Drop it like it's hot

Panasonic's Toughbook CF-33 is a ridiculously rugged 2-in-1

Saving money on data

Mint SIM is the perfect way to get cheap data in the U.S.

Can you handle the truth?

What Apple's latest iPad ads say about Microsoft and Windows

Forecast is cloudy

Windows 10 Cloud will run Win32 apps, but only from the Windows Store

Excessive in a good way

GTX 1050 in a 15-inch convertible? Lenovo went there

Windows goes galactic

Revealed: Samsung's Surface Pro-like Galaxy Book, running Windows 10

We made some changes

Our new forums are here!

Don't count Windows Phone out just yet

Dead? Psh. Here are 5 reasons to stick with Windows 10 Mobile

VPN vs. Proxy

The difference between a proxy and a VPN

Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Winterfang
  1. Siah1214's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    388 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Nokia pretty much confirms US PureView reveal for Monday - Neowin

    So what is Microsoft's big announcement? Seems like they are competing for the day....
  2. vp710's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    438 Posts
    Global Posts
    457 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Well it seems Nokia's event will be about the 808 which is device afaik, not Pureview itself but who knows?

    Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express
  3. freestaterocker's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,675 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,679 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    I would consider buying it... Swap out the lock/shutter button with the 710s physical rocker for the requisite Back, Start & Search, swap out the SoC and screen to bring it up to Apollo standards, and shut up and take my money!
  4. sinime's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,215 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,651 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    What time on Monday is this stuff happening?
  5. Siah1214's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    388 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by freestaterocker View Post
    I would consider buying it... Swap out the lock/shutter button with the 710s physical rocker for the requisite Back, Start & Search, swap out the SoC and screen to bring it up to Apollo standards, and shut up and take my money!
    If this is the Nokia Pureview WP (which I doubt, it maintains the 808 moniker) then I'm going to be camped outside of whatever store is selling it 2 weeks in advance...
  6. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    It makes zero sense for Nokia to unveil the Pureview Windows Phone on Monday.
  7. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,895 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,896 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Would have bought this if I didn't already have the 900.
  8. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,589 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,915 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by irlju View Post
    It makes zero sense for Nokia to unveil the Pureview Windows Phone on Monday.
    There are also rumors that the Symbian^3 Nokia 808 will be sold in the states. I guess we just have to wait and see.
  9. Winterfang's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,541 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    There are also rumors that the Symbian^3 Nokia 808 will be sold in the states. I guess we just have to wait and see.
    This is the most logical answer.
    ALborntoride likes this.
  10. gwydionjhr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    242 Posts
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    What time on Monday is this stuff happening?
    3pm PST on Monday
  11. gwydionjhr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    242 Posts
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by irlju View Post
    It makes zero sense for Nokia to unveil the Pureview Windows Phone on Monday.
    WooHoo! Devil's Ad-vo-tech!

    Why?!

    I think it makes zero sense for Nokia to roll out the 808 on Symbian in the States. It would do very little to help the WP platform, and that, it is becoming abuntantly clear, is Nokia's sink or swim lifeline.

    I think it makes zero sense for Nokia to hype a press event like this, for a phone that is well known, tested, and already in the wild. Rollouts to new markets of the Symbian 808 have been little more than press releases. Hyping a US rollout like this is just as likely to **** off the media as it is to gain favourable press.

    I posted a picture from SXSW of an 808 running Window Phone, taken in March, but not posted to twitter until last Friday, just hours before all the hype started to hit the net. Coincidence?

    I'll do ya one better.

    The COMPLETE lack of speculation about this possibility. Silence is deafening.

    I figure there are two reasons for the silence.

    A) I'm a pie in the sky dreamer high on crack (not necessarly beyond the realm of possibilities)

    B) Rubino, Joire, Zeigler, etc, etc already have WP808's and they're under NDA's. They can comment on the breadcrumbs Nokia puts out, like the map of Hawaii, or the Roland sound board, but nothing else. The combination of the NDAs and the breadcrumbs keep a lid on things and at the same time, build interest and hype.

    Now will somebody pass the pie, all this crack has made me hungry.
  12. gwydionjhr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    242 Posts
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gwydionjhr View Post
    WooHoo! Devil's Ad-vo-tech!

    Why?!

    I think it makes zero sense for Nokia to roll out the 808 on Symbian in the States. It would do very little to help the WP platform, and that, it is becoming abuntantly clear, is Nokia's sink or swim lifeline.

    I think it makes zero sense for Nokia to hype a press event like this, for a phone that is well known, tested, and already in the wild. Rollouts to new markets of the Symbian 808 have been little more than press releases. Hyping a US rollout like this is just as likely to **** off the media as it is to gain favourable press.

    I posted a picture from SXSW of an 808 running Window Phone, taken in March, but not posted to twitter until last Friday, just hours before all the hype started to hit the net. Coincidence?

    I'll do ya one better.

    The COMPLETE lack of speculation about this possibility. Silence is deafening.

    I figure there are two reasons for the silence.

    A) I'm a pie in the sky dreamer high on crack (not necessarly beyond the realm of possibilities)

    B) Rubino, Joire, Zeigler, etc, etc already have WP808's and they're under NDA's. They can comment on the breadcrumbs Nokia puts out, like the map of Hawaii, or the Roland sound board, but nothing else. The combination of the NDAs and the breadcrumbs keep a lid on things and at the same time, build interest and hype.

    Now will somebody pass the pie, all this crack has made me hungry.
    And one other thing.

    Rolling out the 808 on Symbian TWO DAYS before the BIG Windows Phone Developer Event seems counter-intuitive to me.

    Rolling out the 808 on Windows Phone only ramps up the excitement of the developers going into the conference.
  13. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    There are also rumors that the Symbian^3 Nokia 808 will be sold in the states. I guess we just have to wait and see.
    99% sure that Chris Webber confirmed that the 808 will be sold in the US. Totally besides the point, unveiling the Pureview WP months before the operating system is going to ship will be a disaster. Nokia has previously told us that it wants to avoid large gaps been announcement and availability.


    Quote Originally Posted by gwydionjhr View Post
    Rubino, Joire, Zeigler, etc, etc already have WP808's and they're under NDA's. They can comment on the breadcrumbs Nokia puts out, like the map of Hawaii, or the Roland sound board, but nothing else. The combination of the NDAs and the breadcrumbs keep a lid on things and at the same time, build interest and hype.
    It doesn't matter whether people have the devices or not, unveiling the Pureview WP now will simply kill its chances. No one's going to care by the time it ships in four months. The 808 is a completely different story, it's Nokia saying they still own the smartphone camera space and this phone is a precursor to what you can expect in future. There's no positive message that gets sent out by unveiling a device months in advance.
  14. gwydionjhr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    242 Posts
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    I didn't say it was going to be running WP8....
  15. ejb222's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    377 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Its the Nokia Pureview 808 WP7 to be release in US. I have no sources, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
  16. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,057 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    If they unveil a pureview WP this soon after the 900 I am going to be seriously upset. I would way rather have a pureview than my 900.

Posting Permissions

";