3.0. On another video the guy said a micro USB 2.0 or micro USB 3.0 can be used. The micro USB 2.0 is not as wide as the micro USB 3.0. So maybe if they used a micro USB 3.0 adapter it could charge at the same time as being docked since it can take advantage of USB 3.0?! I'm hoping anyway!

Dance Mat

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720