The Lumia or Wait Debate

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Anyone with a 1st gen windows phone and an upgrade available or approaching in next 2 months have a big choice to make (specifically on AT&T, I feel bad for lack of other carrier support, but that's for another post).

I'm sure I am not the only person who is debating between getting the Lumia 900 at launch and waiting for apollo devices, after all the wait from march till the fall is not that long and it is beneficial to get a 2 yr contract with a fresh device.

I am leaning towards getting the Lumia 900 from launch, it is such a amazing design, and I am totally on board with the lower specs, optimized performance, and longer battery.

What are your thoughts?

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm grabbing the Lumia 900. Are better phones going to come out later this year? Definitely. But the 900 is plenty good enough for what I do. If you are a big gamer, may want to wait for Apollo and Dual Core phones. And I don't mean angry birds which runs fine on 3gen old hardware like mine.

I was hoping for 32GB of storage, but I should be fine. I have the zunepass so don't have to load it with tons of music all the time. Can just slap a 'camping' playlist on it before head to the mountains if need be. Other than that its an excellent device. It brought most of what people complained about from the 800:

LTE
Larger screen (and no pentile)
FFC
Highly optimized f2.2 Rear Camera
Much larger capacity battery

Even my current device (focus, 1st gen) is plenty fast, and never lets me down. Going from that to a solid unibody nokia with excellent optics, ffc, lte, 4.3" CB display and the next gen CPU chips will be plenty for me for awhile. I will use the 900 until I see something good enough to warrant me getting a new one. That could be this time next year, or even summer/fall of 2013.

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm grabbing the Lumia 900. Are better phones going to come out later this year? Definitely. But the 900 is plenty good enough for what I do. If you are a big gamer, may want to wait for Apollo and Dual Core phones. And I don't mean angry birds which runs fine on 3gen old hardware like mine.

I was hoping for 32GB of storage, but I should be fine. I have the zunepass so don't have to load it with tons of music all the time. Can just slap a 'camping' playlist on it before head to the mountains if need be. Other than that its an excellent device. It brought most of what people complained about from the 800:

LTE
Larger screen (and no pentile)
FFC
Highly optimized f2.2 Rear Camera
Much larger capacity battery

Even my current device (focus, 1st gen) is plenty fast, and never lets me down. Going from that to a solid unibody nokia with excellent optics, ffc, lte, 4.3" CB display and the next gen CPU chips will be plenty for me for awhile. I will use the 900 until I see something good enough to warrant me getting a new one. That could be this time next year, or even summer/fall of 2013.
I couldn't agree more with your thought process, pretty much right in line with what I am thinking. I do not need a dual core processor, I just want apps to open faster and the 1.4ghz handles that with flying colors. I really want LTE and bigger battery and a better camera and these are all present on the mango devices.

I am most definitely getting a new phone by march (supposed to be release month). My biggest debate is between titan or lumia then though, 16mp camera sounds awesome with a dedicated processor for doing hd, but from what I read that isn't everythign and the carl zeis on the lumia could be just as good. I dont think there is beating that build quality either, HTC does a great job but people will be wowed when you whip out the lumia 900.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
im probly gona keep waiting

im still on a first GEn Samsung FOCUS and i have ZERO problems . all my games run smoth no problem. ( im a big gamer )

and unless they come out with a new phone with MIND BLOWING SPECS! or my phone cant update to new OS..... then ill switch.

and by mind blowing.... i mean AMOLED HD screen LOL ... processors doesn't really effect games that much .. it be nice to get more RAM doh. that would make game run smother then duel-core.

duel-core is only good for multy tasking ( witch WP doesn't do( for does that are confused *quick resume* and *multy tasking* int the same thing) ), and for "multi-threaded" applications, ( witch WP also doesn't do yet and honestly is sorta useless)

if you want a smother game you need RAM . not duel-core. (btw)

but w/e ill be waiting i think till the end of this year for Apollo phones. ( at lease )

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't agree more with your thought process, pretty much right in line with what I am thinking. I do not need a dual core processor, I just want apps to open faster and the 1.4ghz handles that with flying colors. I really want LTE and bigger battery and a better camera and these are all present on the mango devices.

