Waiting for new phones on vzw

mozzarella72

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I was debating whether or not to get the trophy on contract for verizon. I have a palm pre plus that's on the outs. However I just bought a pixi plus on amazon for 30 bucks off contract as a backup phone. Guess I'll be waiting for new wp7 phones. Think we'll hear something by CES?

Bballbenb

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Soon? No

Early Next year and at CES? Definately.

New phone are coming to VZW in the coming months. The HTC Trophy is a great phone though, the reviews I have seen are all great and it runs so smoothly.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Mozz,

My Trophy runs sooo much better than my Pre+. On my Pre, the keyboard is terrible, the gps sucks and I have the USB crack, just to name a few.

I just bought my Trophy on contract in July/Aug. I have no regrets. IMO, there may not be any phones for Vzw any time soon, if at all. I can see the Trophy lasting well past my contract expiration date.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Since VZN had a team at Nokia World they may be a strong contender to get a Nokia and hopefully ATT and TMo as well.

happynoodleboy

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Just look on eBay and you might be able to find a used Trophy for around the same price as on contract. I also came from a pre plus and don't have any regrets in switching. I bought a Trophy of eBay for a little more than the contract price and and still have my upgrade available for when the new phones come.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

Smigge05

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I also have a pre plus and am looking into WP7. I have my upgrade coming in January and am hoping they release something other than the Trophy by then.

benzie

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Trophy on eBay for a little more than contract price and haven't regretted it one bit. Love this phone. I was saving my upgrade for the new wp's, but now I am not so sure that I even want to upgrade. That's how good this phone is.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to buy a couple focus or surrounds off Craigslist (cheaper than trophy's in my area) and hold out on att till we see what Nokia and or Verizon due early next year. I'm hoping the Nokia mention of cdma and lte comes true. We all know Verizon said they want a three horse race. Well, now palm is dead and rim is dying, so they need to support WP of they really want three contenders. They need to do for this platform what they did for droid.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Mozz,

My Trophy runs sooo much better than my Pre+. On my Pre, the keyboard is terrible, the gps sucks and I have the USB crack, just to name a few.

I just bought my Trophy on contract in July/Aug. I have no regrets. IMO, there may not be any phones for Vzw any time soon, if at all. I can see the Trophy lasting well past my contract expiration date.

It's a lot better than the Pre 2 as well.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
IMO, it sure looks like Microsoft is sure missing the boat with regard to rolling out new WP devices, particularly on non-AT&T carriers. Some of the WP fans are talking up how WP will become the third major player in the smartphone market in the near future, but regardless of how attractive or user-friendly the operating system is, the platform needs to get a critical mass of subscribers to make that happen. With nearly half of all smartphones sold in CY Q4 each year in advance of the holiday season, it sure looks like Microsoft (and their manufacturer partners) are blowing their opportunity to increase consumer awareness, much less consumer market share, in Q4 2011.

I'm personally a little frustrated with the lack of WP options on Verizon. I've been considering getting a non-Android smartphone to complement my Motorola Droid 2 (and to have a new phone be available on contract about once a year - I bought the Droid 2 on 12/10/10), and my preference is for a Windows Phone device over a Blackberry (Bold 9930) or iPhone (4/4s). I like what I've seen and experienced when I've tested out the HTC Trophy, in addition to liking the WP7 interface, but I'd rather not be stuck with a device that originally came out a year ago that isn't 4G. (Oh how I'd love to see a non-Android 4G LTE device on Verizon, not to mention a physical keyboard WP on Verizon!) I'm not optimistic that Verizon will have any new WP devices before Christmas, and unless Verizon offers up a deal for a free or very cheap Trophy with 2-year contract (call me anal but I'd prefer to buy through the carrier), I may have to pass on having a WP if I get a second smartphone before Christmas. (I'll note that if I buy the Trophy I may still buy a WP at full price part way through the contract to upgrade, especially if such phone is 4G LTE and has a physical keyboard.)

NOTE: My comments above may be taken that I don't like the Droid 2 or the Android OS. That definitely isn't true - though the Android system has its issues at times I really like the Droid 2. I'm just looking to get another smartphone so I can use another operating system and be able to compare it to Android OS.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
VZW used to have a pretty negative mindset about WP. I don't think they are expanding the WP selection anytime soon. Neither do they care about WP, which is quite sad for some of us. I am still stuck with ATT because VZW only has 1 WP - Trophy, and since VZW is CDMA, I cannot just buy an unlocked phone from anywhere and use it on VZW, e.g. Lumia 800. I hope Win8 + Apollo is coming strong and **** the **** outta VZW.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
VZW used to have a pretty negative mindset about WP. I don't think they are expanding the WP selection anytime soon. Neither do they care about WP, which is quite sad for some of us. I am still stuck with ATT because VZW only has 1 WP - Trophy, and since VZW is CDMA, I cannot just buy an unlocked phone from anywhere and use it on VZW, e.g. Lumia 800. I hope Win8 + Apollo is coming strong and **** the **** outta VZW.

