Any news on a verizon wp 7.5?

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I never said the two were compatible. What I said is they are no longer the only provider with an lte network in the US which is still the case. People are going to look and see at&t lte phones being cheaper and ask why is this cheaper when they are the same type of networks and both will be just as fast. Plus you are wrong the iphone uses less data than android, been proven various times and on various sites. Android Smartphones Consume More Data. Here?s Why. — Tech News and Analysis

You are correct about iPhone usage vs. Android. I know I read a study but it may be out of date and everything I can find agrees with you.

That said, I still don't see AT&T as serious competition for a lot of folks. Some people, like me, can't change from Verizon due to business limitations. Others, like most cities in the US from survey after survey, get better reception from Verizon. I see great WP7 phone after great WP7 phone on AT&T and I have no desire to switch because only Verizon works in the tunnels of the Metro system here in DC and even outside, AT&T's coverage is bad. Indoors, is almost non-existent. So if AT&T gets their LTE network working as well and consistently as they had their GSM network running, I'll still hold on to Verizon. And I say that as a former AT&T GSM guy.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
So is verizon going to get screwed again with wp7 phones?

If VZN is getting screwed on Windows Phone they are doing it too themselves. If a carrier wants windows phones theyt can get windows phone by showing enouh interest in it to commit resources for the product (show MS the Money and show it to the OEM and it will get done then en they have to commit to selling them in order to make back the money they gave MS for licensing and OEM for cranking them out. Unless and until that happens VZN is Dead in the Water and its their fault not anyone elses. I suspect that they are in discussions with Nokia as they had a team at Nokia World.

Last edited:

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
You are correct about iPhone usage vs. Android. I know I read a study but it may be out of date and everything I can find agrees with you.

That said, I still don't see AT&T as serious competition for a lot of folks. Some people, like me, can't change from Verizon due to business limitations. Others, like most cities in the US from survey after survey, get better reception from Verizon. I see great WP7 phone after great WP7 phone on AT&T and I have no desire to switch because only Verizon works in the tunnels of the Metro system here in DC and even outside, AT&T's coverage is bad. Indoors, is almost non-existent. So if AT&T gets their LTE network working as well and consistently as they had their GSM network running, I'll still hold on to Verizon. And I say that as a former AT&T GSM guy.

I have great service here with ATT VZN here is the former Alltel and the service is better than Sprint but I am happy with ATT and have been with them for 14 years or so. I doubt I will switch for any reason to VZN Just my preference and likes.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
It really depends on where you are. Before the iPhone, AT&T had some really bad spots in Chicago. I could pin point them. They made a lot of improvements after they started selling the iPhone here.

In Chicago, the only wireless service in the tunnels of the L was AT&T and T-Mobile.

Like I said, it depends on where you are.

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
It really depends on where you are. Before the iPhone, AT&T had some really bad spots in Chicago. I could pin point them. They made a lot of improvements after they started selling the iPhone here.

In Chicago, the only wireless service in the tunnels of the L was AT&T and T-Mobile.

Like I said, it depends on where you are.

I agree, Chicago was terrible. Im northern burbs and I had to get a landline at my home because my iPhone had absolutely no service. Its been remarkable how much better it's got since 09. That was my first and probably last time I stray from Verizon.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but AT&T is still awful in Chicago. They have weird dead spots right in the middle of what should be coverage areas and good luck keeping signal with them inside buildings.

Verizon has neither of these issues.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
As to WP and Verizon you need to understand that Windows Phone needs Verizon far more than the other way around. Thus it would behoove MS to work with OEMs and do whatever pot sweetening is needed to get a high end Windows Phone on Verizon - and preferably on their LTE which is the #1 hot item in smartphones right now.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Has the HTC Trophy been popular enough at Verizon to open their eyes on new WP7 hardware and software? I've had the Trophy since intro and still when I go into any Verizon store, the Trophy is relegated to the back wall with no ads or posters anywhere in the store. If Verizon has something going with Nokia, I suspect it will be a small investment on their part and another wait and see period.

I am seeing more national MS ads for the system and I'm seeing more reference to IOS having seen it's better days. Maybe, just maybe, 2012 is the jump off point for WP7 and Verizon.:cool:

benzie

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Has the HTC Trophy been popular enough at Verizon to open their eyes on new WP7 hardware and software? I've had the Trophy since intro and still when I go into any Verizon store, the Trophy is relegated to the back wall with no ads or posters anywhere in the store. If Verizon has something going with Nokia, I suspect it will be a small investment on their part and another wait and see period.