I am most definitely getting a new phone by march (supposed to be release month). My biggest debate is between titan or lumia then though, 16mp camera sounds awesome with a dedicated processor for doing hd, but from what I read that isn't everythign and the carl zeis on the lumia could be just as good. I dont think there is beating that build quality either, HTC does a great job but people will be wowed when you whip out the lumia 900.

The Titan II is definitely a nice phone. For me, 4.7" is way to big. 4.3" is my limit for usability/nice screen real estate balance. The 16MP camera is ok, but I'm hearing its being compressed into 8MP file sizes, and from what I hear the CZ Lens on the 900 is quite amazing. They did a lot of work to the imaging hardware for optimization, and are using an f2.2 sensor which means super fast and great in low light. The 4S camera is an f2.4 which is still amazing, but the lower the number F stop the more light it lets in. Better in low light, less need for flash/washing out photos.

Not that either phone wouldn't be excellent. If they were both 4.3" would be harder for me, but would still give edge to lumia just based on these things:

- the unibody design they used on the n9/800/900 is simply beautiful. Best looking phone I've ever seen.
- I think the camera is 'slightly' better
- The nokia apps. Nokia drive, maps, the coming Lens app and others, and the EA games ect.
- Their non pentile Clear Black display is going to be better in outdoor / sunlight.
- I am almost going to bank on the fact that it has a superior quality radio/reception.

im probly gona keep waiting

im still on a first GEn Samsung FOCUS and i have ZERO problems . all my games run smoth no problem. ( im a big gamer )

and unless they come out with a new phone with MIND BLOWING SPECS! or my phone cant update to new OS..... then ill switch.

and by mind blowing.... i mean AMOLED HD screen LOL ... processors doesn't really effect games that much .. it be nice to get more RAM doh. that would make game run smother then duel-core.

duel-core is only good for multy tasking ( witch WP doesn't do( for does that are confused *quick resume* and *multy tasking* int the same thing) ), and for "multi-threaded" applications, ( witch WP also doesn't do yet and honestly is sorta useless)

if you want a smother game you need RAM . not duel-core. (btw)

but w/e ill be waiting i think till the end of this year for Apollo phones. ( at lease )

Well the argument for dual core for games is this: If you are going to hold the phone for 2-3 years, many future games will be CODED for dual core optimizaion (more hardcore games, not the ones most play). So it will be something you will want in coming years if you are somebody who is really into mobile gaming. I will get a new phone after a year or two at most, and don't game that much. More of time wasting small games before movies ect.

Its also something you want for 1080p encoding, not that I'd want to store those massive files on my phone personally lol.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Well the argument for dual core for games is this: If you are going to hold the phone for 2-3 years, many future games will be CODED for dual core optimizaion (more hardcore games, not the ones most play). So it will be something you will want in coming years if you are somebody who is really into mobile gaming. I will get a new phone after a year or two at most, and don't game that much. More of time wasting small games before movies ect.

Its also something you want for 1080p encoding, not that I'd want to store those massive files on my phone personally lol.

yeah i understand that for duel-core ... but i mean even when we are gona get the NEW duel-core phones ( if ever ) its till gona take an other 6months(if not mero ) for any duel-core support game/app to even come out... so im in NO rush . hehehe

even if we get duel-core this summer.... its gona be useless till probably early 2013.. (depending when we get them ) just look how long it took to see mango quick resume updates on apps/games . LOL we are still waiting!!!! hhehe

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
yeah i understand that for duel-core ... but i mean even when we are gona get the NEW duel-core phones ( if ever ) its till gona take an other 6months(if not mero ) for any duel-core support game/app to even come out... so im in NO rush . hehehe

even if we get duel-core this summer.... its gona be useless till probably early 2013.. (depending when we get them ) just look how long it took to see mango quick resume updates on apps/games . LOL we are still waiting!!!! hhehe

Yep. Just saying that there is a reason to wait for dual core if going to have a phone on contract for a few years.