I think that's changing now, though. I'm betting that when Nokia announces their "portfolio" of phones for the US, it will include a VERY high end VZW exclusive WP model. While I don't have any inside information, I just keep seeing mentions of VZW and Nokia together. From the VZW reps being at Nokia World to Elop stating they would have a portfolio including CDMA and LTE phones. As I say, it may just be wishful thinking but I think they're going to make a splash when Nokia hits the US.

johaas

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I think that's changing now, though. I'm betting that when Nokia announces their "portfolio" of phones for the US, it will include a VERY high end VZW exclusive WP model. While I don't have any inside information, I just keep seeing mentions of VZW and Nokia together. From the VZW reps being at Nokia World to Elop stating they would have a portfolio including CDMA and LTE phones. As I say, it may just be wishful thinking but I think they're going to make a splash when Nokia hits the US.

That would be awesome! It would sure be demoralizing to wait for a new Windows Phone to come to Verizon only for it to be insignificantly better than the Trophy.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If you must have VZW you best stick with Android or iPutz...

VZW sucks.. arrogant.. and dammit you need what they are selling..

BYE VZW .. I wont miss you... Soon as I can find a Focus S at a resonable price off contract.. I'm gone... what good is an upgrade .. if they have no WP7 phones to pick from..

I have a trophy.. and for all the love show it in this thread.. its mediocre at best.. Lousy camera, lame screen etc..

Try out a samsung focus... you'll get the gist :)

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
If you must have VZW you best stick with Android or iPutz...

VZW sucks.. arrogant.. and dammit you need what they are selling..

BYE VZW .. I wont miss you... Soon as I can find a Focus S at a resonable price off contract.. I'm gone... what good is an upgrade .. if they have no WP7 phones to pick from..

I have a trophy.. and for all the love show it in this thread.. its mediocre at best.. Lousy camera, lame screen etc..

Try out a samsung focus... you'll get the gist :)

I've been a VZW customer for 10 years, I've had nothing but nice things to say about them, anytime I've had any problems, they've always corrected them swiftly and usually with many free extra minutes.

I can see though how'd you eyeball ATT, they seem to be getting everything great that isnt Android. I like all 3 OS's (Android,iOS,WP) Right now though, WP definitely has me entertained the most! Im due for an upgrade now, but Im in no rush to move just yet, Im waiting for LTE WP, hopefully we'll know more at CES.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I think everyone on Verizon who wants a Windows Phone just needs patience. Not only did Verizon have a very good showing at Nokia World, but Nokia's CEO specifically single out CDMA tech as a future WP market for them. Not only that, but the Verizon CEO spoke extremely highly of WP just before Nokia World as a strong contender to dethrone RIM as a #3 ecosystem. You just do not do that if you are not interested. Besides, does Verizon really want to just allow AT&T to run away with an untapped consumer Market like WP just in case it takes off? Not a chance.

However, with the Bionic only a couple months old, the RAZR, Rezound (what a stupid name for an otherwise promising phone), and the Galaxy Nexus S all competing with the iPhone 4S on Verizon for Holiday shopping dollars, the crowd was very high end on Big Red. At some point, you just have to not cut your own throat and there are just TOO MANY choices for all these devices to be hits AND support a new Windows Phone. One released in Feb or March makes sense. The only huge rumor I hear for Android in that time frame will be the Droid 4 with LTE. Not only that, but late Winter to early Spring will be about the same time frame as when the Trophy was released this past year, so again it sounds right.

Of course, with no real rumors or juicy gossip, I am just talking out the tush. But I do believe we will see Verizon on board and really trying to support WP prior to Summer. Anyone want to put a soda on it?

msft_tinkering

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
As pedestrian as the Trophy is compared to all the other WP7 devices in the US, once you've got it linked to your Live ID and services it is anything but. It's the perfect size for one hand, I've NEVER had it lag on me and it's just a solid device.

I'd like more choices, but to be honest I really like my Trophy.

What ever they choose to enhance the WP7 line at VZW, I would request the following.
1. keep the ability to swap batteries
2. make the microSDHC accessable
3. a better camera
4. all the other mango "features" like gyro, etc.

If I wanted a sealed device that I could do nothing with after I open the box, I would have bought an iPhone a long time ago. (okay I wouldn't have, but I really don't want an in-accessible device.)

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
What ever they choose to enhance the WP7 line at VZW, I would request the following.
1. keep the ability to swap batteries
2. make the microSDHC accessable
3. a better camera
4. all the other mango "features" like gyro, etc.

If I wanted a sealed device that I could do nothing with after I open the box, I would have bought an iPhone a long time ago. (okay I wouldn't have, but I really don't want an in-accessible device.)

I agree completely. It won't happen that way, but I completely agree with your wishlist.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05