I am seeing more national MS ads for the system and I'm seeing more reference to IOS having seen it's better days. Maybe, just maybe, 2012 is the jump off point for WP7 and Verizon.:cool:
I don't like this article concerning any upcoming Verizon phones.

Verizon's big plans for 4G next year | Mobile - CNET News

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't like this article concerning any upcoming Verizon phones.

Verizon's big plans for 4G next year | Mobile - CNET News

I read this the other day, but if I recall correctly, Nokia has already stated that they will be coming to the US in early 2012 with LTE devices. I assume this is to directly deal with Verizon and the US' entire 4G-fanaticism. However, that may mean that Nokia is the only Verizon WP we see for a while.

benzie

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I read this the other day, but if I recall correctly, Nokia has already stated that they will be coming to the US in early 2012 with LTE devices. I assume this is to directly deal with Verizon and the US' entire 4G-fanaticism. However, that may mean that Nokia is the only Verizon WP we see for a while.
Yep, I am actually looking forward to switching to 4G. 3G at my house is mediocre, but my friend with her Thunderbolt gets a great signal here. From what I understand is that 4G really does have much better building penetration.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
LTE & verizon

Aren't the latest rumors for Nokia and LTE is with AT&T since Nokia makes GSM phones and it would make sense to start with what you have.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

I am thinking that the 4g Nokias will be on both VZN and ATT The 900 has long been rumored to have ATT bands and there was a VZN team at Nokia World That would seem to a strong indicator that VZN is coming with a new and probable LTE WP device and ATT as well. I would hope perhaps essentially the same devive it would be nice if it would have LTE radios for both VZN and ATT in the same phone IMHO!

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I've had the Trophy since intro and still when I go into any Verizon store, the Trophy is relegated to the back wall with no ads or posters anywhere in the store.

At my local Verizon store, they don't even have a Trophy on display - it's only available online. Tells me one of two things: either they have completely given up on WP7 or they expect a newer, better device soon. Given this article (Windows Phone Needs LTE To Succeed, Says Verizon - Mobility - Mobile business - Informationweek), I'd say the former. Or they've at least given up until there's an LTE phone available.

It also cracks me up they're dogging on WP7 for not being 4G, yet their biggest seller, the iPhone isn't 4G either. They also still have plenty of non-4G phones, including fairly newly released phones.

Last edited:

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
At my local Verizon store, they don't even have a Trophy on display - it's only available online. Tells me one of two things: either they have completely given up on WP7 or they expect a newer, better device soon. Given this article (Windows Phone Needs LTE To Succeed, Says Verizon - Mobility - Mobile business - Informationweek), I'd say the former. Or they've at least given up until there's an LTE phone available.

It also cracks me up they're dogging on WP7 for not being 4G, yet their biggest seller, the iPhone isn't 4G either. They also still have plenty of non-4G phones, including fairly newly released phones.
I don't put a lot of stock in the fact that there were VZW reps at Nokia World. Nokia World is a trade show by a large handset manufacturer who may have lost their way for a bit but is still a large manufacturer of handsets and certainly is not out of the game. It doesn't hurt to have a rep there to see "what's up", but being there doesn't mean a deal is being made, either.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Their biggest seller is Android by a huge margin, not the iPhone. Go to their stores - their reps don't typically steer people to iPhones but instead to whichever Android they think fits that user. VZW is an Android shop and WP7+ needs to break into that mindset if the platform is to have a viable future.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Their biggest seller is Android by a huge margin, not the iPhone. Go to their stores - their reps don't typically steer people to iPhones but instead to whichever Android they think fits that user. VZW is an Android shop and WP7+ needs to break into that mindset if the platform is to have a viable future.
When I was in there last week the rep told me the iPhone outsells any other single phone. I'm sure that if you combine *all* (or even the top two) Android phones together, then of course it beats the iPhone. But against any other single phone, I would bet the iPhone is the biggest seller.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like Verizon wants an LTE WP phone or none at all. From this article (from a VERY Windows-biased author, no less), it sounds like there won't be much of a WP presence, if any, at Verizon until Tango comes out and LTE is supported. Bummer...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre