Anybody disappointed that the Lumia 920 doesn't have a 4.8" screen?

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
4.7-4.8" seems to be the norm for flagship phones these days and the Lumia 920 has a 4.5" screen. Anybody think Nokia will come out with a bigger screen later? Possibly with 1280 X 768 resolution?

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Never had a phone that large yet. How well does a 4.8" LCD phone work in pant pockets?

Works okay so long as the phone is totally minimal except for the screen (Galaxy S3 and Ativ S). If you have a more substantial case and bezel, like the Lumia 920, a 4.8" screen would lead to a cumbersome device.

And to answer the original question, I think it's fine. Just because Samsung is offering 4.8" doesn't mean everyone else has to. Some people prefer smaller; it's easier to use with one hand, for example. ****, Apple's iPhone 5 is going to have a 4.0 inch screen. Not 4.8, not 4.5, not 4.3, but 4.0.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm glad the Lumia 920 and the Ativ S aren't identical. This way, we have real meaningful choices.

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
4.3" is already good but 4.8" with a huge bezel is not good and by the way we have W8 tablets for large screens.

Are we sure that Lumia 920 will not come as 4.8"

Last edited:

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Lets not forget smaller screen = better battery life.

While I like a big screen, there's a balance that has to be made, otherwise we'll all be walking around with iPad phones soon.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Choices are better. Sammy has a 4.8", Nokia does 4.5" which is still a very large screen. HTC will release several different sizes, and I have heard Samsung will do at least one more mid-range WP. That should be smaller. (Rumors of a WP Note haven't completely died yet, either.) Right now there is a reader thinking to themselves:

"I would LOVE a WP... but why can't those great specs come with a 4.0" screen or smaller like I like it?"

oldgaius

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Not at all disappointed. Relieved more than anything! My suit jackets have pockets which fit iPhone 4 and Lumia 800 quite nicely. I don't even know if I'll get a 4.5" in there, never mind 4.8"! And as far as trouser pockets go, I'm of a slim build so the size of my pockets frown on the trend of ever-growing phones. Keeping it in a briefcase or bag is not practical.

Apple largely rely on one phone size to appeal to all people. If large screens were the best thing since sliced bread, they'd be going there and marking it as an innovation. But the larger you go, the more people you cut off. Apple can't afford to do this when it relies on one product to hit all. Other manufacturers diversify and do have smaller phones alongside their larger flagships... but my concern is that these will be lower-specced and not simply 'flagship but smaller'. With WP7 manufacturers hit the ceiling with all sizes and form factors so it hasn't been an issue... but it's noticeable with Android handsets and I worry it may happen with WP8. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

oldgaius

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Lets not forget smaller screen = better battery life.

While I like a big screen, there's a balance that has to be made, otherwise we'll all be walking around with iPad phones soon.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express
Bigger screen = bigger battery, so not always the case. (IIRC the Lumia 900 has the same, if not better, battery life than the 800.) However, bigger battery = more weight. It's all about compromises and trade-offs. I just hope manufacturers don't put all their best-specced phones in the gargantuan phone basket. Us Brits aren't as fond of them as the people across the pond!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Bigger screen = bigger battery, so not always the case. (IIRC the Lumia 900 has the same, if not better, battery life than the 800.) However, bigger battery = more weight. It's all about compromises and trade-offs. I just hope manufacturers don't put all their best-specced phones in the gargantuan phone basket. Us Brits aren't as fond of them as the people across the pond!
Point taken. Even as I mentioned in the above post that someone would want a premium device in a 4" screen size, I still wasn't thinking a world wide audience. Nokia released the smaller screened "mid range" 710 and 800 first, then got around to the "top end" 900. But, the 900 wasn't in anywhere near as many markets as the smaller devices, telling me there is worldwide a larger market for smaller.

Surely Nokia, Samsung, and HTC know their audience, right??

Personally, I would be happy with a 4" screen or slightly smaller if it had a physical keyboard. When it is a full touch screen, that is when I want bigger.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Yep, huge disappointment. I need at least 42" in my phone just to cover all bases for the next year. Then I want 65". /s

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
While other manufacturers are constantly pushing the 4.8"+ range, I'd in fact want Nokia keep it toned down and restore a little bit of sense. When I am feeling limited on my 4.0" phone, it is remedied by moving to my 13" laptop - not by bumping up the phone's screen.

maplewebb

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
4.7-4.8" seems to be the norm for flagship phones these days and the Lumia 920 has a 4.5" screen. Anybody think Nokia will come out with a bigger screen later? Possibly with 1280 X 768 resolution?
I like Nokia, and Hope the new Lumia will bring to us with a 4.8 screen. Like Samsung galaxy S3. Then I will buy one.

Satchef1

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I had an Xperia X1 (3.2"?), then an iPhone 3G (3.5"), a HTC Trophy (3.8") and a Lumia 710 (3.7"). Jumping up to the ~4.5" mark is enough of a leap, thanks. I suspect it's going to be enough of a shock as it is.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm not disappointed at all. I'd be totally happy with a 4.3-4.5" screen. Really wish they'd surprise us and release them now.

trazer

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
4.5 is fine for me, I want 4.3 to 4.8, and 4.3 is pushing the low end of what I prefer. I carry a Ttian II now and it's fine but I can lose that little bit without hurting.

Like the 920 a lot, but as someone who does not take many photos I do not really see anything groundbreaking that I absolutely need at this point. I still want one, but maybe by the time I'm looking for a real replacement it will be cheaper for the 940 or whatever will be coming with even more.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3