For me? Don't care about dual core for now. The 900 brought what I want, so I'm bringing out my wallet. TAKE MY MONEY NOKIA!!! ;)

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
What is this waiting you speak of? I'll be getting the 900 ASAP! My only decision is black or cyan... leaning towards cyan though.

I am on a 2nd gen device with the Focus S.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
What is this waiting you speak of? I'll be getting the 900 ASAP! My only decision is black or cyan... leaning towards cyan though.

I am on a 2nd gen device with the Focus S.

yeah i just dont have the cash to switch that often . lol ( still on GEN 1 :p ) ill probly just end up waiting for upgrade later this year ;)

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Will definitely be getting the 900. Picked up my Surround off contract (did get a loyalty discount), cause I had to have a WP. Exchanged a few texts with my AT&T guy today and I am due for early upgrade on 4/1, but trying to squeeze for the 13 days. Still perfectly content with my Surround, so the 900 will be icing. No rush for a WP8 phone. Now a W8Tablet. Different story.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I def think I am leaning towards a 900 from launch, my upgrade comes in February (perfect timing, it's like destiny). I just wish there were more colors available, am I the only one who deep down wants black, but feels like a sell out on the amazing design of the lumia.

I think the Cyan is awesome, but I kinda wish there was few more colors like Navy, or royal blue, gold, silver, white, ... I guess I am just afraid of growing tired of the color, which never happens with black. Bottom line is I will have to see them and just go with my gut.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I just wish I had this dilemma to deal with...

Unfortunately I still have the better part of another year to go on my T-Mo contract before I'll be eligible for an upgrade so, unless a really amazing phone comes out before then (900 would probably get my vote if I WAS coming up on end of contract but, it's not quite enough to make me pay the early termination penalties) I think I'll just sit back and feel jealous of those of you who are currently facing this choice.

ALborntoride

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm going all in with the 900 when it comes out. I'm not too big of a gamer (just a few quick games to burn time now and then), but just use my phone for everyday tasks (FB, Twitter, internet surf...oh yea and call :) But the real reason i want a Nokia is the quality. I remember the 3310 back in the day and it was one of the best phones that i ever had (granted text messaging and uploading pics to FB or Twitter hadn't even been invented..but everybody was trying to have the highest score on Snake LOL). But the phone had great calling service and i never had issues with dropped calls, bad reception, or battery drain. I hope that Nokia still has it with the 900.

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Very surprised by the lack of Titan II support on the forums here, Nokia build quality is supreme, but HTC must be a close second. The first titan looks great and the second only looks better with the curved glass at the bottom. I am assuming it comes down to screen size more than anything. If you haven't held a titan yet, I highly recommend doing so, it feels fantastic in the hand, but probably less so than the Lumia chasis. Also I keep hearing pretty amazing things about the 16 MP camera with a dedicated processor, which I did not expect.

Anyone else suprised by lack of Titan II hype? Nokia has a great reputation, it's exciting to see them follow through (my first phone ever was a nokia, fun fact).

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Very surprised by the lack of Titan II support on the forums here, Nokia build quality is supreme, but HTC must be a close second. The first titan looks great and the second only looks better with the curved glass at the bottom. I am assuming it comes down to screen size more than anything. If you haven't held a titan yet, I highly recommend doing so, it feels fantastic in the hand, but probably less so than the Lumia chasis. Also I keep hearing pretty amazing things about the 16 MP camera with a dedicated processor, which I did not expect.

Anyone else suprised by lack of Titan II hype? Nokia has a great reputation, it's exciting to see them follow through (my first phone ever was a nokia, fun fact).

To me, there seems to be a lot if issues with the U.S. Titan. The European Titan seems to not have issues. I've read a few articles about HTC having financial problems, so I have put HTC on hold for now. I am looking towards Nokia and Sambung now. I am sure I get one the Nokia WP7 phones to replace my Nokia N8.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm not getting either, I've got an excellent quality HTC TITAN 1 that will be lasting me another 22-23 months yet (even though bought off contract, this is the first phone that I believe will TRULY last me 24-month)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte