Reasons to get the Samsung Ativ S over Nokia Lumia 920?

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
In favor of the Ativ S:

Removable battery.
Lighter weight.
Bigger screen.
Better camera (if the Ativ's is the Galaxy S3's and the 920's is the 900's).
SD card slot confirmed on the Ativ S; an open question on the 920.

In favor of the Lumia 920:

Better customer support.
Nokia's apps.
Exclusive third-party apps.
Aesthetics (subjective).
Cameria (if it ends up being more like the 808 Pureview than the Lumia 900).
More solid construction.

Both are good options; neither is better for everyone.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Design preference. It's entirely possible that you (or anyone else) may simply prefer the ATIV form factor or the Lumia form factor better.

I'm up in the air. I really like the current Lumia 900 style, so I'm hoping that the 920 is just a simple evolution of that design. Also, even though some will criticize it as a "leftover" or "recycled" design, I like the ATIV style too.

In fact, I argue that recycling the designs is a good thing from an R&D perspective, because it creates a sense of familiarity for less techy users, and helps them embrace technology more easily. It's also a financially intelligent idea, since you can mass produce models faster and easier and push them to market. Just imagine if car makers released a dozen or more variations of each car model every year, which would be akin to what tech companies do now.

Anyway, at the end of next week, I will have my decision on which phone I will buy upon release... for now, I remain undecided. Honestly, I think it will come down to preference of style more than anything else. The overall tech is nearly identical, and screen size is part of that style (since resolution is already supposed to be 720p on both).

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
A lot of the high-end WP8 phones will be close in specs and functionality.

It may end up coming down to which one you think fits your personal style more.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
those would be my top two choices at this time either would be a great device. Assuming that W8P does have standardized charging port on the bottom they are close to neck and neck with a slight edge to Nokia as the 900 is my current device and I do like the shape and heft of the 900 although a thinner lighter device would be nice as well.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Whatever device Verizon gets that has the biggest screen will be mine. I love HTC, Samsung, and Nokia for design. All of them make great phones. But reception is important where I live, so Nokia would be preferable. HTC would be okay. Samsung is a no go. I will be getting the Razr HD (because of it's mostly stock version of ICS) unless VZW gets a high end WP8 device.

I love WP7 (and obviously WP8) but I also love stock Ice Cream Sandwich/Jelly Bean Android. I will stick with WP if there's a high end model. My contracts are only 10 months anyway so it's not like I'll be screwed if VZW releases a high end device in 2013.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Whatever device Verizon gets that has the biggest screen will be mine. I love HTC, Samsung, and Nokia for design. All of them make great phones. But reception is important where I live, so Nokia would be preferable. HTC would be okay. Samsung is a no go. I will be getting the Razr HD (because of it's mostly stock version of ICS) unless VZW gets a high end WP8 device.

I love WP7 (and obviously WP8) but I also love stock Ice Cream Sandwich/Jelly Bean Android. I will stick with WP if there's a high end model. My contracts are only 10 months anyway so it's not like I'll be screwed if VZW releases a high end device in 2013.

As someone who hasn't followed Samsung phones in the past...do they have reception issues? This could seriously influence my choice between Samsung and Nokia (I'm pretty lukewarm on HTC after my 7 Pro).

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
As someone who hasn't followed Samsung phones in the past...do they have reception issues? This could seriously influence my choice between Samsung and Nokia (I'm pretty lukewarm on HTC after my 7 Pro).
Samsung itself as a general rule has no reception problems. I am sure out of the thousands of devices that Sammy sells in a year some most certainly have had reception problems. But as a quick count in my head, I have had personal experience with at least 10 different Samsung devices between my family and close friends in the past couple years, and on both AT&T and Verizon reception hasn't been an issue.

I think the aluminum construction on the ATIV has some users concerned. There have been a few postings from people that say that type of alloy makes antenna performance a little iffy.

I intend to give Samsung first dibs on my purchase. Nokia is going to get a serious chance to overtake them. But based on my experience with the Focus S, Samsung just makes devices that work seamless. Nokia is going to have to offer me a great experienceand the perfect device, or Sammy will have to truly disappoint. I either will have to wait until November 2013 for a WP 8 (not likely) or I am buying out of pocket. Seeings how I am still enjoying my current handset, no rush here. I can afford to wait for the right device.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

Just depends where you are. I live in a rural area and Samsungs do awful. Every model. S3, Nexus, Charge, all of them get terrible reception compared to Motorola/HTC/etc

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Tough question, being on T-MO it will be the 820 with a 4.3 screen but again 8gb internal. that closes the deal for me. maybe to replace the few 710 the family has but not for me. I really like Nokia but not enough to head on over to AT&T And not enough to make me go to a middle range rather than a high end when that Sammy is going to be on T-MO. my T-MO plan is family unlimited and it's just great.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Just depends where you are. I live in a rural area and Samsungs do awful. Every model. S3, Nexus, Charge, all of them get terrible reception compared to Motorola/HTC/etc

The android forums I frequent pretty much agree with what you are saying. In a decent area Samsung is fine, but Motorola and HTC devices generally do better with reception and switching from 3G to 4G and vice versa.

As far as picking Nokia or Samsung for WP8, I want to see the features each manufacturer will bring to their phones. I personally think we will all be pleased with both manufacturers.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Tough question, being on T-MO it will be the 820 with a 4.3 screen but again 8gb internal. that closes the deal for me. maybe to replace the few 710 the family has but not for me. I really like Nokia but not enough to head on over to AT&T And not enough to make me go to a middle range rather than a high end when that Sammy is going to be on T-MO. my T-MO plan is family unlimited and it's just great.

Dude. Expandable storage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills