New phones enough for Apollo

Budroid

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, just wondering what your thoughts are on the new phones that are out. I understand that dual-core processors are not necessary right now and that the 1.4Ghz and 1.5Ghz processors with 512MB of RAM are more than enough for Mango. But what about Apollo?

I just don't want to be stuck with a phone in a year that "is too slow" to handle the latest WP edition. Makes me think of my iPhone 3G with iOS4.x - just couldn't handle it. I don't want to be stuck in that same boat. I'm hoping that the Focus S does come with 1GB of RAM instead of 512MB...that'd make me feel a lot better.

Any thoughts?

Bballbenb

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I am right there with you. I would be more inclined to get a HTC Trophy, if i knew it would get future updates like apollo. From what I have been told, all will get tango, but no one knows about apollo. I can deal with not having skype, but not having apollo would be terrible :(

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, just wondering what your thoughts are on the new phones that are out. I understand that dual-core processors are not necessary right now and that the 1.4Ghz and 1.5Ghz processors with 512MB of RAM are more than enough for Mango. But what about Apollo?

I just don't want to be stuck with a phone in a year that "is too slow" to handle the latest WP edition. Makes me think of my iPhone 3G with iOS4.x - just couldn't handle it. I don't want to be stuck in that same boat. I'm hoping that the Focus S does come with 1GB of RAM instead of 512MB...that'd make me feel a lot better.

Any thoughts?

I have a 3g on iOS4.2 and I doubt a wp would have the same problem. The 3g was the same phone as the original iphone and it was trying to operate on 4th gen OS. This would be a 1.5 gen phone trying to operate on a 2nd gen OS. Now it will not be as fast as win8 native phones, but you should be okay.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
While Apollo will most likely run on your existing phone, there will be enough about an Apollo based phone to make you salivate over it and find a way to upgrade. Probably higher res screen, possibly dual core (don't know why, but meh), probably more internal memory options. So, don't worry so much and enjoy the moment. Never know what tomorrow will bring, and it's not all good.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
what I'm hearing is the kernal in windows 7 or 7.5 has pritty much reached its limit and can't handle the newer duel core chips, and that apolo is allrealdy running on its 3rd preview testing out of 3 so I think Nokia is right in saying that we might see apolo mid next year with duel core and faster chipsets. they are also going to release windows 8 at the same time frame..

Bballbenb

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I Think everyone phone right now that is WP7 based will be able to recieve Tango and Apollo updates. 2 Reasons and please correct me if I am wrong.

1) Most of all wp7 devices are relatively new. Example the HTC Trophy came out in May so its only 6 months old. I do not see Microsoft screwing over people who were first to buy their product within 2 years. I would assum the trophy would AT LEAST be able to get every update from 2 years when it was released. That would make sense right? If not, then thats not right because most peoples contracts are 2 years long.

2) Comparing a NEW upcoming phone to the Trophy like the HTC Radar, there is not much of a difference at all in specs. They both have the same processor. Yes phones like the Lumnia, Titan, Focus S all have a 1.4 or 1.5, but still why would they release the HTC Radar if in the next year its not going to recieve updates? Revert back to point 1.

I definately might be wrong, but I hope not. This isnt Android. Microsoft wants everyone to get updates through Zune. Honestly though any speculation about Apollo is just rumors right now unless your on the inside. There will be another update before that even (tango). I would DEFINATELY say all phones are at least good for another year, maybe 2. time will tell...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa